03 d2--dead - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

03 d2--dead

My next door neighbor's neice is visiting them from out of state with her newly acquired 03 D2 with 175K miles on it. It "used up" all of it's coolant between southern PA and DC. Apparently this is a common occurance for her. They took it to the local rover shop (overland 4x4) who gave her an estimate of $7000 for a complete reseal of the engine, new heads, various hoses, all of the TREs (which are apparently shot), leaking tcase, etc. Shop says the steering linkage is bad enough that it shouldn't be driven. The owner is threatening to try and drive it back to PA without any repairs. My reccomendation is to nurse it to carmax and walk away from it -- any other suggestions for what to do? Body is ok, interior looks like it has 175K on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Carmax...but they are getting smarter there!!!
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:19 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

A used engine from Will tillery... A case of beer and 6 pizzas. Invite the HH crew over for a swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
My next door neighbor's neice is visiting them from out of state with her newly acquired 03 D2 with 175K miles on it. It "used up" all of it's coolant between southern PA and DC. Apparently this is a common occurance for her. They took it to the local rover shop (overland 4x4) who gave her an estimate of $7000 for a complete reseal of the engine, new heads, various hoses, all of the TREs (which are apparently shot), leaking tcase, etc. Shop says the steering linkage is bad enough that it shouldn't be driven. The owner is threatening to try and drive it back to PA without any repairs. My reccomendation is to nurse it to carmax and walk away from it -- any other suggestions for what to do? Body is ok, interior looks like it has 175K on it.

Motor reseal should cost about $800 in parts including machining the heads, and can easily be done in two days. Tie rods are expensive, but take about 10 minutes to install. I'd buy the complete assembly with both ends. All Lt-230's leak, so I'd just top it up. If you want to slow the leak significantly you can replace just the input shaft (without pulling the t-case).

Unless they are really attached to the Disco, its probably not worth fixing. I would only recommend spending that much on a really clean truck, regardless of miles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions