Coffee! - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:56 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Not for the trail but at home this is the only way to fly....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nespresso-Gran-Maestria-640x706.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	67799  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:59 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Here's my trail coffee setup. I had been using one of the JetBoil french presses and store-ground coffee, which produced predictably mediocre results. A fellow Rover guy, Steve Rupp, turned me onto this setup.

Zassenhaus knee mill: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmari...knee-mill.html

Frieling stainless steel french press: http://frieling.com/products/coffee-and-tea-essentials/

Both of these combine to make amazing coffee and are so well-built that I will surely pass them onto my son, someday.

Old March 17th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Nice set up!

I have a Snow Peak titanium french press, a Snow peak titanium stove and that same Snow Peak titanium mug you have on the hood there. No camping grinder just yet but I usually get fresh beans from http://stumptowncoffee.com/ or http://coavacoffee.com/and have them ground before I head out on a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Here's my trail coffee setup. I had been using one of the JetBoil french presses and store-ground coffee, which produced predictably mediocre results. A fellow Rover guy, Steve Rupp, turned me onto this setup.

Zassenhaus knee mill: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmari...knee-mill.html

Frieling stainless steel french press: http://frieling.com/products/coffee-and-tea-essentials/

Both of these combine to make amazing coffee and are so well-built that I will surely pass them onto my son, someday.
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:36 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Here's my trail coffee setup. I had been using one of the JetBoil french presses and store-ground coffee, which produced predictably mediocre results.
Chris, let me know if you are selling that JetBoil French press. I already have the stove.
Old March 17th, 2013, 01:10 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Chris, let me know if you are selling that JetBoil French press. I already have the stove.
If I can find it, I'll sell it to you. Honestly, it's a piece of crap. The plastic baffles don't do a good job of straining out the coffee grounds and you end up with gritty coffee loaded with grounds.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Yes, But Im not sure how I didnt see it the first time around.

I had a friend sent me some http://www.kingsroadcafe.com/ recently. It was very good.

-Jeff
Cool friend .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:24 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Thanks Chris, but I'll stick to my stainless X-Press. Figured I would
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:28 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Thanks Chris, but I'll stick to my stainless X-Press. Figured I would
... try to lighten the load with the JETT. For home units, give the Capresso machines a look with the burr grinders. It is a great coffee maker. That traveler sees DD use and it is pushing 20 years old!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2802709188.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	565.1 KB
ID:	68322  
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I declared coffee independence several years back. I have an REI coffee press mug which is excellent. I recently lost my 4th, so I need to go get my fifth. They've been with me through several deployments overseas and multiple camping trips. I heat my water when away with a 1kw electric kettle using a 1.5kw onboard inverter. I also have a larger GCI coffee press for when I'm with others, and 6 mugs. I rely on nobody for my juice!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Am I the only one that when wheeling/camping just uses a French press or - gasp - the Starbucks 1-shot (and I hate Starbucks but it does the job)?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 17th, 2013, 09:38 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
I use the Starbucks one shot...I prefer to keep my camping simple.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Nothing wrong with french press. I use this one one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Am I the only one that when wheeling/camping just uses a French press
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The single most important thing you can do to enjoy better tasting coffee is to buy high quality beans that have been freshly roasted. Don't go to grocery stores or Starbucks. Starbucks roasts the crap out of their beans in order to hide the fact that they are stale. They are stale because they have to warehouse massive amounts of beans for all their stores. No need to be drinking toxic sewer water. Instead, order beans online from a high quality roaster. Here is a list. Many places also offer coffee bean subscriptions. Step up the quality of beans you buy. You won't regret it and you'll be supporting small businesses!
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:28 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Old school.....me and my 10 cup perker. As long as it get hot and black.....like my women.
Let the flogging begin.................lol....
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
I became a coffee snob douche several years back when one of my younger sisters worked at a small independent coffee shop. Never looked back since.

Having been raised on Dunkin Donuts I had no idea what GOOD coffee tasted like. Now I drive by the filthy, faceless, huddled masses lined up at the drive-through every morning at Dunkin Donuts and truly feel bad for them. I used to be one of them.
D&D is so pervasive/saturated within New England (and especially in the Greater Boston region - being their home territory) its hard to imagine how they (or the Franchisees) make any money, but beleive me they DO. It's not uncommon to have two D&D stores across the street and down the street from one another ("cannibalizing" thier own sales it seems). Thier locations are nearly as costly (from a development/cost of occupancy standpoint) as any other fast food restaurant, but their menu is limited. I know they are trying to break into the lunch market, but no never see people at D&D after 3-4pm. Can you imagine bringing home a D&D bag for dinner? Their coffee sucks, their bagels suck and their breakfast sandwiches are the best laxitive known to man! and yet they continue to grow exponentially it seems. I was in the Bahamas (Atlantis) last month and they had a Dunkin Donuts......and people were genuinely excited about that!. Crazy!

Just goes to show you how disconnected I am from the majority of this country's inhabitants. I'm not disconnected in a Mitt Romney-I'm-trying -to-understand-how-the-prole-class-thinks sort of way, but more like a how-the-F-to-you-get-excited-about-crap-food? way.

Anyway, the point of my rant is that I'm reading some national commercial real estate news this morning and see that Dunkin is planning an even more aggressive expansion in 2013-2014 (they already opened 291 new locations in 2012). Haven't we learned anything from Krispy Kreme's IPO faceplant about 15 years ago?

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/A...-Donuts/146796

BTW, I don't understand Starbuck's business model either but I guess that's why I'd never make it as a CEO because I couldn't bullshit and convince everyone that exapanding upon a bad idea is the best way to make more money.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Explorer0863
Tony Q
1957 Series I V8

Registry
Interesting thread. My girlfriend works for a federal agency that help farmers. A few months ago, around Christmas time, she had to go and visit a coffee farmer/grower in the mountains of Puerto Rico. I had the opportunity to go and meet the owner, Don Pepe. What an awesome and humble guy. He still personally runs the business with his family and is involved with and support many charities. The best part was to be able to enjoy and drink his coffee, with him, friends and family. As you can imagine, it was as fresh as you can get...and what a flavor. This is truly a very special gourmet coffee. It's called Mis Abuelos. Didn't miss the opportunity to take a couple of pics, including one with Don Pepe.

BTW, I saw several newer Range Rovers, many Discoverys, zero vintage LRs and one 94 NAS green Defender up in the mountains. Didn't have the opportunity to talk to the owner. It was parked near the town square and the owner wasn't around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fiesta Mis Abuelos_1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	69845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mis Abuelos_Don Pepe.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	69846  

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	69847  

Current:
1957 SI 88" 3.9L V8
1999 Disco 2 White Gold

Previous:
1999 Disco 2 Rioja Red
1994 RRC LWB
1991 RRC SWB
1995 RRC SWB
1969 IIA Sta Wgn 109" NADA #798/811
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:10 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer0863 View Post
Interesting thread. My girlfriend works for a federal agency that help farmers. A few months ago, around Christmas time, she had to go and visit a coffee farmer/grower in the mountains of Puerto Rico. I had the opportunity to go and meet the owner, Don Pepe. What an awesome and humble guy. He still personally runs the business with his family and is involved with and support many charities. The best part was to be able to enjoy and drink his coffee, with him, friends and family. As you can imagine, it was as fresh as you can get...and what a flavor. This is truly a very special gourmet coffee. It's called Mis Abuelos. Didn't miss the opportunity to take a couple of pics, including one with Don Pepe.

BTW, I saw several newer Range Rovers, many Discoverys, zero vintage LRs and one 94 NAS green Defender up in the mountains. Didn't have the opportunity to talk to the owner. It was parked near the town square and the owner wasn't around.
I hear the people down there are AWESOME!

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
Puerto Rico is the best! We vacation there frequently and you get the best of both worlds! Tropical Paradise, exotic 3rd world flavor - Stable government and infrastructure!

Boricua!
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Korongo
Cameron Bell
1984 Defender 90, 1988 Defender 110

Registry
Independence Coffee here in Texas makes some good blends... I'm not an aficionado (I mainly rely on my Kuerig) but it has an unique flavor.
http://www.independencecoffee.com/
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:31 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
My wife and i have been importing coffee from Costa Rica for the past three years. We had many Tico friends down there that were trying to revive their families legacy in coffee, so it didn't take long to connect the dots. Before then, we knew what we liked in coffee, but now we know coffee--all types and roasts.

Our business model is to direct source from origin. Primarily micro lot batches from small plantations in the CR Central Range. We know people at every set of the process, from cultivation to roasting. When we find great beans we buy'm, roast'm, package'm and air ship to Boston. We don't sell a lot, but what we do get is hard to find and best in class. Thus it moves fast, <3 weeks.

And, I am in the midst of setting up distribution on the west coast of CR, to supply the expat and tourist towns. It may be hard to believe but the majority of coffee sold within CR is crap, all the good stuff is exported. We don't make much from sales, but the experiences we have had from exploring coffee plantations, in our land rover and land cruiser, all over central america are priceless.

Pura Vida!

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner