Memphis In May BBQ Contest - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 20th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300
Memphis In May BBQ Contest

So all of my college buddies and I have decided to enter the Memphis in May BBQ Festival competition. We inherited a tent from a group of guys who decided to retire. The problem is that, we are only weekend grillers. We don't have any killer recipes. Hell, we'd probably get drunk and screw up a recipe anyway.

We are now in the experimental phase before the competition in May. There is a category for almost every type of BBQ.

I would appreciate any recipes if anyone is willing to part with them. I can't use any of mine because they are all spices and recipes from previous competition winners. You will be given full credit for your recipe.

The best part, anyone that wants to come down for the competition is welcome to party with us. Having a tent at this festival is a big deal, especially because beer is expensive from the vendors but tents can byob (provided by us). Free food and beer is a win in my category.

Old February 20th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135
What are you cooking in comp? If Brisket, I have two words for you...Wagyu Beef. If you haven't smoked it, it smokes much faster than the traditional packer brisket. I've tried tons of different recipes. I use peach wood. Also smoke at 245 with a guru attached to my Stumps smoker. I don't get crazy on the rub. I do like to inject (use a beef broth marinade) and then use a off the shelf rub (called "Special Shit", no lie). I don't cook using timing, I simply will use internal temp to measure doneness. I've tried covering with a liquid pan vs. not. Both are good. In my opinion for what it's worth, a good cut of meat may be the most important piece to start with. I was always told a "good" brisket could be folded in half and you can poke your finger through once it's done. Also, on brisket you'll probably want to show slices and burnt-ends in your turn-in box. So make sure you have a burnt end recipe you like.

Current Stable:
2016 BMW M3 (Mineral Grey)
2013 Ford Raptor (Tuxedo Black)

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:20 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Is it pig only? If cow, and you're allowed to be "adventurous" with your cuts, maybe go for a different cut like the "rib cap" or ribeye cap - it's pretty delicious.
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Out of curiosity I went to the website. They have categories for everything. If it were me, I would try to do something out of the ordinary like goat, ostrich, bison, moose or reindeer.
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM
I have been cooking at MIM for a long time...In order to help I need to know a few things.
#1 what did you enter, patio, ribs, shoulder, or whole hog?
If you entered patio, you might not get in with a new team. Hundreds apply only 40 are chosen.
#2 what ancillary categories did you enter
#3 do you know all the costs that go into this contest? ie electricity rental, floor rental, permits, food costs, wristbands for team members...etc
#4 do you know that this is an onsite presentation and blind judging contest. Meaning judges come to your booth AND you have to turn in at least 6 samples into a central judging tent.

Our team has helped many first time teams...if y'all need anything, give me a shout.

Too Sauced To Pork Championship BBQ Team

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner