110 axle removal question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:32 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

110 axle removal question

I am getting ready to swap out my front axle on my ROW 110. I will be replacing it with one from a 96 D1. The question I have is how long does it take to pull the axle from the truck? The suspension is all new so the nuts and bolts on that part are new and I am replacing all the other bolts so I can just cut them off. I'm guessing around 3 or 4 hours if all goes well. Am I in the ball park?

thanks, Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I am getting ready to swap out my front axle on my ROW 110. I will be replacing it with one from a 96 D1. The question I have is how long does it take to pull the axle from the truck? The suspension is all new so the nuts and bolts on that part are new and I am replacing all the other bolts so I can just cut them off. I'm guessing around 3 or 4 hours if all goes well. Am I in the ball park?

thanks, Jason

Swapping the whole housing?? Shouldnt take more than an hour to get the old one off and an hour to get the new one on if you know what you're doing
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

We swapped a front axle in the shop and it took us a little over 3 hours. If your doing it in your driveway, easily a 5 hour job...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:00 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Are you installing new radius arms? Your old ones should be the narrow style and I would think your disco is the wide version.
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I am doing all the bushings, adjustable Panhard rod and over sized steering linkage(front and rear rods) while I have it apart. Thanks for the heads up about the radius arms, I would have totally missed that. I am swapping the entire front assembly, I am getting it from the british wreckers in Sacramento. Will the radius arms from the donor truck work or am I better off getting new ones?
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:21 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The ones from the donor should be fine
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Trey C
Trey Crowther
1983 V8 110 County

Registry
Dad puts the axle on a movers dolly and just rolls it into place.
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Not horrible job. 4 hours is a good guess if you are mechanically inclined.
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Just remember to put the beer in the fridge before you start.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 12th, 2012, 11:28 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Always have cold beer! 4 hours is about what I was thinking. I just want to make sure I have all the tools and parts I need. So far I need a tie rod end tool, possibly thread adapters for the brake lines, the newer radius arms with frame connection nuts, spud wrench and pry bar, a couple of jacks, a grinder with cutoff wheels and the regular pile off tools that seems to be growing every minute. Thanks to all that chimed in, the radius arms and brake lines would have screwed me up.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
If you have the narrow radius arms fitted currently, the holes in the frame will be too small to fit the new style bushings in the frame. I did an axle swap on my 83 rrc and just used a diamond burr bit on a die grinder to make the hole bigger. It's only slightly bigger, but rubber does not compress so you can't fit the bushings and radius arm in the frame without modification.

Also, you don't need any special tool to separate the tie rod from the knuckle. Just hit the side of the knuckle where the tie rod goes in and it should break loose after a couple of hits.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey C View Post
Dad puts the axle on a movers dolly and just rolls it into place.
-with the radius arms already installed. Two floor jacks is the key to making the job easy.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I have been doing a little more research on this topic so here is another question. Should I keep the Defender calipers or go with the newer Disco calipers? The main reason I was going to do this was for better brakes and newer swivels but it sounds like I could just bolt the swivels with the brakes on to my old axle housing. Am I totally wasting tome here? My front diffs are fine, it's the swivels that are suspect.
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:14 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I believe your cv joints on the defender are better quality than the disco ones.. I think the defender ones are supposed to be the 23 spline versions and bill at GBR says they are far superior to later disco ones...swapping the complete front diff will get you the later style 24 spline diff and axles which are supposed to be better,,, talk to bill at GBRhe does a 24 spline front diff to 23 spline cv joint heavy duty axle.. I have some coming as I am swapping front diffs to a Kaiser locker (24 spline) and want to keep the better front cv joints..also the disco front hubs will have the abs sensors in them and I think there is a difference in size of ABS vs non abs axle cv's...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, axle