110 Springs - OME or LR HD? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:47 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
110 Springs - OME or LR HD?

Got my frame in and want to make a roller out of it soon and the main thing I am missing are springs.

I have used OME's on my 90 and was mostly happy with them.

Going over the specs the OME 2" set is pretty close to the LR HD setup save for the rear:

OME 2751 Front: 225 lb/in - 15.3" & 14.9"
LR 9448/9449 F: 225 lb/in - 15.3" & 14.8"

OME 2755 -Rear: 300 lb/in - 17.1" & 17.1"
LR 6904/6389 R: 330 lb/in - 15.5" & 16.0"

With the 3 door style I am guessing I will have more weight over the rear wheels than a 5 door. I am thinking LR HD's and adjust with spring isolators up front if I need to fine tune. I am looking for 2" lift so no need for RTE's or OME's taller/stiffer spring. I will be running 35" tires eventually but they were fine on my NAS 90 with the 2" OME and extended bumpstops.

Seeing if anyone has any insight or experience with either spring sets.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
With the 3 door style I am guessing I will have more weight over the rear wheels than a 5 door.
Why? 3 door body will weigh less than a 5-door tub and doors and glass...

Assuming you run without back seats the longer load area would let you distribute the weight more evenly and closer to the centerline. If anything you may end up carrying more weight overall as its easier to pack it in without seats in the way.

If you plan to run it loaded all the time - travel only rig or extended travel then it makes sense to go strong on the rears. If more mixed use is expected with some very heavy loads I'd look into running mid weight rears with 130 type helper springs.
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'm about to put 3" RTE on my double cap in the front to try and level it out.
I have 2"terrafirma all around right now, but it noes dices quite a bit. I'm going to install the 3" RTE springs tomorrow to try and get the front up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2013, 12:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Why? 3 door body will weigh less than a 5-door tub and doors and glass... Assuming you run without back seats the longer load area would let you distribute the weight more evenly and closer to the centerline. If anything you may end up carrying more weight overall as its easier to pack it in without seats in the way. If you plan to run it loaded all the time - travel only rig or extended travel then it makes sense to go strong on the rears. If more mixed use is expected with some very heavy loads I'd look into running mid weight rears with 130 type helper springs.
Sorry I meant to say it will be lighter than a 5 door especially now that it is a soft top.

I am planning on 2 rows of seats - 4 total in the back. Payload should be light - tools and recovery gear when off road will be at most what it sees.

Thanks for the response - let me know what you think with the added info.
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Stock rears on 3 door 110s are pretty tall to begin with. They have a good 1-1.5in rake empty. I would see what it looked like stock before spending money on springs.
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Sorry I meant to say it will be lighter than a 5 door especially now that it is a soft top.

I am planning on 2 rows of seats - 4 total in the back. Payload should be light - tools and recovery gear when off road will be at most what it sees.

Thanks for the response - let me know what you think with the added info.
Considering the added details I would go with a mid-weight or even light-weight if running primarily off-road with light/no load. I don't have experience with OME on Defenders so I won't comment there. I've run OEM LR HD rears on my 110 and 130 (with helpers) and TerraFirma light and medium on a 110 as well. LR OEM HD were good when unloaded (not too stiff) but too weak with a heavy load (would want helpers if using with heavy loads off-road and on road). The TF mediums in an unloaded 110 are a stiff ride nicely firm - more than capable in a very heavily loaded 110 on pavement (very very heavy load)

FWIW I am running the TerraFirma std length expedition shocks and 33" or smaller wheels - trying to keep the overall height down so the truck fits in the garage.

I'd look at the TF Medium springs if you want very stiff ride without risk of tire rub from compression, or Land Rover OEM / TF Light springs with extended bump stops for a softer ride and better articulation off road - (TF "light" for the 110 are the same as a 130 standard rear). Mediums up front with a winch bumper and winch or bonnet spare.

Assuming you have the old springs sitting around, you can stick them on the roller and change them out once you've finished the truck and driven it a bit. Changing springs is a 20 min job on the rears (if clean and not rusted to hell)
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
On my 3 door TiTh I went with +2" Terra Firma HD up front and Med duty in the rear. It rides great both on and off road and the only time I have really had the rear end squat down was coming back from Conclave with all my camping gear and RURRing a 200tdi that was sitting directly over the back axel.

My truck is pretty heavy unloaded, a Hi Lift jack mounted on top of an ARB front bumper with winch, and a 255/85R16 on a wolf rim sitting on the hood. Plus I have the full monty Safety Devices internal/external Tithonus roll cage with the added support bracing around the bed. I also have a 33x12.5R15 mounted on a swingaway tire carrier out back.

So I am heavy even before I get in the truck but several people who have ridden on the trails with me have commented on what a nice ride it has and it articulates very well and rides like a cadillac on the street. My .02 cents.

Raub
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:28 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I run 130 spec outers on the rear and standard 90 rears on the front. It's firm and sits level.
Smooth ride when well loaded up.
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:47 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
I bought the OME HD kit from RN a couple of years ago. Ride is pretty rough unloaded, but doable. Also, I ended up having to replace the rear driveshaft with a DC unit to get rid of a nasty vibration from the rear.
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The LR HD fronts are stock 90 rears. You should be able to get them free from anyone that has lifted their 90... Or for 90 owners, moving them to the front saves money. There is really no need to pay money for front lift springs....

For the rear, you need to go aftermarket as none of the LR springs work well for a lift. Lot of choices there including air bags or complete air springs. For a 110, I'm on board with the Aussy trend of using air springs. They are cheap and durable and allow for the large change in load weights that a 110 sees.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:28 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Considering the added details I would go with a mid-weight or even light-weight if running primarily off-road with light/no load. I don't have experience with OME on Defenders so I won't comment there. I've run OEM LR HD rears on my 110 and 130 (with helpers) and TerraFirma light and medium on a 110 as well. LR OEM HD were good when unloaded (not too stiff) but too weak with a heavy load (would want helpers if using with heavy loads off-road and on road). The TF mediums in an unloaded 110 are a stiff ride nicely firm - more than capable in a very heavily loaded 110 on pavement (very very heavy load)

FWIW I am running the TerraFirma std length expedition shocks and 33" or smaller wheels - trying to keep the overall height down so the truck fits in the garage.

I'd look at the TF Medium springs if you want very stiff ride without risk of tire rub from compression, or Land Rover OEM / TF Light springs with extended bump stops for a softer ride and better articulation off road - (TF "light" for the 110 are the same as a 130 standard rear). Mediums up front with a winch bumper and winch or bonnet spare.

Assuming you have the old springs sitting around, you can stick them on the roller and change them out once you've finished the truck and driven it a bit. Changing springs is a 20 min job on the rears (if clean and not rusted to hell)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
On my 3 door TiTh I went with +2" Terra Firma HD up front and Med duty in the rear. It rides great both on and off road and the only time I have really had the rear end squat down was coming back from Conclave with all my camping gear and RURRing a 200tdi that was sitting directly over the back axel.

My truck is pretty heavy unloaded, a Hi Lift jack mounted on top of an ARB front bumper with winch, and a 255/85R16 on a wolf rim sitting on the hood. Plus I have the full monty Safety Devices internal/external Tithonus roll cage with the added support bracing around the bed. I also have a 33x12.5R15 mounted on a swingaway tire carrier out back.

So I am heavy even before I get in the truck but several people who have ridden on the trails with me have commented on what a nice ride it has and it articulates very well and rides like a cadillac on the street. My .02 cents.

Raub
Raub and MyBluett - many thanks for the detailed posts. I will add TF stuff to the list and see if I can find out their tech specs (spring rate and spring height). It sounds like TF might be the only company making a light duty spring for the rear of a 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Stock rears on 3 door 110s are pretty tall to begin with. They have a good 1-1.5in rake empty. I would see what it looked like stock before spending money on springs.
Agree - mine had the rake when I got it. Does anyone know the stock rear springs part number or paint code on a 3 door 110? I tried to get the paint codes off last night but the rear springs are covered in surface rust.

I also need to add that in it's current state the 110 has the front OME 751's that I had my NAS 90. I don't have the winch installed and I am not sure what the weight differences between the 2.5 vs the OM617 but I would guess it would be around the same height. Driving wise it is better than when I first got it but I'd wager that all the bushings are a little worn and the truck does have some float. That being said it goes down the road pretty straight. Stance as it is right now is perfect.

Reason I am buying new springs is I have a new chassis and want clean/new items to bolt up to it and I want to keep the blue 110 in running condition for as long as I can and make the chassis as complete as I can. For the relatively low price of new springs I can have a nice rollable chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The LR HD fronts are stock 90 rears. You should be able to get them free from anyone that has lifted their 90... Or for 90 owners, moving them to the front saves money. There is really no need to pay money for front lift springs....

For the rear, you need to go aftermarket as none of the LR springs work well for a lift. Lot of choices there including air bags or complete air springs. For a 110, I'm on board with the Aussy trend of using air springs. They are cheap and durable and allow for the large change in load weights that a 110 sees.
I read some of your posts about the HD front being stock 90 rears and that actually got me thinking of going LR OEM springs vs. aftermarket. I think I am mostly figured out for the front (LR HD's or OME's 2751s).

For the rear I am thinking a stock 110 spring will actually lift my truck but I don't want it to ride like an weighted 5/4 ton pickup truck.

Any more info on those air springs?

One more thing to add: I am going with Fox Emulsion non-res shocks. I already have the fronts that I was going to install on the 90 but didn't get to.

Thanks!
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Raub and MyBluett - many thanks for the detailed posts. I will add TF stuff to the list and see if I can find out their tech specs (spring rate and spring height). It sounds like TF might be the only company making a light duty spring for the rear of a 110.

Agree - mine had the rake when I got it. Does anyone know the stock rear springs part number or paint code on a 3 door 110? I tried to get the paint codes off last night but the rear springs are covered in surface rust.

