109 vs 110 Body - Difference? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
88,109 sw and early 110 sw all use the same roof sides. Only the 90 sw's were different.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2009, 04:56 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

For future reference, 109s never had lights in the back on top and bottom like that. They were stacked one on top of the other on the top. You have what looks to be a relatively early 110 body and everything else for that matter.
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Jonathan,

If all these curiosity items are related to you ordering the cage, when I was looking for mine, I was told by 2 different companies, that the cage would be same except for the windshield frame and height of roof , and judging from the pics of yours, wether it is a 109, 110 or buggy whipped, your windscreen is fro m a 110, hence place the freaking order for a 110 *LOL*
Goose, according to P&P the frame mounts for the cage are different.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110

Best of luck to you keeping that high lift from snagging on a limb and doing panel damage- off road.
Wait.. never mind
thanks Doug for the feedback. I have put Hi-Lifts mounted in that position on trucks before. It's clear of the side. I don't think I'll snag it on anything in the mall parking lot.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
For future reference, 109s never had lights in the back on top and bottom like that.
according to my LR SIII parts catalogue they did. Though I've never seen one, I don't have much experience with late SIII's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
They will be different. 109 frames are completely different. You have a 110 rear crossmember and you have coils so its pretty unlikely you have a 109 frame. Like I said the 109 chassis rails will extend straight forward from the rear xmember and the 110 stuff is more like the 90 with a dip down between the xmember and the rear axle.

Quote:
thanks Doug for the feedback. I have put Hi-Lifts mounted in that position on trucks before. It's clear of the side. I don't think I'll snag it on anything in the mall parking lot.
I'm not sure but I think he was referring to the top of the jack that appears to protrude above the top of the roof rack.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
according to my LR SIII parts catalogue they did. Though I've never seen one, I don't have much experience with late SIII's.
Tom B. has a 1983 88" and it has the normal series lights so I am not sure when those spread out lights could have come in. Although, I did notice it had pop rivets, not round head rivets.
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure but I think he was referring to the top of the jack that appears to protrude above the top of the roof rack.
Yes- nice rack by the way. Same one Gustavo now has, a Rover part from the Accesories catalog.

You should be safe @ the mall but be carefull of the pipe on chains @ the entrance to the parking garage- that high lift will snag and it won't be pretty.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yes- nice rack by the way. Same one Gustavo now has, a Rover part from the Accesories catalog.

You should be safe @ the mall but be carefull of the pipe on chains @ the entrance to the parking garage- that high lift will snag and it won't be pretty.
It doesn't protrude above the rack - your perspective is off. It's very close - like less than an inch, but that's because the top clamp is attached higher than the jack length - I still need lower it a bit. Gimme a break, I have two Hi-Risk jacks and the tall one was not in use when I had to slap it on. Jeez.

I'll actually end up selling that rack.

Semper Fi!
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
It doesn't protrude above the rack - your perspective is off. It's very close - like less than an inch, but that's because the top clamp is attached higher than the jack length - I still need lower it a bit. Gimme a break, I have two Hi-Risk jacks and the tall one was not in use when I had to slap it on. Jeez.

LOL- sorry man you make it too easy. BTW the rack sells for 600 sterling. Lr Series still carries them. Thats the predecessor to the G4 rack.
High Risk is right that Jessie Ware story is enough to make me leave mine @ home most trips.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
LOL- sorry man you make it too easy. BTW the rack sells for 600 sterling. Lr Series still carries them. Thats the predecessor to the G4 rack.
High Risk is right that Jessie Ware story is enough to make me leave mine @ home most trips.
I've smashed my hand and had a 53 Willys Wagon body fall over and almost squish me, but that's because I being stupid with it. But for winching, lifting, clamping, and straightening bent stuff, there's no better tool.

Semper Fi!
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
What's the Jesse Ware story? I don't think I've heard it, but I'm a big fan of schadenfreude...

Old December 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
What's the Jesse Ware story? I don't think I've heard it, but I'm a big fan of schadenfreude...
I think he's referring to John Cranfield getting his eye socket bashed in by one @ an event in Maine, I believe whilst raising or lowering Jesse's 110. Just one moment of inattention with the handle in the down position...then something slipped and the handle came up quick. John had to get medevac'd out and now has a glass eye for his troubles.

Quote:
Oh yeah...Rack licked...
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I think he's referring to John Cranfield getting his eye socket bashed in by one @ an event in Maine, I believe whilst raising or lowering Jesse's 110. Just one moment of inattention with the handle in the down position...then something slipped and the handle came up quick. John had to get medevac'd out and now has a glass eye for his troubles.

Oh yeah...Rack licked...
Yikes, that sucks. Yeah, when lowering the jack, the handle is under tension and will fly up if you don't pay attention.

