1.2 vs 1.4 in a 110 Double cab - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You sure you are in the right location? It should be engraved into the metal and only removable by grinder.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2015, 08:25 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Yeah, we're gonna fix that when the trannys out.
Old October 20th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Oh, did not notice the first part that you were buying a rebuilt tranny, so probably it does not matter too much what you have.

My suggestion, get either an LT77S (56H) that came with a stock 200TDI or a short bellhousing R380 (44L) and a 1.4 t. case. That will give the best overall gearing for the 110.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2015, 08:11 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Ok still kicking this around.

Can't get the serial number off the tranny, so I'm kid of taking a flyer.

I'm really interested in getting more on road drivability, so my question is, if I get the newer lt77 gearing and a 1.2 what am I going to lose?

Second part of ? Is
Rebuilt by someone here, or just go to Ashcroft?

Ashcroft also seems to have some options I'm not sure about
Sleeved casing (extra 75 pounds)
ATB center diff (extra 300 pounds)
Heavy duty cross in (extra 45 pounds)
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:30 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Clearly the switch to a 1.2 is angsting you and it's not really clear to me why. What is your major concern?
Old October 27th, 2015, 08:55 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Clearly the switch to a 1.2 is angsting you and it's not really clear to me why. What is your major concern?
Im sure his concern is how much "umph" he'll have left if he switches. Jonesy made the switch, and while I think he was/is happy....I was still smoking him with my 1.4 in a similar setup. It's definitely a performance difference with the 1.4 vs 1.2, I don't think that can be contested....it's simply a matter of whether one can live with or prefers the change.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 27th, 2015, 09:35 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I want the upper end, but like Jason, I'm concerned what I'd lose at the lower end

Part of me wants to get something different, a bit of an upgrade, if I do change to a rebuilt setup
Old October 27th, 2015, 09:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks Lav, that makes sense.

My experiences:

Tom, I guess all I can really add is that on my lifted 200tdi 90, with the earliest of LT77s and 1.2 tcase, I have never considered my acceleration under 45mph to be "slow" (although compared to say, a Toyota Prius, it's slow.)

Two places where it really matters:

1. Getting started from a stop. It's weak in 1st gear until you get rolling - after you get rolling, it's quick.
2. Choosing the right gear between 45mph and 70mph (if you can even hit 70mph.) The biggest issue is that 4th gear has all the acceleration between 45mph to about 55mph. 5th gear is basically a cruising overdrive at US highway speeds, and doesn't really start accelerating the truck until about 55mph - at which point it rapidly runs out as you hit the aerodynamically limited top speed.

On any uphill grade, forget 5th gear under 45mph.

Basically, it's livable, probably better than a 1.4 if you drive most of your miles on the highway.
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:01 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Lav, that makes sense.

My experiences:

Tom, I guess all I can really add is that on my lifted 200tdi 90, with the earliest of LT77s and 1.2 tcase, I have never considered my acceleration under 45mph to be "slow" (although compared to say, a Toyota Prius, it's slow.)

Two places where it really matters:

1. Getting started from a stop. It's weak in 1st gear until you get rolling - after you get rolling, it's quick.
2. Choosing the right gear between 45mph and 70mph (if you can even hit 70mph.) The biggest issue is that 4th gear has all the acceleration between 45mph to about 55mph. 5th gear is basically a cruising overdrive at US highway speeds, and doesn't really start accelerating the truck until about 55mph - at which point it rapidly runs out as you hit the aerodynamically limited top speed.

On any uphill grade, forget 5th gear under 45mph.

Basically, it's livable, probably better than a 1.4 if you drive most of your miles on the highway.
I can/will do 80+ with no problems on the highway, and on a pretty decent hill/incline can hold 70-75mph with no issues as well. Did so all the way to URE & back...but I did see that Jonesy had a bit more of an issue on the inclines where it would slow his top speed down. That said, I'm thinking his highway rpm's may have also been lower than mine (obviously) so may have been a touch "quieter" for his ride.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 27th, 2015, 10:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I still don't understand how anyone with a 200tdi goes 70mph uphill. I think I just need your help tuning my truck!
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I still don't understand how anyone with a 200tdi goes 70mph uphill. I think I just need your help tuning my truck!
Jonesy was kicking ass too! And this was in a 110 fully loaded with gear (and me in the 130). When I say it would "slow him down", I mean to like 72-75 .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 27th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Im sure his concern is how much "umph" he'll have left if he switches. Jonesy made the switch, and while I think he was/is happy....I was still smoking him with my 1.4 in a similar setup. It's definitely a performance difference with the 1.4 vs 1.2, I don't think that can be contested....it's simply a matter of whether one can live with or prefers the change.
SMOKING! I call absolute BS to that....the only time you were ahead of me was before you took the wrong turn in front of the flat bed that was taking my truck to UD's :tou nge

Wanker....

DOnt worry mate...you will love the 1.2 - get one out of a DIsco II - I am actually very impressed by the driveability...Lav is kinda sorta right....you need to downshift on hills.

But hey - I was cruising along at 60MPH in 4th gear and didnt even know it...I never downshifted on hills...should have but didnt. Takes some getting used to. But believe me if you are looking for on hwy driveability (sounds like it) GO FOR IT

------ Follow up post added October 27th, 2015 10:12 PM ------

Quote:
Like the girls say mate - SIZE matters...we are not talking COlorado I70 hills here. WIth a good enough head start Lav and I were drag racing each other up the hills...I was giggling too much to pay attention and should have chosen 4th to keep the RPMs up.
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:13 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
SMOKING! I call absolute BS to that....the only time you were ahead of me was before you took the wrong turn in front of the flat bed that was taking my truck to UD's :tou nge

Wanker....

DOnt worry mate...you will love the 1.2 - get one out of a DIsco II - I am actually very impressed by the driveability...Lav is kinda sorta right....you need to downshift on hills.

But hey - I was cruising along at 60MPH in 4th gear and didnt even know it...I never downshifted on hills...should have but didnt. Takes some getting used to. But believe me if you are looking for on hwy driveability (sounds like it) GO FOR IT
I was half throttle trying to keep you in the rearview! But after seeing your rig, I agree I think you could have dropped down to 4th on some of the hills and would have dropped some of the black smoke...and still would have been keeping speed.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 28th, 2015, 12:26 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Are these speeds we're bragging about speedo adjusted for the 33" tires you guys are running?

Old October 28th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm not sure I understand the hill concern. You can always shift down. IMO, there are two things to consider in ratio choice.

1) Is first low enough to get going on a normal hill you will encountered?

2) Is fifth low enough to be used on the flat?

Old October 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Are these speeds we're bragging about speedo adjusted for the 33" tires you guys are running?
My speeds match the GPS spot-on .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 28th, 2015, 07:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
We just need test drives next time

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, double cab