110 Gas tank and skid plate questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2008, 07:16 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

110 Gas tank and skid plate questions

So I am doing alot of work on the new 110. Today I removed the rear skid plate so that I could paint the tank and all when I paint the frame. My truck has kind if a weird setup. It has two skid plates. One is steel that is attachted to the rear bumper and the other is a 1/2 thick aluminum skid plate that totally covers the tank. Here is the strange part, between the large aluminum skid plate and the tank there is a thick piece of foam that is shaped to the tank and the skid plate. the problem is that over time this piece of foam has held water and has made the tank surface rust on the bottom. I am going to sand the tank down and paint it and all when I do the undercarriage but I am wondering if that foam piece should be there or not? Is this common on Defenders? Seems odd to me because common sense tells you that moisture is going to be trapped between there. Should I just remove it or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
if one is steel and the other is aluminum you need something to isolate the disimilar metals.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Between the metal gas tank and the aluminum skid plate? This is a thick piece of foam about 2 1/2" thick though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
if its 2.5 inches just ditch the foam-just make sure the aluminum and steel dont touch anywhere

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 6th, 2008, 09:25 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Doug have you ever seen anything like this before? Not sure what brand of skid plate or where in the world it came from.
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
no but it sounds beefy- although it might be reducing your ground clearance.

post a picture

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Have the steel one Rhino Lined.
Then it won't rust again, it will be insulated to dis-similar metals.

DJ
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

Thanks for the replies guys. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. My gas tank (bottom side) is where the surface rust is.Between the gas tank and the first skid palte is a piece of foam about 2 1/2" thick,then comes the 1/2" thick aluminum skid plate, and then when I put the bumper back on it also has a 1/4 thick stee skid plate welded to it but it does not totally cover the whole tank like the aluminum one does. The rust on the tank is from where the thick piece of foam has held moisture right up against the tank for extended periods of time.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Support ...

Well the original OEM design kind of supposes support of the "belly" of the tank and is probably the reason you have the foam between the tanks belly and the skid plate. As for the necessity of the support I cannot say as I have never explored that issue. Will it break the fastening tabs at each end if you don't support the "belly" ? Beats me but I would not want it to happen to me in the middle of nowhere.

My 02 cents.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old June 7th, 2008, 03:22 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Kelly - On a stock NAS 110, there is only one steel (sheet metal) "skid" plate which mounts directly to the tank, and no foam. It's really not a skid plate, but a mounting cradle. Sounds like someone has modified that area or maybe you don't have an NAS? I don't know if the arrangement you describe is even used on any Euro models. Might be an aftermarket skid plate that was added by the PO?
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly

The Defender is a NAS #280 to be exact and it is pretty heavily modified. Everything from front and rear winches, suspension, 300Tdi, air lockers, diff guards, and upgraded front and rear skids. I was pretty certain that it was not the stock skid plate but I thought maybe it was a common aftermarket model.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, gas, gas tank