I also need to add that in it's current state the 110 has the front OME 751's that I had my NAS 90. I don't have the winch installed and I am not sure what the weight differences between the 2.5 vs the OM617 but I would guess it would be around the same height. Driving wise it is better than when I first got it but I'd wager that all the bushings are a little worn and the truck does have some float. That being said it goes down the road pretty straight. Stance as it is right now is perfect.

Reason I am buying new springs is I have a new chassis and want clean/new items to bolt up to it and I want to keep the blue 110 in running condition for as long as I can and make the chassis as complete as I can. For the relatively low price of new springs I can have a nice rollable chassis.

I read some of your posts about the HD front being stock 90 rears and that actually got me thinking of going LR OEM springs vs. aftermarket. I think I am mostly figured out for the front (LR HD's or OME's 2751s).

For the rear I am thinking a stock 110 spring will actually lift my truck but I don't want it to ride like an weighted 5/4 ton pickup truck.

One more thing to add: I am going with Fox Emulsion non-res shocks. I already have the fronts that I was going to install on the 90 but didn't get to.

Thanks!
Three door and soft top trucks that didn't have the self leveling unit on the rear A arm typically came with HD rear springs which resulted in rake to the front until laden. Trucks with the boge self leveling unit were able to run a softer spring which is why most 5 doors ride nicer.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you just need something to keep it up in the air while you create a roller, I have a set of NAS 110 rears you can borrow. I also have a basement full of suspension parts and axles you are welcome to for basically free.
Old October 30th, 2013, 06:15 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Three door and soft top trucks that didn't have the self leveling unit on the rear A arm typically came with HD rear springs which resulted in rake to the front until laden. Trucks with the boge self leveling unit were able to run a softer spring which is why most 5 doors ride nicer.
Ah, that makes sense. If I go the LR HD 110 kit I should yield a close stance and ride as I have now. That at least gives me a baseline to compare other setups from. Thanks Doug

------ Follow up post added October 30th, 2013 06:24 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If you just need something to keep it up in the air while you create a roller, I have a set of NAS 110 rears you can borrow. I also have a basement full of suspension parts and axles you are welcome to for basically free.
Thanks Ron - that is very cool of you to offer! The rears in my 110 will take more many hours to get cleaned up then they are worth so I won't use them. I am going to put in the research a bit more and get new and hopefully correct springs right off that bat. But again thanks for the offer and the info. up:
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:21 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I think I have figured out the setup I want to go with (thanks to Red's spring chart - http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html):

LR RKB101111 R: 270/420 lb/in - 16.1"

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/RKB101111.html - these are progressive with less of a spring rate at the beginning. Rovers North has them on their site too.
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:27 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
LR RKB101111 R: 270/420 lb/in - 16.1"
That's what I have on the front, gives about +1" with a 200tdi sitting in the engine bay.
Those rears look interesting.
NRC6904 and NRC6389 on the rear makes my station wagon sit level.

Gives a firm ride, I've been very happy with that setup.
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
That's what I have on the front, gives about +1" with a 200tdi sitting in the engine bay. Those rears look interesting. NRC6904 and NRC6389 on the rear makes my station wagon sit level. Gives a firm ride, I've been very happy with that setup.
Thanks Mike - the front have the same specs as my OME's so I should be close to what I have now. I add the Disco 2 turret rings which give about a half inch so if I get 1.5" lift I will be happy.

I will give them a go - the progressive rate has me interested. And like was mentioned I can swap them out real quick if they don't give me what I want.
Old October 31st, 2013, 01:15 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Staying with a softer spring and adding air bags (Air Lift #61724) worked well for our 5 dr 110. Ours has the factory springs, but our leveling device is shot, and the rear would sag and roll when we were heavily loaded. I put the air bags in and they made a HUGE difference for us! They stabilized the rear end and are very adjustable for various loads. They've only been on for about 6 months now, so I can't speak to how they're going to last, but they were a good price and have worked well for us so far...
Old April 8th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB - Alpine White

Registry
Don - how'd you end up liking those springs? I'm about to re-spring a 110 as well with similar goals as you had, and not too dissimilar of a weight distribution.

Thanks,

Sam

'95 RRC CountyLWB - dripping all over central TX
'83 110 HCPU - in piceces, all over central TX
'90 RRC Truggy - loud and proud
'95 RRC CountyLWB Beluga Black - SOLD
'01 P38 - POS Leaked Electricity - SOLD
Old April 8th, 2016, 11:04 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagey71 View Post
Don - how'd you end up liking those springs? I'm about to re-spring a 110 as well with similar goals as you had, and not too dissimilar of a weight distribution. Thanks, Sam
Hey Sam-

I totally forgot about this thread, haha

I ended up with a LR HD spring set from Rovers North. I still don't have many miles on this build but from the quick spins they are decent.

I have recently acquired some OME medium rear 110 springs that I will use with OME HD fronts I had from my NAS 90. Those will sit on the shelf for a little while tho until I get some other things done. I want to finding the interior and see how the extra weight does with the LR HD spring set.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags