110 roof, ignition key code, windshield frame, etc... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
110 roof, ignition key code, windshield frame, etc...

I decided to get my D110 (converted from a 95 D90) back on the road again. It has been about 2 years. I need. Before I get to the parts I need, I need to get a new ignition key made for my truck! I went to my dealer and he game me my 4 digit code for my VIN, but I have tried twice now to have a key made and both times......failure. Does anyone know where to find out the Key cut patterns for a VIN Key Code? Or do you know of any places that can help me get a key made....I would give them my code and pay them if they would make a key for me (that works) and send it to me.

Now for what I need to do to my truck to get it back on the road:

1) New 110 roof
2) New windsheild frame and windshield
3) New passenger side front sliding window
4) I want to rebuild my 3.9 .... before I damaged some of the body.. :-) .... the engine was about to need a valve job....figured it is now time to do it.

Anyone know where I can get any of these parts....anyone have any?

Marty (www.travelswithrover.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, I can think of a few places to try.....
www.roversdownsouth.com
www.carcannibal.com
www.eastcoastrover.com
Or even the ever-popular E-bay.

For the key problem, I'd just take out the tumbler and bring it to a locksmith, just make sure to have a couple blanks first since they may not have them available.

Oh, VERY impressive website... where are you guys based out of? I hope you make D-90 a regular stop on your internet travellers, I'm sure we could all learn a lot from each other. Maybe even make some of the trips into a bit bigger excursion of Rovers.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:28 PM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
Thanks...We are living in Northern VA now.....I live in Manassas on the Occoquan River. I just joined back on d-90....been a few years....forgot my old account....so I re-registered under this one.

I'm hoping to get the 110 back on the road by this summer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Hey Marty,

I would try a different dealer. Mike M. at LR west chester is the key king. As far as a roof I would call george. He also has the windscreen frames. roversdownsouth.com

If you want to be cheap you could buy a SIII windscreen frame and 109 roof.

As far as the engine, I doubt a valve job is your issue unless you have 200k+ on a 3.9
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:10 AM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
Thanks Ron!,

I called Mike and he is going to help me out with the key.

As for the engine.....i have about 150K on it. I had it looked at a couple of yrs and they recommended a rebuild...i lost a lot of power and was buring oil. At about the same time.....I banged it up and decided to put it away for a couple of years before getting back on the road.....

Yesterday was day 1.....I took off my massive roll cage and started to assess the damage to the roof/windshield frame......not too bad...i got off easy!

Back to the engine....I am still a bit uncertain as to what to do....I could have my 3.9 rebuilt (not sure if that will me just heads or valves or what!!!)....or replace it with a TDI or 2.8 powerstroke......I contacted ECR and they indicated that a conversion with them would be about 21-25K.....way too much for my likings....but the cheapest I think I could do it for from what I read is about 10-15K....still pricey! But oh how nice it would be to get ~25miles/gallon!!!!

marty
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:32 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Marty- I remember checking out you webiste a while back - thats is some really cool adventuring you did - thanks for sharing it for the rest of us.

WRT to the Tdi - I'd go for it. A number of us here have recently done the Tdi swap and theres a bit of BTDT-type knowledge floating around. I would seriously call George at RDS and tell him what your project is. If youre not on a timeline, he'll pull together a complete solution for you and give you a big package price whether it be 4.6, Tdi, TD5, TD6 or whatever.

Do you do this work yourself? If not you really should. Its all just nuts and bolts.
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

For the body parts, check www.lrx.com and do a search in Canada. There are some ex-mod 110s being parted out.
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:45 PM
martym
Marty Marcinczyk
95 D110

Registry
Thanks again. When we were on our trip...we met up with guys out in Portland and we built them a webpage off of our site.....

http://www.travelswithrover.com/Quatro.html

Tim and Steve ran this place back then and they were doing some real cool stuff with their LRs....including throwing in a 350 chevy in one of their custom RRs. Mike Slade (we met him there) also was building his 130 then.....I'll have to get back in touch with those guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 110 roof, roof