110 Headliner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

110 Headliner

Final question of 2009. I removed my headliner today to have it recovered. I plan to dynamat the roof and put in three new style lights. I muscled it to get it out. I am wondering what interior trim pieces need to be removed to put it back in? Also do I have to loosen the interior cage to get it in?

Any help and tips would be much appreciated. Also anyone who put the three lights in, how do you wire it? I assume three splices of some sort.

Any help appreciated. Happy new year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Barry... you took the headliner out without removing interior trim?....
You'll need to pull the surrounds by the back windows, the trims around the side windows, and the pieces that are above the middle set of doors.
When installing, use new pins, but let them sit in a mug of hot water while you're doing it.. trust me.
Three lights? Two work very well.
The roll cage doesn't have to be touched.
The piece above the drivers area goes in first, through the front doors. Then the middle section. For the rear, you'll have to bend it in half(yeah sounds nuts, but it works) and fit it in place. You'll see thin plastic trims by the middle doors that need to be re-adjusted.
Then fit the header piece over the rear door.
I use a tapered punch to help with hole realignment of the pins.
Good Luck!
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:36 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
Barry... you took the headliner out without removing interior trim?....
Muscled it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
Three lights? Two work very well.
Where would you use two? I was thinking three like Ze did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR
The piece above the drivers area goes in first, through the front doors. Then the middle section. For the rear, you'll have to bend it in half(yeah sounds nuts, but it works) and fit it in place. You'll see thin plastic trims by the middle doors that need to be re-adjusted.
Weird I removed the middle section first. I thought that had to come out before the back.

Anyone know the part number for the pins?

Any ideas on wiring.

thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2009, 10:52 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Check your inbox
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

thanks the more info the better. Going to drop headliner off sat so I want to figure it all out before reinstall
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:33 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

What are you having done to your liners? I ask, because I just saw a pretty cool set up. This guy took the fabric off of his and had them rhino lined this light grey/ speckle finish and it actually looked pretty good. No more sagging and dirty prints wash right off!
Old January 1st, 2010, 12:20 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Ah I know the guy. He is on the board right? I was thinking new cloth
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

Hey can you guys fill me in on options for headliner? mine is sagging and been tossing ideas on what to do about it...... thanks phil
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Pull it. Any any upholstery shop can recover it.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

So my headliner is out, currently being recovered and new holes being made for the new style interior lights. I am going with three and I am wiring the lights so when the back door is opened the interior lights go on. I bought the wiring harnesses for a 90 SW so that I could do this. I also bought the switch and the plate to work the back door. I will post pictures if anyone plans to do this. On a side note my new style rear door that will eventually go on has the bracket built into the wiring harness to operate the plunger for the lights.

So recap:
Removed headliner
Checking roof for leaks
Dynamatting roof
Wiring new lights
Putting in new headliner
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

I will be doing something about my sagging roof..... hence, I'd love to see some pics
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

110 or 90?

Either way same thing. Headliner needs to be removed and old cover removed/scrap old decayed foam and add nice new cover in cloth as opposed to crap vinyl that was on it
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpigapicha View Post
Hey can you guys fill me in on options for headliner? mine is sagging and been tossing ideas on what to do about it...... thanks phil
Another option are the fibreglass ones from LaSalle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Only thing is to recover the current one is costing me $200 plus the cost of the lights and new pins. Minor when a lasalle or new headliner is over $1000
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:17 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Only thing is to recover the current one is costing me $200 plus the cost of the lights and new pins. Minor when a lasalle or new headliner is over $1000
If you import one Lasalle then yeah, probably going to eat it on shipping, if you get in on a container or something they could be reasonable, I think I could probably get one over for about $200 in shipping. The idea of a headliner you can just attach accessories to where you want is pretty attractive though. That and they're washable.

Old January 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You can get a lasalle for 200?
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:32 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

No, I meant shipping costs though might be able to get those down a bit more depending on how well the sections pack (the 110 one is obviously going to take more space), I think Clive said we can stack 3 together fairly tightly and my shipping costs are by volume not weight. So in theory a 90 should be 182GBP+shipping, a 110 217GBP, or a bit more with the speaker housing option. If a number of people were interested at once we could certainly get them down to about $500 each perhaps $600 after import costs, internal shipping etc.

Old January 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

not too bad then add shipping. I think with the NAS 110 and the cut outs for the cage, just recovering it is an easy option. It just sucks to remove.
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:16 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
No, I meant shipping costs though might be able to get those down a bit more depending on how well the sections pack (the 110 one is obviously going to take more space), I think Clive said we can stack 3 together fairly tightly and my shipping costs are by volume not weight. So in theory a 90 should be 182GBP+shipping, a 110 217GBP, or a bit more with the speaker housing option. If a number of people were interested at once we could certainly get them down to about $500 each perhaps $600 after import costs, internal shipping etc.
I'd be interested in a LaSalle group buy for my 110...
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:25 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
What are you having done to your liners? I ask, because I just saw a pretty cool set up. This guy took the fabric off of his and had them rhino lined this light grey/ speckle finish and it actually looked pretty good. No more sagging and dirty prints wash right off!
I'd love to see pics of this. Would like to do the same thing. Is he on the board?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags