110 Headliner - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2010, 01:54 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

rhino lined http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...adliner&page=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2010, 02:22 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Current progress. Have the dynamat in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	24233  
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:06 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Current progress. Have the dynamat in.
Looks good, Dynamat mass-loading helps reduce drumming, but are you also going to put in a noise absorbing layer? Something like VB2-HD?

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/car_nois...ol/vb_2_hd.htm

This is what I am planning on putting in my doors between the cards and the frame (as in the photos). For the mass loading I will likely use a butyl sheeting in some places and a spray-on damper in others. The main thing is not to miss anywhere, any interruption in the noise blocking layer, however small will allow a lot of sound transmission.

Still trying to decide on what to use on the engine side of the bulkhead, likely a spray on topped with a high-heat blanket of some kind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
interesting. I'm not sure I believe this. can you show us some performance figures on your product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Looks good, Dynamat mass-loading helps reduce drumming, but are you also going to put in a noise absorbing layer? Something like VB2-HD?

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/car_nois...ol/vb_2_hd.htm

This is what I am planning on putting in my doors between the cards and the frame (as in the photos). For the mass loading I will likely use a butyl sheeting in some places and a spray-on damper in others. The main thing is not to miss anywhere, any interruption in the noise blocking layer, however small will allow a lot of sound transmission.

Still trying to decide on what to use on the engine side of the bulkhead, likely a spray on topped with a high-heat blanket of some kind.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:51 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Dynamat makes that stuff as well. I could do a layer of it as well just not sure I want to deal with spending or adding another layer everywhere.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Dynamat makes that stuff as well. I could do a layer of it as well just not sure I want to deal with spending or adding another layer everywhere.
Well, in the end the areas to focus on for damper stoping noise are the footwells, tunnel, and seatbox but these probably only make up a small amount of the noise you hear, the rest is structural bound which is very hard to deal with (chassis etc), but the worst of all is gaps around things like doors, vents, etc. All the products to reduce vibration are great, but make sure you focus on the basics of just ensuring you have an as airtight setup as possible.

As for VB2, I will show you once I get things assembled. Right now I am stuck waiting on a shipment that contains my correct new front doors and rear door before the painter can do the body panels. Well, that and swivels, new engine mounts, and the correct clutch release bearing for the 200TDI+R380 so I can mate those up. Won't really know what else is still missing until I get those in place... at least the back half of the chassis is rolling now though, and the front is nearly done... (OK, waiting on a set of Wide radius arms but those I sourced locally.)

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Headliner is in. New lights are in. Issue - can't seem to line up half the headliner pins with the roof holes.

thoughts?

I am contemplating pulling the middle section again and looking
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

.... Fun, huh?.....

I use a tapered punch or an awl to help locate. There is nothing "magical", just a pain in the arse. Make sure you don't booger the ends of the pins or they don't go for crap.
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Barry-

Are you going to post any photos of your handy work? I'm curious to see how your porject has turned out.

Alex
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

For sure. Raining here so will do it shortly
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

pics of the new headliner and the rear door plunger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	24782   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	24783  

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	24784  
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:57 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Has anyone recovered a headliner themselves? Just wondering how difficult it would be. A local shop quoted $250 - $300 for a D90 headliner set (front and back). Seems a bit steep. Anyone done this?
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I pulled it myself and had a shop just do the covering and it was 200
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
c2sox
Al Cruz
93 110 #428 and 01 Disco SD7

Quote:
I pulled it myself and had a shop just do the covering and it was 200
Where's the shop located, do you have the contact info? I'm thinking of having mine redone as well.

Thanks,
Al
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I just took it to an upholstery shop in Hermosa. I bought all new push pins. It is a super pain to do yourself but very doable.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:59 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90 View Post
I'd be interested in a LaSalle group buy for my 110...
Has anyone looked into a LaSalle group buy?
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I found a great local resource if anyone in the Portland, OR area is needing headliners recovered. Very nice guy, excellent job and much better price than the other quotes I got. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. PM me for contact information.
Old March 14th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm having trouble getting the rear headliner back in. I'm starting to think my inward folding rear seats are going to have to come out before I can get in there. Has anyone else struggled with this? What's really interfering with getting the headliner up towards the ceiling is the roll cage bar. Does that have to come out?
Old March 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

When I did mine I took the trim off that is behind the jump seats. That trim goes behind jump seats and around windows to roof. Its a pain to leave it in.
Old March 14th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Do you mean the rear side window trim? I don't have any and I still am having trouble. I can only get one side up towards the ceiling but not over the roll bar and the other side wont even go over the rear seats. Something is going to have to come out I'm afraid.

Quote:
When I did mine I took the trim off that is behind the jump seats. That trim goes behind jump seats and around windows to roof. Its a pain to leave it in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags