Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Coffee!

I use this thing at home too but the aeropress coffee maker makes the best camping coffee. Not great for groups but for the single cup it rocks. Don't camp without it!

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Wish they'd make it in glass-form although I know that would add weight. But having to replace that after every 6 months of regular use seems a little crazy.
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:47 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Meh. When traveling on land or water, I always use a Moka pot. At home, its my Quickmill Anita, grinder and Behmor roaster. Yeah, I'm a coffee geek. Anybody else?

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Dedicated coffee geek here. I became a coffee snob since I moved to Portland where they take it to a whole new level. Have you ever been to a place where they pull three shots in a row, throw them all out because they're not quite perfect then give you the fourth one for free? Love it and yes, it's that much better. Starbucks tastes like sewer water after that.

I got a snow peak french press for camping. I have an Isomac semi-automatic at home that I have used everyday for the last 10 years.

------ Follow up post added June 8th, 2011 11:01 PM ------

I looked at the Anita. How do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90
Meh. When traveling on land or water, I always use a Moka pot. At home, its my Quickmill Anita, grinder and Behmor roaster. Yeah, I'm a coffee geek. Anybody else?
Old June 9th, 2011, 12:11 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
I looked at the Anita. How do you like it?
Love it. She's a beauty. I've had it for quite a few years now (6?) and it's been flawless. The only machine I'd dump her for is a La Spaziale Vivaldi. Once you figure out the HX cooling flush, you're golden. PID controller helps matters. Eliminating other variables like tamp pressure with an Espro helps too.

Nothing like a shot of home roasted Liquid Amber from Sweet Marias!

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Starbucks tastes like sewer water after that.
It's pretty much always tasted that way. They burn the hell out of their beans.

Have you tried Stumptown? I just looked at their website, man they've grown! I used to live a short walk from the original Division St store.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

They have to dark roast in order to cover up the fact that they are stale. No way around it when you warehouse massive quantities of beans.

Of course I know Stumptown. Big fan. Unfortunately they were sold last week to some investment firm known for flipping businesses so we see how long the quality lasts.

Vivace in Seattle has excellent beans as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888

It's pretty much always tasted that way. They burn the hell out of their beans.

Have you tried Stumptown? I just looked at their website, man they've grown! I used to live a short walk from the original Division St store.
------ Follow up post added June 9th, 2011 08:24 AM ------

Nice! I've always wanted to roast my own. Makes more sense taste-wise and financially when you're an addict. Is it difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90

Love it. She's a beauty. I've had it for quite a few years now (6?) and it's been flawless. The only machine I'd dump her for is a La Spaziale Vivaldi. Once you figure out the HX cooling flush, you're golden. PID controller helps matters. Eliminating other variables like tamp pressure with an Espro helps too.

Nothing like a shot of home roasted Liquid Amber from Sweet Marias!
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I like to start with an old granitewear pot. The low squatty ones heat up best. Preferably with a ding on the side so there's some rust showing on the inside. Dip it full of cold creek water, hang it over the fire, and throw in a handful of coffee. I prefer Arbuckles Ariosa blend out of Tucson. "Cowboy coffee" grind. Let 'er run to a boil and stay there as long as you can bear it. Grab the bail with an old leather glove, give it a good propeller spin, and sift the rest of the grounds through the womb broom. Whiskey goes nice in it, too.
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:05 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
They have to dark roast in order to cover up the fact that they are stale. No way around it when you warehouse massive quantities of beans.

Nice! I've always wanted to roast my own. Makes more sense taste-wise and financially when you're an addict. Is it difficult?
You speak the truth about Charbucks' beans. Really, ANY beans you buy off the shelf are months old. Once you start roasting your own, you'll quickly realize that anything over a week old is stale!

If you can pop popcorn, you can roast your own beans. There are a multitude of ways to do it. Check out Sweet Maria's library of info on their webpage. You'll pay half price for green vs. roasted beans, so it's cheaper and tastes better. What's not to like?

Roasting will produce a huge amount of smoke, so if you don't buy a roaster with an afterburner, make sure you have a good ventahood, or else you'll be roasting outside. I use the Behmor and roast inside with it. My Wife doesn't drink coffee, but the smell of roasting beans always makes her want to cook bacon.

Here's a good comparison of roasters:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/roastercomparisonchart.php

How do you like your Isomac? I've heard good things about them.

------ Follow up post added June 9th, 2011 08:10 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
I like to start with an old granitewear pot.
OK Rod, next time we're gather'd round the potbelly stove, I'll bring the Moka pot. You can't beat it for taste, speed, simplicity of use, and packability. Yeah, it goes on sailing trips and hut trips! The Italians knew what they were doing there...

Old June 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
for beans try www.deansbeans.com the best I've found in organic bean. good prices but shipping stings a bit.
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Of course I know Stumptown. Big fan. Unfortunately they were sold last week to some investment firm known for flipping businesses so we see how long the quality lasts.
No-o-o-o-o-o!
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I had been drinking Ruta Maya coffee http://www.rutamaya.net/home.html for years after a visit to Austin. I would get it mailed once a month. I have since switched to Healthy Bean http://www.thehealthybean.com/

I am constantly on the search for the best coffee maker that is auto. Too lazy to make it every morning. I need it set up so it is ready when I wake up.
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post

------ Follow up post added June 9th, 2011 08:10 AM ------

OK Rod, next time we're gather'd round the potbelly stove, I'll bring the Moka pot. You can't beat it for taste, speed, simplicity of use, and packability. Yeah, it goes on sailing trips and hut trips! The Italians knew what they were doing there...
Ahaa!!

But with mine I can boil up ramen noodles, make a pot of chili, take a hot bath, or wash my socks!

(I do believe there was a Moka pot present when we last gathered round the stove)
Old June 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward View Post
But with mine I can boil up ramen noodles, make a pot of chili, take a hot bath, or wash my socks!
OK, ya got me there!

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Sad day indeed. I guess well see. Link: http://wweek.com/portland/blog-27226...s_tell_ww.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888

No-o-o-o-o-o!
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

you guys ever try J Martinez and sons? I have been drinking their coffee on and off for the past 15 years. Very good small roaster. They ship worldwide check out the website.
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Bunn-o-matic with a burr grinder
When I can afford it, Old Tavern Estate from Jamaica.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I'm a reformed beer and coffee snob. I don't think I ever took it to the extent that some of you guys do, but the swill here at the office is free, and the big can of Tim Horton's in the freezer at home is good enough to get me going in the morning. For guests I break out one of the bags of 100% Kona or Kauai (sp?) that the GF or her parents bring from their trips to or visits from Hawaii. Drip or french press. Any fans of percolators out there? Thinking about going back to that.
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Percolator? Heretic!! French press! Are you bringing the goat back?
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Has anyone had that cat crap coffee...aka Kopi Luwak yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2011 01:11 PM ------

This is making me hungry

http://www.animalcoffee.com/proddetail.php?prod=Nat1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner