10 Spline hallf shaft/CV woes.... need some help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Ok. So basically if I swap everything up to what this picture shows I'm Ok right?

I think that should be easy enough and a days work
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - and you won't have to mess with the RHD steering items.

Seems like it should be straight forward and like you said a days work (although with how it's been so far... ). I'll drop those wrenches/hub socket/etc off later today.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,232
Registry
Sure, you could swap EVERYTHING over and end up with a much weaker system. That is always a good idea...
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Jake1996d1's Avatar
Jake1996d1
Status: Offline
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ankeny IA
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Sure, you could swap EVERYTHING over and end up with a much weaker system. That is always a good idea...
You really do think the AEU2522 is the end all be all huh?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Sure, you could swap EVERYTHING over and end up with a much weaker system. That is always a good idea...
Wait I'm confused. I thought you said you use these as tent pegs?
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
don's Avatar
don
Status: Offline
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rumson, NJ
Posts: 4,271
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Sure, you could swap EVERYTHING over and end up with a much weaker system. That is always a good idea...
You said they are stronger than the 24 spline stuff but how much more? Yes, the situation he was in, I am guessing a 24 spline wouldn't have been any better (slight downhill with weight on right hand corner and wheel turned) but damn, the CV he pulled was grenaded!

If the 10 spline was more available, I'd could see your point but moving to 24 spline bossman could have things running in a day max. Randy @ RoverBones is close to RC and is usually at the east coast events. I've been looking for a front axle and there are plenty at the bone yards in NJ so I'm sure he'd be able to get one in short time. Hell, if he had a 24 spline setup, he could have used Dana's axle/CV and wheeled for a little while that day.

Another pro-24-spline setup is that it is easier to get an HD diff and axles. And while you are saying the 10 spline CV's and axles are stronger, I could have sworn I read someplace the 10 spline carrier was weaker? I could be wrong tho.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,232
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
You really do think the AEU2522 is the end all be all huh?
The 32 spline where is enters the later CVs is smaller than the 10 spline at the diff, so ends up as a weaker drivetrain. In addition the hub bearings are closer together, which is never a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Wait I'm confused. I thought you said you use these as tent pegs?
The 10 spline diff is pretty weak, so should be replaced with a 24 spline and aftermarket 24/23 spline shafts installed.

In the end, both the early and late model axles have weaknesses with the stock late model being somewhat weaker than the early stock axles. They both require upgrading and the overall cost is about the same, although you can skip the CV upgrade on the early ones if you are not that hard core. You can't skip the CVs on the late model axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calcs2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	52929  
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,232
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
.... I could have sworn I read someplace the 10 spline carrier was weaker? I could be wrong tho.
Certainly a stock 2 pinion, 10 spline diff is weaker than a 24 spline one but they both fail regularly. The weakest point on the stock early axles should be the diff center and normally is. The weakest point in the stock later ones is where the inner shaft goes into the CV joint.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,232
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Hell, if he had a 24 spline setup, he could have used Dana's axle/CV and wheeled for a little while that day.
Moral of the story. If you have stock Rover axles...carry spare halfshafts and a CV joint. They are cheap out of the UK or used from someone that has upgraded.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Ok - so basically the CV joints my truck has/had are stronger than the CV joints on a 24 spline (disco) assembly. However the disco differential is stronger.

am I correct?

I think it comes down to availability of parts mostly. I can get disco axles and CV joints anywhere. I'd rather have a slightly weaker CV joint but the ability to find 3 spares easily then a 10/23 axle shaft/CV joint, which is rarer than dragon shit apparently (down here) and still just marginally better than the 24 spline disco axle/cv assemblies.

I think it makes most sense to swap over the disco stuff in this case....no?
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Jake1996d1's Avatar
Jake1996d1
Status: Offline
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ankeny IA
Posts: 451
Yea or just swap to HD 24 spline axles, cvs, lockers and gears and call it a day

Obviously I didnt have to change anything to drop it all in my disco but if I had a defender thats what I would do if not the Toy swap like what Don has. The only downside is the hub bearing spacing but does it really matter that much on a D90!? Hell I am sure my disco is MUCH heavier than Adrians d90 and I am running 35's.. No problems as of yet

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2012 11:16 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Ok - so basically the CV joints my truck has/had are stronger than the CV joints on a 24 spline (disco) assembly. However the disco differential is stronger.

am I correct?

I think it comes down to availability of parts mostly. I can get disco axles and CV joints anywhere. I'd rather have a slightly weaker CV joint but the ability to find 3 spares easily then a 10/23 axle shaft/CV joint, which is rarer than dragon shit apparently (down here) and still just marginally better than the 24 spline disco axle/cv assemblies.

I think it makes most sense to swap over the disco stuff in this case....no?
Yes all of the Disco stuff is stronger than the stock 10 spline stuff. Only the AEU2522 is stronger than the disco CV joint but good luck finding replacements for those CV's.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:17 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Yea i've realized that.

Ok - looks like another fun filled day of gear oil stank is in my future.
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Offline
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,232
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
Only the AEU2522 is stronger than the disco CV joint but good luck finding replacements for those CV's.
You guys need to learn to buy stuff out of the UK. The AEU2522 aftermarket joints are $30 new.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Jake1996d1's Avatar
Jake1996d1
Status: Offline
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ankeny IA
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You guys need to learn to buy stuff out of the UK. The AEU2522 aftermarket joints are $30 new.
Yea but they are still going to break on the trail. They are not that much stronger than stock d90 or disco CV's. Guys used to use this upgrade before they made HD axles and CV's now that they make good stuff I'd rather buy that than lose a day of off roading just to replace a broken CV with another one that is going to break...

Not to mention you better be carrying spares at all times because you better believe in the US nobody else is going to be carrying one. As he already found out
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:12 PM
bossman429's Avatar
bossman429
Status: Offline
Adrian
1988 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Red Bank, NJ, USA
Posts: 1,416
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
Yea but they are still going to break on the trail. They are not that much stronger than stock d90 or disco CV's. Guys used to use this upgrade before they made HD axles and CV's now that they make good stuff I'd rather buy that than lose a day of off roading just to replace a broken CV with another one that is going to break...

Not to mention you better be carrying spares at all times because you better believe in the US nobody else is going to be carrying one. As he already found out

Another question - how many of those $30 parts are knock offs? I'm sure the metal isnt up to the same standard as LR original.

I just dont feel comfortable buying stuff from the UK, if it can at all be avoided
__________________
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Another question - how many of those $30 parts are knock offs? I'm sure the metal isnt up to the same standard as LR original.

I just dont feel comfortable buying stuff from the UK, if it can at all be avoided
Keith Kreutzer has been helping me work through my parts listing for my 10 to 24 spline conversion, and he said that when I get my CV, get the AEU2522. He also said that the aftermarket (which happens to be much cheaper than LR) is going to be preferred because it will be a softer metal (which I take means less brittle).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RR 10 spline diffs. front and rear broadstone For Sale - Parts 2 July 2nd, 2012 09:15 AM
Will Calipers and rotors from a 10 spline D90 work on a Disco Axle tomaco1 Defender Technical Discussions 13 December 14th, 2010 11:16 PM
10 Spline Axle Parts Series / 90 / 110 Wolf Fabrication For Sale - Parts 0 April 6th, 2010 06:25 AM
TOO MUCH STUFF, Disco/RRC/Series/Defender/P38 GARAGE SALE RedRhinoProducts For Sale - Parts 5 May 20th, 2006 09:19 PM
10 spline Series 2/2a/3 axles (3 sets) Seriesman For Sale - Parts 0 October 25th, 2004 12:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Copyright