Defender Source Forum banner

110 200tdi fuel line obsolescence

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rdavisinva 
#1 ·
Need to replace the tank to lift pump fuel line on my 1988 110 with a 200tdi engine and just learned that ESR246 is now obsolete just like the NTC7979 it replaced. No alternative seems to exist. No one I've asked seems to have any old stock either. :facepalm:
Has anyone dealt with this or do I have the honours of being the first one?

So far, if I can't find an alternative, the plan is to get a diesel fuel hose and reuse the old fittings, but I hope someone can recommend a better solution.

BTW, can anyone confirm Defender 200tdi lift pump specs, specifically, operating inlet pressure? I saw somewhere that it's around 11psi which seems low?

#4 ·
The stock line is 3/8" nylon tubing. Cheap and easy to find. I like to use air brake tubing. It is nylon with polyester reinforcement. Better kink resistance, UV stable and the nylon is chemically stable to all fuels.

#5 · (Edited)
Alex:
I think you are reading too much into your "must replace with original factory line" scenario.

If it were me, I would be celebrating that the shitty plastic fuel line is NLS.
That gives you the opportunity to install a buna or a viton line if your fuel is vegetable based.

So the optimal fuel routing is tank -> sedimenter -> 12V fuel pump -> engine lift pump -> Fuel Fuel Pump -> IP -> return line joins with the spill over line -> tank.
In this way the fuel system is reliable and self bleeding with fuel line that is much more reliable than the cheap plastic OEM stuff.
If you want reliability, this is the way to go.

Best of luck!

#9 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your help and great suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.