You want my rack?

Semper Fi!
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:

You want my rack?
yes. if it was any colder my tongue would be stuck to it.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
yes. if it was any colder my tongue would be stuck to it.
K, you have dibs if/when I do sell. It depends on if I buy/build an external cage. If that's the case, I'll build a new basket.

Semper Fi!
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Halloween Extreme about 7 or 8 years ago. I was there (with Dom in his not so extreme disco I) and saw it happen. John was jacking on the front bumper of the white rhino (JW's 110) and I am not sure exactly what happened, but the handle was not locked up and the handle hit John in the head. John was convulsing after being hit in the head with the handle. Very scary. Dom had it on video which, of course, we never watched as it was too traumatic. Have not used a hi-lift since then. I finally dug the one I had in new york out of the garage and am considering trying it again, but I have not.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
should really start a new thread on this but basically you want to make sure your hand is on that handle at all times while the vehicle is being raised or lowered. When the jack is at rest and there is a load on it the handle MUST be in the UP position.

I think John said the pins were not functioning correctly. FWIW I have a hi-lift that I bought in 1995 at CT farm and family in Watertown NY on the way back from buying my first 88. It has sat on the back of one truck or another for the last 14 years in all manner of weather and has been used in anger in mud and sand (never had to use it in snow). It is rusty and the climbing rack is bent. I thought better of continuing to use it, so I bought a new JackAll @ Canadian Tire. The new one will not lower the car no matter what I do. It will drop to the lower pin and then they just stop working. If you try to tap the stuck pin it just releases the load and the truck drops back to the ground. What's the point of this? Dunno, other than to put in a plug for the hi-lift brand I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Halloween Extreme about 7 or 8 years ago. I was there (with Dom in his not so extreme disco I) and saw it happen. John was jacking on the front bumper of the white rhino (JW's 110) and I am not sure exactly what happened, but the handle was not locked up and the handle hit John in the head. John was convulsing after being hit in the head with the handle. Very scary. Dom had it on video which, of course, we never watched as it was too traumatic. Have not used a hi-lift since then. I finally dug the one I had in new york out of the garage and am considering trying it again, but I have not.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Holy flaming crap. I did not enjoy that story at all, but I agree its probably best to remind people of it from time to time.

Old December 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
should really start a new thread on this but basically you want to make sure your hand is on that handle at all times while the vehicle is being raised or lowered. When the jack is at rest and there is a load on it the handle MUST be in the UP position.

I think John said the pins were not functioning correctly. FWIW I have a hi-lift that I bought in 1995 at CT farm and family in Watertown NY on the way back from buying my first 88. It has sat on the back of one truck or another for the last 14 years in all manner of weather and has been used in anger in mud and sand (never had to use it in snow). It is rusty and the climbing rack is bent. I thought better of continuing to use it, so I bought a new JackAll @ Canadian Tire. The new one will not lower the car no matter what I do. It will drop to the lower pin and then they just stop working. If you try to tap the stuck pin it just releases the load and the truck drops back to the ground. What's the point of this? Dunno, other than to put in a plug for the hi-lift brand I guess.
Aside from the very real safety points being brought up here (having seen it myself, thankfully not as bad as the above story, when my truck nearly drop onto Tommy D (Skydiver) b/c we were 'quickly' changing a tire and the jack slid) I thought it would be worth throwing out that the hi-lift 'X-treme' may not be all that extreme afterall. During the pre-MAR days this summer I used mine, as intended and with an extremely close eye on it, to break the suction of the mud that was preventing my truck from getting out of the obstacle we were in. Tommy and I-he's always around when this stuff happens-had the sand ladders under one tire and were getting them under the other when the jack let go-I thought the pins were bent and just threw the jack down to rebuild later.

When Tony and I went to rebuild it a few weeks ago we discovered that not only were the pins bent but the climbing mechanism itself had broken-specifically the metal that runs down the length had sheared a couple of inches off and thus it wouldn't hold while racheting up.

Clearly proper hi-lift terminology is kicking my ass here-the end result being I now have a hybrid (appropriate for this thread, eh?) hi lift that has an extreme body, and a regular old red climbing mechanism on it-and I only plan on using when I have to, otherwise it stays where it should-racheted down across the back seat floorboard.
r-
Ray
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Jonathan,

Well P&P not only has told me what I typed before, I have sent them a pic of my 110 ( and the ribbed roof ), showing the roof looking like a 109.

At any rate, I will split the bet with DB on the donuts, but make it a dozen Bagels *LOL*
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
hi-lifts are dangerous when not even in used. I don't know how many times I've walked around the back of my truck too closely and narrowly missed taking an eye out!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
109, 110, body