03 Range Rover HSE Question, Sorry - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2014, 03:27 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

03 Range Rover HSE Question, Sorry

Does anyone know anything about a fix for an over-active motion sensor on the Range Rover's alarm system? I remember something about someone making a fix kit on the P38's but I sold mine before it was an issue.

On this one, if you lock the doors sometimes it makes what I can only assume is a quiet warning beep and other times its a full blown alarm. Nothing has touched the vehicle to cause it to sound the alarm.

Any thoughts? Is there a way to turn off the alarm system or disconnect its ecu without causing other issues or warning lights etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2014, 03:45 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
My P38 will do that if I try to lock and arm it when the sunroof is open. You might have a sensor in need of alignment. Other than that to offer, I'm afraid I would not be of help. I hate electronics and wires.
Old December 8th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
You definitely need this:
http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.ph...=415&Itemid=81

It's cheap, it works and you will need it for a host of other codes and issues, so get this first.

After you have Allcom, you can turn off and manipulate certain control groups in the Mk3, alarm functions among them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Does the '03 have the same interior acoustical alarm system as the P38? If so, I have had mine disconnected for weeks due to headliner work and haven't had any issues. No codes or dash indicators. Alarm arms and locks work normally as if it were connected. Haven't tried to set it off yet. My .02!
Old December 9th, 2014, 07:55 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

It's my uncle's car for the moment but he will be tired of it in a few months when one the msgs pops up warning of catastrophic failure and I am going to buy it.

He is going to replace the battery today and see if that helps for now. If that doesn't help I am going to drive up there and wire the bonnet switch to always read closed. Another site listed that as a common cause. If it gets that far he will definitely decide that it has too go. When I buy I will pick up one of those new code readers and see if I can't disable a few of the more troublesome systems; alarm, ride height, speed, abs etc

Thanks for all the help!
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:21 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

We had something like this on the LR3. I shorted the bonnet sensor with aluminum foil for a quick fix and then shoved some wire and taped it off for a permanent solution. Has worked fine since.
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:12 PM
cheers
norman geary
none

Just unplug the bonnet switch 99% this will cure the problem
Old December 9th, 2014, 12:52 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

It's going to take a month to receive a catastrophic failure on a LR? That's news! ;-)
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:43 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
It's going to take a month to receive a catastrophic failure on a LR? That's news! ;-)
It only gets driven once a week so I was giving it the benefit of the doubt and saying it could make it atleast two outings without a death warning. But I am a rover's half full type of guy...

It's an 03 and the previous owner and my uncle both never drove it so it only has 30k miles on it. Seems like the perfect candidate for a solid axel swap and the only new body style range I know about running 285/75s with 3" of lift and a full long travel suspension.

I want a do over on my old p38 project. I am a lot handier and have a lot more tools than I did 10 years ago when I set out to make the first lifted "new rover" (97 p38) in the east. The drug dealers in Richmond had to second guess their choice in rims when I pulled up to their blacked out hood rover!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hse, range rover