110 Heater Hose Routing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2006, 01:47 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

110 Heater Hose Routing

I just bought a 110 from SoCal that had the heater bypassed. Needless to say, I need the heater here in Colorado. All my hoses are there, but I need to know which hose hooks where (probably shouldn't matter, but I thought I'd get it right).

One of my coolant hoses has what appears to be a vacuum operated valve on it. If someone with a 110 could take a quick peek and let me know which heater fitting it hooks to (firewall or grill side), I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks!

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

That vacuum valve is the on-off for the heat flow. That's the inflow line to the heat exchance box I believe. I dont' have the truck with me, and mines been pulled apart and back togheter so many times I wouldn't know if its the 'right' direction or not, but I agree -- don't think it matters.

It may be disconnected because the core was leaking. Hook it up and let it run for a while and check. Or carry a jug of pre-mixed antifreeze. Since the core is in the engine bay box, you don't have to worry about it leaking all over hte ECU.

Doug W.
Old January 31st, 2006, 04:19 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
It may be disconnected because the core was leaking. Hook it up and let it run for a while and check. Or carry a jug of pre-mixed antifreeze. Since the core is in the engine bay box, you don't have to worry about it leaking all over hte ECU.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. But, supposedly it's been bypassed for years, so who knows. We'll find out tonight. Don't just love unraveling a previous owner's "maintenance"?

Thanks for the confirmation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Oh, you have nooo idea...

My girl was a salvage, with spray painted bondo in the frame rails.

I hate to think of the sheer hell a next owner would go through though. Chammy has so many wires and tubes and hoses and kinky solutions that, as I've said, I need to take her to the grave with me.

Doug W.
Old January 31st, 2006, 04:34 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Oh, you have nooo idea...

My girl was a salvage, with spray painted bondo in the frame rails.

I hate to think of the sheer hell a next owner would go through though. Chammy has so many wires and tubes and hoses and kinky solutions that, as I've said, I need to take her to the grave with me.
Hah! Too funny. Well, maybe not. So far I've been pretty lucky. From the crawling around I've done under her, there's no rust and just the "usual" leaks. Mainly needs cosmetics.

Needs tires pretty bad (dry rotted Michelin 7.5x16s) and I'm trying to decide whether I should go with some D-90 alloys or keep the white rims. Also gonna need new springs and shocks. Probably go with OMEs and Bilsteins. Which OMEs did you go with on your 110?

Also need a new windscreen. I about choked on Rovers North's price for the heated one.

Old January 31st, 2006, 07:34 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I've done OMEs, on Koni HT now, and will soon be installling Koni HT Raid from 4x4AG.

BTW, the BEST mod I have done to date is a Scorpion HD anti-roll bar with quick disconnects. Just installed this weekend and I'm under the illusion that the truck is a Ferrari. Also from 4X4AG.

Second best is the TVR engine, third is an aftermarket rear view with compass, reading lights and thermometer.

Doug W.
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:28 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Well fack me. Hooked up the hoses tonight and all looked good....for awhile. Then all hell broke loose and coolant was running everywhere. Looks like I need a new heater core. Looks like it's a sucky job too.

Thanks for the info!

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:32 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Get Rovers North on the job. They found a whole heater box for me. Took a while to get it from the UK.

Doug W.
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:01 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Will do, thanks!

Are you using OME Springs? I was looking on 4x4AGs site and they sell Scorpion's springs. I haven't heard much about them.

Old February 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Chance, Changing the heater core is not a big deal. You can find them for around 100$ (atlantic british). just a couple of rivits... out and in. while you are in there check the motor and box for crud.
Old February 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Thanks for the info. Is the 90 heater core the same as on the 110? Most places don't list it as fitting a 110 also.

Old February 1st, 2006, 02:02 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Not sure... I'll keep you posted though, I'm going to order that 99$ one today then try to fit in in my 110. Although mine is not a NAS so it my not be much help to you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, heater