110 Sliders. Mantec or Terrafirma or? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2011, 01:30 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

110 Sliders. Mantec or Terrafirma or?

I like the Mantecs because of the high lift socket.
I like the Terrafirma because the bars push out more for use as a step

I suppose I could weld in a socket into the Terrafirmas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

Posting this for a friend in response to your question...

Safari Equip in the UK has rock sliders w/ tree/nerf bar with the jack points lowered.

http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=8

Rob
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The safari equip ones have no strong mounting system, they are simply bolted to the ends of the outriggers, very dissapointing. However nowhwere near as dissapointing with their lack of customer service. They STILL owe me about $100 for parts never received and have ignored all emails about getting things worked out. (Actually all emails that were not sent pre-sale, you only get their attention until they get your money., and I bought a LOT of stuff).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The Mantecs also only mount to the sills and are weak, and from the photos, it looks like the Terrafima ones are the same. I ended up using the Mantecs as a base, then welded on frame mounts and tree sliders.

Semper Fi!
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
What I did with mine is weld a piece of angled iron on it so it can be bolted two time on the front outriggers. That way I can jack up the truck without twisting the rock slider. It's not a hard job to do. Need to drill a second hole in the outriggers but the gain strain is considerable. At the back I did the same thing and it also support the jerry can weight. (military 110).
Old January 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson

unfortunate to hear, Andrew, as the Safari Equip looked to be what I was looking for. The pic of the 90 version has struts for frame mounting. This no so on the 110 version? that would be wierd.

the Terrafirma's don't look like they have frame struts either.

crap. looks like I'll be making my own that have everything I want
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The only real option in terms of strength was the SafariGard ones. It seems like most of the sliders on the market now are simply glorified sills.

Semper Fi!
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The SG ones were not better unless you bought the HD version.

You need 3 connection points, with at least one to the frame. MadCowDungBeatles sliders are the best available. Contact him to see when you can get a set.

Old January 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just installed the TerraFirma sliders with tree bars on my 90 this weekend. They do have a strut/post that slides in and mounts to the tube in the frame.

The frame mount in the front has a post sticking out on it so they don't mount flush to the frame tab. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Are all NAS defenders like this?

Can everyone who made modifications and reinforcements post pictures? It would be much appreciated. I would like to add a third mounting point with minimal changes to the frame. Thanks!
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
The SG ones were not better unless you bought the HD version.

You need 3 connection points, with at least one to the frame. MadCowDungBeatles sliders are the best available. Contact him to see when you can get a set.
This. I know what I am talking about.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have the terrafirma's on the 130. I have put one up against a tree and turned into the tree, eased the clutch out, and pivoted on the tree on the tree/nerf bars. If its strong enough for a 130 it should be strong enough for a California ride to Neimans...

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 11th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

How many frame mounting points does the 130 sliders have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi
I have the terrafirma's on the 130. I have put one up against a tree and turned into the tree, eased the clutch out, and pivoted on the tree on the tree/nerf bars. If its strong enough for a 130 it should be strong enough for a California ride to Neimans...
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I spent about 6 months trying to buy a wheel carrier from them. I gave them my cc info twice and they even went as far as to say it had shipped (twice) when in reality they did nothing. From what I can tell they are a small shop and I'm guess that the fabrication is farmed out elsewhere as they were completely unable to deliver the quoted goods. Not to mention the fit issues I have seen in the sliders, one list member here bought a set and they did not even come close to fitting his 90. Suppose it could have been his truck that was built poorly as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
The safari equip ones have no strong mounting system, they are simply bolted to the ends of the outriggers, very dissapointing. However nowhwere near as dissapointing with their lack of customer service. They STILL owe me about $100 for parts never received and have ignored all emails about getting things worked out. (Actually all emails that were not sent pre-sale, you only get their attention until they get your money., and I bought a LOT of stuff).
Old January 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
.... If its strong enough for a 130 it should be strong enough for a California ride to Neimans...
...Neimans?!?! that's just low. I'm more a Nordstrom's type a guy.

Just for that. Where are my doors, dammit?

hmmm, ok. Could use the Terra's as a base and reinforce if deemed necessary for the hazards of stray shipping carts. Need to add the highlift point anyway....
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Tony- If you want to make a set you can always borrow mine to use as a template.
I have the old SG's with some added reinforcement.
Old January 11th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
...Neimans?!?! that's just low. I'm more a Nordstrom's type a guy.

Just for that. Where are my doors, dammit?

hmmm, ok. Could use the Terra's as a base and reinforce if deemed necessary for the hazards of stray shipping carts. Need to add the highlift point anyway....

LOL. In good concience I cannot ship your rear doors until you post some picturs of this truck. I haven't seen it in over a year and it apprently has changed quite a bit.

I got the Terrafirma's from Justin @ Lucky 8. I got wind that Allmakes had started that new division last year and asked him first for pictures of them, but ended up buying them sight unseen-not many slider options for 130's out there. He did me a rediculous deal.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
LOL. In good concience I cannot ship your rear doors until you post some picturs of this truck. I haven't seen it in over a year and it apprently has changed quite a bit.

I got the Terrafirma's from Justin @ Lucky 8. I got wind that Allmakes had started that new division last year and asked him first for pictures of them, but ended up buying them sight unseen-not many slider options for 130's out there. He did me a rediculous deal.
Yeah - mostly I'm just accumulating a large pile of parts in an A.D.D. fueled frenzy of ideas and desires. I did get the LHD convertion done with the TD5 dash. Liking that. (anyone need a pile of RHD parts?)....and then the usual host of maintenance issues - steering box, fuel tank, gotta look at that rear rear diff, etc.....

main drive is to get all the parts together for the ST conversion (including the whole rollcage overmolding project which is next). My brother just moved to South Africa and left me his Cherokee, so now I can just rip it apart and not try keep it functional as a daily driver while doing all this. Should help progress a little.

Thanks for the reminder about Lucky 8, much better deal than RN....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, mantec, slide