110 electrical issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
bcourtney
Robert Courtney
1973 Series III 200TDI

110 electrical issue

I was heading out yesterday in my 110 and it started acting like it was running out of gas and then quit running. I knew I had almost a full tank but the gauge was reading empty. When you turn the key to the first notch, the parking lights come on and the battery light on the dash goes off and all the guages go dead, after 2-3 seconds the parking lights go off and all the dash lights come back. Oh and a relay under dash clicks. Once you turn the key to start it goes back to the first part and it doesn't start. One more thing the code reader under the dash on the passenger side reads 44. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Check the battery and connections.
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Bob, the 02 code is probably not related unless you got a bunch of backfiring. When did the CEL come on?

The rest of the issues is a short bettween the tailights and the fuel pump....I e-mailed all that to you...which is why the tailight comes on for a few seconds when you try to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcourtney
I knew I had almost a full tank but the gauge was reading empty. When you turn the key to the first notch, the parking lights come on and the battery light on the dash goes off and all the guages go dead, after 2-3 seconds the parking lights go off and all the dash lights come back. Oh and a relay under dash clicks. Once you turn the key to start it goes back to the first part and it doesn't start. One more thing the code reader under the dash on the passenger side reads 44. Any thoughts?
Definitely sounds like you have an electrical problem....
Check the battery and make sure it's good and in good condition (and that the wires are attached properly/not moving by hand).
Check the ground connections everywhere (look for corrosion at the ground wire connections).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
The rest of the issues is a short bettween the tailights and the fuel pump....I e-mailed all that to you...which is why the tailight comes on for a few seconds when you try to start.
Duh.... should have read the other posts earlier..... That would definitely explain all the symptoms.

So I guess this is not a "new" problem for you?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:40 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
So I guess this is not a "new" problem for you?
not "new" for me, seems as if half of every day lately has been spent crawling around under the ass end of one Defender or another fixing shot wiring, lighting fixtures, or the miriad of odd modifications and bizzaar repairs that seem to frequent these things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, electrical