110 Crew Cab conversion - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
Wink LHD import '83 and '84 110 Double Cabs

found these guys... anyone used these guys for imports? Seems like a very reasonable price etc.

http://www.globallandrovers.com/main...=arriving_soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I used Global AKA Julian to store and ship my 90.

Purchased my 90 from a dealer, had it shipped to Julian, he stored it for me and then shipped it when I asked. Prior to having my 90 shipped to Julian we discussed and agreed on rates and how things would be taken care of on both ends.

Everything went as we had agreed upon.

I should also mention that I had some parts shipped to Julian, it saved me a good amount of money having him install my seats and put the other parts in the back.

Seems like a good honest person from my dealings.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
Been talking to Julian and have come up with the following:

110 Crew Cab
300 tdi, used 31000 miles
converted to LHD
all new interior
cage like mentioned above
under the seat heater
silver paint, new
reconditioned drive train (diff, axels, transmission etc)

He is quoting me 35k, and that includes shipping to Texas... does that sound reasonable to you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Honestly, it does sound reasonable... Shawn Palmer and I just looked at a bastardized 110 DC with a carburated RR 3.5 motor, shitty auto trans conversion with no console and lots of cut corners and the guy wanted $45K. That truck was titled as a "2005 Land Rover" - No designation. I was told it was built by Richard Creed? Is that the Big Sky guy?

Old September 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
It was also a new galv chassis included in that quote... and it is an 1983 title.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Is this a quote to build one out, or is it already done? Personally I'd shell out for a couple day trip to the UK to see it in person before spending that kind of coin.
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerBT
Been talking to Julian and have come up with the following:

110 Crew Cab
300 tdi, used 31000 miles
converted to LHD
all new interior
cage like mentioned above
under the seat heater
silver paint, new
reconditioned drive train (diff, axels, transmission etc)

He is quoting me 35k, and that includes shipping to Texas... does that sound reasonable to you guys?

My only word of warning is to make sure the deal includes successful import and registration or something like that.
The EPA is really cracking down and if they find a 300 Tdi in a "1983" they could not allow it. Not saying they will, but just in case you should be clear up front on who owns what and who gets the money if you get a worst case import.

I agree... I would be off the the UK as well. I never buy anything that costly without seeing it first.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall

Registry
They have it in hand and are building it now... several interested parties... I am trying to avoid having to go over there and check it out... hence why I am asking about the reputation of this guy over there and the work that he has done. but you are probably right...a trip might be necessary.

Follow-up Post:

here is a pic of one that he has done before. This one has different wheels and a lift etc. but looks good to me?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d110.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	21818  
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's more that quality and condition are subjective, not a bash at Global. Take "Ron good" and "Jim good" for example. If someone tells you something is "good", meaning "Ron good", but you were expecting "Jim good", then you won't be happy. Now if you look at it then there is no room for error, nothing lost in translation or the camera, etc.

charles
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Take the trip, there's always another truck. Some of the best money I've spent on cars has been pre-purchase inspections on cars I didn't buy. Like Charles, this isn't a bash on Julien, who apparently has many perfectly happy clients, but 35k is 35k, and I want to know what every penny is getting me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If you were spending 3500, I would not bother going over, but for 35K cash I would go over for the weekend to make sure you are happy with it. And make Julien take you out on the town.

Old September 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

If this is based on a 1983 110 is it possible that it is so far from the original vehicle it could fall under the "new vehicle" NHSTA there is a post on the "whats legal" section covering rebuilt vehicles. I
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Honestly, it does sound reasonable... Shawn Palmer and I just looked at a bastardized 110 DC with a carburated RR 3.5 motor, shitty auto trans conversion with no console and lots of cut corners and the guy wanted $45K. That truck was titled as a "2005 Land Rover" - No designation. I was told it was built by Richard Creed? Is that the Big Sky guy?
If I'm not mistaken, Richard Creed is the guy from BC?
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Creed Evans is Big Sky, Richard Creed is in BC. Both have similar reputations.

Old September 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I guess I should have Googled it... I assumed it was Big Sky.

I can tell you that to ton of corners were cut on this truck. I did not understand why someone would put very old RR gear in a supposedly quality build. Why would you put a RR 3.5 with a carburator, when updated Disco gear is so cheap.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled programing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 DC photo.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	21829  

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:59 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I do not know Chris Hinkle but I do know the guys at NTX Rover and I saw that truck when they were working on it. Very impressive truck for sure. The inerds of the truck are very impressive including the 15 inch drop down GPS monitor that was in the works when I saw it. I do agree that the silver truck is cool but I have to defend my friends here in Texas and say that Chris's truck is a true one of a kind first class rig. More to the point i think the Crew cabs are pretty cool.

RickM
Old November 13th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Earp
Wyatt
None

Would anyone here be able to tell me the exact length of the load bed, with the tailgate down? I want to know if my dirtbike could fit in there.

Thanks so much!
Old November 14th, 2015, 02:08 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It's like 3 inches, not much chance a bike is going in there.

Old November 14th, 2015, 05:30 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

In the "for what it's worth" category, there are a lot of companies that offer solutions to extend the bed of short-box pick ups... as your dirt bike is pretty light compared to the listed max. capacities, you may find a clean solution that gives you the length you need and relieves the chains on the tailgate from supporting the weight.

Blue Ox Tailgator | discountrvparts.com

http://www.utvguide.net/images/PDSFa...ateSaver-5.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...521428sq06.jpg

EXTEND-A-TRUCK

Or, there's always these designs:

http://www.rhoppes.com/images/ebay/db13.jpg
Old November 14th, 2015, 08:03 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earp View Post
Would anyone here be able to tell me the exact length of the load bed, with the tailgate down? I want to know if my dirtbike could fit in there. Thanks so much!
Unless it's a mini bike it's not going to fit. Better off with a 2 door 110, or 3 door like an ex-mod.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, conversion