110 200 tdi cruising speed - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Thanks mate, I'll think about it. I might go with the R380 road. What's the main differences between Lt77 & R380 ? I know the reverse gear isn't at the same location but apart from that? Would I be able to maintain the gearbox mount? is there a big load of customising to get the R380 in place?
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The short bellhousing version goes straight in.

Note, though, that there are two choices of gearing in the short bellhousing versions. One, just like your current one and one like the 300TDI. The ones with your current gearing are only available in "J" suffix, which is weaker than the later "L" suffix.

Most R380s are long shaft, which will require relocation of the engine, and you need a diesel, Defender version to get it to work.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:26 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Drool

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_119.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2010, 09:50 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Well, today, the Gods wanted me to do something about that T-case. I didn't listen to them messages. After loading the Rover with me tools I got on the road for my journey of work. Took a left turn at the exit of my alley then, after a mile or so a loud knock been eared. After swearing and beat the sh&%* of my back door to get my old mattress out, I crawled under the truck to find out what just happened.. I thought I would find a splatter of tranny blood or a pool of smelly EP90... But nothing apparent. So I drove back to my house in second gear low. While doing the mile back I could feel something wasn't alight and I parked the Rover and drove the Mazda to my job. Tomorrow I'll take the t-case out and put my 1.2 in place for the time I figure out what the hell happened. Them t-case seem simple as there's not much stuff in it but, I guess I'll have to take it in pieces to find the guilty bits! Or I could be mistaking and it could be an half shaft. It never happened to me to break a half shaft on a permanent 4 wheel drive Rover. I had that experience with my series III and there's no doubt when this thing happens. You loose propulsion. Is it the same thing with the defender? I mean I can park the Rover on it's parking break and it won't move of an inch.. So i think it my be the transfer-case.. Any ideas ? Might have nothing to do with it.. But.... A couple of days before what happened, I got stuck at a friend alley and I had to use the low range to get out of my tricky situation. I had drifted out of the alley and found myself stuck in snow facing downward. I tried to rock the Rover a bit and bam! the transfer-case move (might have been the first signal from the Gods) in neutral. So I put it back in low range difflock. Same thing happened (persuasive them Gods!). And a third time! By then the Rover was freed from the snow and off I go. I had to use the low range with difflock before and it worked just fine. The lever are set properly and It's fully moving from low to high and difflock to ''unlock''. I'd like to have your thoughts on the subject.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:08 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Indeed, transmission oil cooler
Strong, different ratios available

I run a 1.211 transfer box in my 110, mostly OK but you have to stick it in 4th and floor it for some inclines but 60+ mph is doable in 4th if you need to, and I usually get over 30 imperial miles to an imperial gallon (they're bigger than US gallons) so on the whole I'm going to stick with the 1.211 ex disco TD5 auto transfer box. It was all that was available in Southern Spain on the way back from Morocco
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you need diff lock to move, then something is broken in one of the axles. It is pretty rare to kill a transfer case.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I think the issue was that the transfer box was jumping out of gear. Does the 110 need to be in diff-lock to move on the flat or will it move OK with the transfer box diff unlocked. unless the rear half shafts are broken the handbrake will still work fine. If the truck won't move unless the diff is locked it would point to one of the front half shafts or CV joints being grenaded.

------ Follow up post added February 14th, 2010 09:19 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you need diff lock to move, then something is broken in one of the axles. It is pretty rare to kill a transfer case.
I've sadly killed two but one was rebuildable, the other spat some teeth out and I've yet to investigate the contents of that one. Lots of sparkley oil came out when drained though
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
So far the difflock didn't need to be engage. I stripped down the front axle and both half shaft are al right. I'm taking the front diff out today. There's a huge amount of play between the pinion and the crown wheel. I had the front diff checked in a diffshop a couple of week before and they tighten that to remove the play. I can now rotate it +/- 1/2 a turn..... I might have found the problem. I will put back the 1.2 transfer case anyway. I need to do a 2500km trip for a contract. Last time I did that it cost me 15litres per 100km with the 1.6 . Before that I did the same run with the 1.2 and it returned 8litres per 100km..... By the way, if anyone of you lads have gaiters on their swivel ball, think about removing them if they're old. Mine were keeping shit in it instead. Water and sand mostly. But I tell you, a good quantity! I will now need to remove completely the swivel balls to clean and maybe renew the seals as they were sanded....
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Have you drained the diff oil? what came out with the oil.
Sounds as though you might be a few teeth short of a full set on the crown wheel.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Not yet, I first need to take the front propshaft out and checked. Might be an universal joint. But I doubt it.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Well, I found out the problem. There's a missing tooth on the sidegear of the front differential. Since the front axle is stripped I'll be renewing about everything. Still have a problem tough, just can find another gear... Anyone can help me out with that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, tdi