Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner

Old November 30th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Coffee grinder

A few months ago I got an Estro Vapore (about a $250 machine) for $27 at an estate sale. It works great, I use it a few times a day. My problem is that I don't have a grinder. I find it difficult to get the right grind from most of the local coffee shops (too fine or too coarse). I'm thinking I'd like to get myself a nice burr grinder.

I figure a good quality burr grinder should last a long time, and I will likely upgrade my espresso machine at some point in the future, so I want to get a good one to start with. I am planning on spending between $200 and $350. I've read this but I'm curious what you guys are using. Also, that was last updated in 2009, so some of the links are dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

This is how I grind my coffee:

http://www.amazon.com/Zassenhaus-156.../dp/B004RXSD9Q

Load the hopper and it will grind the perfect amount for my 17oz Frieling french press. It does a nicer job than any consumer-grade motorized grinder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Ive got a Gorenje grinder that Ive had had about 15+yrs. No where near your price range, but it continues to serve me well.

-Jeff
Yeah but you only brew coffee on Friday nights when you watch reruns of Law & Order and drink coffee and Baileys Irish Cream!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
edh
Ed
Ex mod 90

I have had a Baratza Virtuouso for about 4 years or so. It does a great job on everything w/ the exception of really dark roasted beans. The oilier beans muck it up. Not sure if their other/newer models resolve this problem.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:24 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have had an Isomac espresso machine and grinder for 13 years of daily use. Its amazing how much milage you can get out of a semi automatic machine. I always recommend a Rancilio Silvia and a Mazzer Mini Grinder. Look on fleabay.

That Zassenhaus grinder sure is a great trail option!
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
This is how I grind my coffee:

http://www.amazon.com/Zassenhaus-156.../dp/B004RXSD9Q

Load the hopper and it will grind the perfect amount for my 17oz Frieling french press. It does a nicer job than any consumer-grade motorized grinder.
That would be too much work first thing in the morning if grinding for an espresso machine I think.

Thanks for the other suggestions everyone, I'll look more into those.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner