110 Dormobile Top Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2015, 04:23 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

110 Dormobile Top Questions

Anyone move a Dormobile camper fiberglass clam shell from a 109 roof onto a 110 roof?
I already have a 109 Dormobile roof and want to end up with a 110 Dormobile Roof.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:03 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Interesting....

It looks like a possibility: http://www.dormobile.co.uk/pdfs/conversionROW.pdf but since thats on the internet, lets not believe it....
Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I already have a 109 Dormobile roof and want to end up with a 110 Dormobile Roof using the parts from the 109 Dormobile top.
I don't want to buy a new roof kit, but will buy the spare parts and weatherstripping from Dormobile UK when I move the opening fiberglass clam shell over to the 110 roof.

I want to talk to someone who has already done this work to go over the steps and lessons learned.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2015, 07:01 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Yo, anyone?

Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:48 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Must be breaking new ground... will have to document the process.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Robert,

I have not completed the task, but I may have some insights from up to where I am in the process. Is your donor roof a ribbed 110 roof or smooth? I ended up buying a 110 dormobile roof with the fiberglass damaged and am swapping the good 109 fiberglass on it. The photos on Teri Ann's website show the reinforcement brackets which are critical to move from old to new.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 05:32 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I have the Dormobile fiberglass clam shell still attached to the 109 roof so haven't started yet, but have both a smooth and ribbed 110 roof that can be used.
The smooth 110 roof has alpine windows, but the ribbed roof does not.
Am thinking the 110 ribbed roof may be the best option.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Ribbed is much better.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 09:39 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

We should discuss sometime and exchange some pictures.

Old November 24th, 2015, 06:59 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

The issue with the ribbed roof is the spot welding. It will require using a die grinder on every spot weld and chiseling with a hammer and scrapper to remove the ribs. If the front short ribs are installed (like the 109 roof has) you will have to rivet these in place as any reasonably priced spot welder isn't going to have the reach needed to replicate factory welds. I experienced this when I shrunk the 88" roof for my M101cdn trailer. I'd consider leaving the alpine window on the unhinged side for additional light assuming the gasket doesn't interfere with the dormobile top closing proper. Rivet a panel into the opposing window hole to seal it off. As for the missing windows, After some thought I'd either get the factory pieces or fit fixed (no screens or sliding panels) aftermarket windows. To supplement circulation have two screened/zippered panels sewn into the accordion (similar to the panels in a rooftop tent) to allow air movement when the top is opened.
Old November 25th, 2015, 01:44 AM
evilfij
evilfij

When you cut the roof you take all the ribs with it and then there are two pieces to cover the cut end. Robert, that sounds good. I have been working 24/7 with the house so rover stuff is back burner.
Old November 25th, 2015, 06:49 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

^ I see what you're saying. When the roof is sectioned most of those ribs go away. There are finishers for the rear portion of the ribs that remain on the sloped portion of the roof on Robert's existing dormobile top. I'm sure that 3 to 5 inches of remaining ribs will still be removed to add the finishers (die grinding and chiseling). Those finishers could be spot welded from the sectioned area prior to the frame support being installed. Harbourfreight carries 2 welders but they don't mention aluminum. A local body shop could possibly perform the task for comparable cost of such welder. That would remove the rivet issue entirely.
Old November 25th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
When you cut the roof you take all the ribs with it and then there are two pieces to cover the cut end. Robert, that sounds good. I have been working 24/7 with the house so rover stuff is back burner.
Hope you didn't change anything in my room. It was perfect the way it was.

I think Robert and I should road trip up and help you with your Rovers for a day assuming everything is still in Haverford ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:22 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
If you had the money you could sell the 109 Dormie roof locally to someone who had a 109 and purchase a 110 lifting roof directly from Dormobile ltd.

If you go ahead and strip the lifting roof off the 109 you might try to see if you can salvage the inside reinforcing ribs from the 109 and move them over to the 110 roof.

Cutting a big hole in the roof weakens it and the ribs restore the strength. There is a lot more to this than just cutting a hole in the roof and adding hinge holes on one side and a pair of latches on the other. You will need to duplicate all the reinforcing ribs.

The cost of shipping would be a bear but if it were me I'd go for a new 110 top from Dormobile ltd and offset it by selling the 109 Dormie roof locally. Of course you could ship your 110 to the UK, have them install the roof and spend the summer touring Europe before shipping the 110 back home.

Old November 25th, 2015, 10:30 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
If you had the money you could sell the 109 Dormie roof locally to someone who had a 109 and purchase a 110 lifting roof directly from Dormobile ltd.

If you go ahead and strip the lifting roof off the 109 you might try to see if you can salvage the inside reinforcing ribs from the 109 and move them over to the 110 roof.

Cutting a big hole in the roof weakens it and the ribs restore the strength. There is a lot more to this than just cutting a hole in the roof and adding hinge holes on one side and a pair of latches on the other. You will need to duplicate all the reinforcing ribs.

The cost of shipping would be a bear but if it were me I'd go for a new 110 top from Dormobile ltd and offset it by selling the 109 Dormie roof locally. Of course you could ship your 110 to the UK, have them install the roof and spend the summer touring Europe before shipping the 110 back home.
I love the way you think Teri Ann.
The reinforcement pieces are in place, but rusted.
Am considering having new ones made out of aluminum and perhaps adding a few more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Hope you didn't change anything in my room. It was perfect the way it was.

I think Robert and I should road trip up and help you with your Rovers for a day assuming everything is still in Haverford ?
That could happen!

Old November 25th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I love the way you think Teri Ann.
The reinforcement pieces are in place, but rusted.
Am considering having new ones made out of aluminum and perhaps adding a few more.

That could happen!
You would love Roach Obriens

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 25th, 2015, 02:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You are both welcome, of course, anytime I am around. The 109 roof is in Haverford, the 110 roof in Delaware. I have been working on the Delaware house. I did peel the blue wall paper from your room in Delaware Doug. The green wallpaper is still there. You can follow the house project on Houzz (JimC already found me). Same username. I would donate if someone helped me move some stuff ( I know I asked back in April, but I decided to keep both houses so the stuff is split).

Here is my new kitchen floor (quarter and riff sawn pegged random width white oak).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3455227360.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	135554  
Old November 25th, 2015, 03:13 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Is my room the one with green wallpaper?

Old November 26th, 2015, 01:30 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Is my room the one with green wallpaper?
No, that is dougs. It has both green and blue wallpaper in the same room. You can have one of the other eight spare bedrooms.
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have dibs on the jungle room in this Rover Graceland.

The floor looks great, maybe I'll high jack this thread with pix of my restored porch!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, top