110 Baby Safety - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

110 Baby Safety

Is a 110 safe enough for a car seat/babyseat? Talking a fully stock truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

I run a foward facing car seat in the middle of my second row. The lap belt gets the seat very tight but I run a tether from the back that I have strapped to seat frame on the back of the bench. That car seat is tighter than the one in our expetion and it has the tether hooks already installed. I am very pleased and feel as safe in the 110 as I do in our newer cars. Now for the 4 and 7 year olds I use a booster and let the older just sit in the seat with the shoulder belt.
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Child Safety

In most states the seat must be in the backseat which I think is more than safe enough for an infant seat if it's properly secured.

The problem I've had is with my 6 year old. Colorado requires that he be in a booster seat in the back seat. Problem is that with no headrests, this puts even his head above the top of the seat and that would be bad if I'm struck from behind. Since there are no airbags, I belt him in the front seat with no booster. I think it's the safest place, but I'm breaking the law.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

If you're expecting the safety of a modern car then no... not even a little bit...

On the other hand I strap two car seats into the front row of my d90 and feel no pangs of worry or guilt about their safety.

I believe there are far bigger things to worry about in regards to our children
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

cool thanks
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
In most states the seat must be in the backseat which I think is more than safe enough for an infant seat if it's properly secured.

The problem I've had is with my 6 year old. Colorado requires that he be in a booster seat in the back seat. Problem is that with no headrests, this puts even his head above the top of the seat and that would be bad if I'm struck from behind. Since there are no airbags, I belt him in the front seat with no booster. I think it's the safest place, but I'm breaking the law.
I have booster seats that have a backing to them with a headrest. They are made by Graco, they are needed when the kids are in my F250 crew cab because the back seat is to short to give them head protection. It also helps when they fall asleep so their head does not bob around. I highly recommend them as they are shaped somewhat like a race car seat and they sit nice and snug. I think my wife bought them at Target for like $40. The backs come off if you have a car with high backing so they work both ways.
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil
I run a foward facing car seat in the middle of my second row. The lap belt gets the seat very tight but I run a tether from the back that I have strapped to seat frame on the back of the bench. That car seat is tighter than the one in our expetion and it has the tether hooks already installed. I am very pleased and feel as safe in the 110 as I do in our newer cars. Now for the 4 and 7 year olds I use a booster and let the older just sit in the seat with the shoulder belt.
I do the exact same thing and feel just as safe with my three year old in the 110 as I do with her sittling the middle of the rear seat in our 03 RR.
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:32 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

It depends, you said "110" which is not very specific with regards to what fully-stock actually means. Any 'classic style' Land Rover will if not factory fitted, require a minimal roll-cage to make it at all safe in a roll-over. The NAS-110 obviously has one already fitted. My UK-spec will need one, I'm thinking a B-C hoop internal with dual connecting posts to keep things simple but who knows, it'll be a few months before I get to that point I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I meant a NAS 110.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
No it doesnt have airbags.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

you are saying it is not safe?
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Barry:

I carry a booster seat for my 5 year old and a forward facing middle rear car seat for my 1 year old.
And while there are no air bags, I think that the truck is very safe, especially with the roll bar internal and exo-cage ... and the stoutness of the frame.

Just my thoughts.

Dendy
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh no, its a death trap, flip it to me at a loss!

Old February 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Lack of airbags increase the safety of child seats, not lower it.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Lack of airbags increase the safety of child seats, not lower it.
Exactly, which is why its mandatory to put them in the back seat, and why 2-seater cars have switches to turn off the passenger airbag.

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Just remember the days when we were kids laying in the back window of our parent's sedans.

And, airbags kill as many people as they save...

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Very true. On long trips. we would be sleeping on a mattress in the back of the station wagon. no seat belts, nothing. Your child securely strapped in a car seat with a 5 point harness sitting directly underneath a roll bar that is further surrounded by a roll cage should be pretty darn safe.
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Im willing to bet a NAS 110 is one of the safest places for your child to ride.
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Very true. On long trips. we would be sleeping on a mattress in the back of the station wagon. no seat belts, nothing. Your child securely strapped in a car seat with a 5 point harness sitting directly underneath a roll bar that is further surrounded by a roll cage should be pretty darn safe.
Not to mention that a white 110 driving down the road will probably get more attention than an ambulance with full lights and sirens. You shouldn't worry about others not seeing and noticing you even if they are on the cell phone.
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:06 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover

I actually asked two Co state troopers about kids in the front seat and while not advisable in a car without airbags it isallowed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags