$1000 oil line repair - but that's OK - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Cool $1000 oil line repair - but that's OK

1. I did knowingly procrastinate
2. For my birthday, yesterday, my oil lines blew and yes it was everything everyone says
3. I did knowingly procrastinate and accept my fate as ordained by the LR gods.
4. No one was hurt - D-90 was/is OK (always always carry a fire ext.)
5. Due to this site, I know what to do (almost to many options on replacing the lines)

The question - what is the best way to clean/wipe/remove all the oil sprayed in the engine bay?

The rain cloud:
AND why $1000? Due to the need to get the D90 towed, I missed the lease signing of the a New Beetle convertible I gave my wife for her birthday (was to be a MINI but that is its own thread ) and somehow the lease $$ is a bit higher than I would have liked (still a good lease though just not great). Had I not done #1 above I would have been there to negotiate. So every month for the next 3 yrs, $27 is donated to VW because I had my thumb up my Arse and did not do what I know had to be done! BUT...

The Silver lining:
I got my wife the Beetle because she does deserve it. But the selfish element is that added benefit for me. By having a 3rd car I can spend more time fixing the D90 and not having to worry about finishing on Sunday evening as we need two cars for work. Oh, and the oil lines were my top job!

I know this thread is a repeat specific to the oil lines, and a heavily covered topic but I wanted y'all to read this and really know that the post help / tips etc really do let some of us keep the LRs on the road.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

It could be worse. You might still be paying $27 a month to VW but instead have, too, a pile of melted aluminum, useful only as an object of frustration.

That smoke is quite the shocker, huh? We were riding down the road in town, and something smelled a little off. No sooner could I say what's that smoke, then the truck was completely engulfed in it. Nothing lit, a miracle in itself, but it smoked for a while.
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Congrats, you're bona fide now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM
scout159
mark bohne
1995 D90

For cleaning, I would locate a old rug and put under engine and then buy brake parts cleaner and spray all and start wiping as this will end up a engine detail job----then toss rug and goo in garbage. Next go to reg engine cleaner spray can and do engine bay except engine and pressure wash out----spray so overspray does not end up on engine, from middle out---keep engine dry as possible----and----start with hot engine and let idle----if it dies---the heat may dry it out in awhile and let you restart.
Americans say it's money
Hindus say it does not exist,
You know what I say-
I say time is a crook--
peter lorre 1954
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:01 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

...brake parts cleaner strips paint doesn't it? You should use an environmentally friendly cleaner like one of those citrus-based products - just because it's safe for paint and such. Maybe some Dawn dishwashing liquid. Just soap it on and start the water works.

It will take a while but slow and steady...

Or...take it to a shop that steam cleans.
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

greased lightning youll never use anything else
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
jaguiler
John A
2006 - LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
...brake parts cleaner strips paint doesn't it? You should use an environmentally friendly cleaner like one of those citrus-based products - just because it's safe for paint and such. Maybe some Dawn dishwashing liquid. Just soap it on and start the water works.

It will take a while but slow and steady...

Or...take it to a shop that steam cleans.
I would really stay away from the Dawn - maybe a little WD40 on the tough parts will loosen up the oil - but no dishwashing liquid please...... not unless you like a matt finish on whatever it touches on the outside...
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Agree with Art, high pressure steam cleaning works best, and will get rid of all the crap that was there before the oil explosion, too. You'll spend all day trying to clean it with degreaser and rags. Steam cleaning is what the used car dealers use to make the engines look brand new. Places that do this are a bit hard to find (try calling auto detailing shops) and ask if they have the machine for this.

..or buy one of these. :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions