Coffee! - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner

Old June 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

We have a bag of weasel coffee in our office. It was a gift. Haven't tried it yet.
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
If you want to try good coffee and support another land rover owner at the same time you could check out http://www.catahoulacoffee.com/ I'm not affiliated but do drink it everyday and serve it at my restaurants. Timber does actually deliver the coffee in his 5.3l series2a 109 built by Timm Cooper! Generally has his catahoula dog in the back too.

Daniel
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:34 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
If you want to try good coffee and support another land rover owner at the same time you could check out http://www.catahoulacoffee.com/ I'm not affiliated but do drink it everyday and serve it at my restaurants. Timber does actually deliver the coffee in his 5.3l series2a 109 built by Timm Cooper! Generally has his catahoula dog in the back too.

Daniel
Sold! Just ordered a pound of Sumatra.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:56 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Sometimes I make my own coffee, harvesting, drying, roasting, grinding. Not exactly the Starbucks experience.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
The goat does not recognize this argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Percolator? Heretic!! French press! Are you bringing the goat back?
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

not exactly trail friendly, but I have a delonghi magnifica. My parents friend gave it to them years ago but after 4 or 5 years it started making very bitter espresso and the milk frother ceased to function. My mom gave up on it after trying to clean/fix it so she gave it to me (who may or may not had been asking for it every time I was home). Turns out it just needed about 5 liters of white vinegar, THEN the official cleaning solution run through it, in addition to a $0.10 rubber o-ring for the milk reservoir. Now I drink WAY too much espresso... I love that it has a grinder built in too, even if its less work and less of the experience. Can't beat one-touch.

For camping I usually bring a kettle and a french press with some freshly ground espresso beans.

For a coffee source, I either get beans here locally in DC at Pitango (they also have a Baltimore location) or a buddy of mine in NYC mails me some Blue Bottle (Brooklyn) beans. I also like Chestnut hill Coffee Co's espresso blend (When I'm in Philly). For something easier to find, Whole Foods has a pretty good selection too. I'll usually make my own blend of Kona, Jamaican and anything Robusta!
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
french press is packed away in my hardigg case but als have a large aluminum 10 cup percolator that I take. Press is the way to go when by yourself. Typically I'm being asked for coffee by 4 or 5 others so out comes the percolator. Key with a percolator is not to burn it....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
Sometimes I make my own coffee, harvesting, drying, roasting, grinding. Not exactly the Starbucks experience.
Nothing like the smell of coffee while roasting. It permeates everything.

For a few weeks, we had a small supply of fresh Ethiopian Yirgachefe that we roasted on a pan at home. The entire house smelled incredible, like very, very tasty coffee. Tasted great too

If you get to roast your own coffee on a regular basis, you are one lucky man!
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Nothing like the smell of coffee while roasting. It permeates everything.

For a few weeks, we had a small supply of fresh Ethiopian Yirgachefe that we roasted on a pan at home. The entire house smelled incredible, like very, very tasty coffee. Tasted great too

If you get to roast your own coffee on a regular basis, you are one lucky man!
I like the harvesting part, it's relaxing (unless done for a living obviously).
You walk and pick between the lines and your kids do the "rat job" picking beans
on the ground.
Old July 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Still nothing like French Press coffee, IMO. However, it's a PITA at home. Too much of a mess to clean up before leaving for work. Because of that, I've got the next best thing, the Technivorm Moccamaster.

I've got the KBT-741 model. The KBT-741 has the stainless steel thermos.

This coffee maker is the cats ass. It makes coffee like no other drip machine. Generally I do not like drip machines because I like my coffee pretty strong. But the Moccamaster can easily make a strong cup of coffee that tastes good.

The Moccamaster is fast, too. It can make 1.25 liters in less than 3 minutes. That's nice when you're not a morning person and run late for work daily, like me.

I use the gold filter. If you did not want to use the gold filter you can use a #4 cone filter.

Look at the power cord on this thing! This coffee maker pulls some serious amps. The Moccamaster brews coffee at the perfect temperature of 200*, and is certified by the European Coffee Brewing Centre and The Specialty Coffee Association of America. I don't know how this thing can heat water so fast, but it does.

The internals of the Moccamaster are primarily copper. But the outer case is kind of cheap is you ask me. The water reservoir is thin and would be easy to crack or break. Same for the brew basket. One nice thing, though, if you break one of these parts, you can just buy another one.

IMO, the most important piece of equipment needed to make good coffee is not the maker itself, it's the grinder. To make good coffee you need a burr grinder. It does not matter if you're using a drip machine, Areopress, French Press or a Perk, you can instantly change the flavor of your coffee by going to a burr grinder over a blade grinder. I've got a Gaggia grinder.

This thing is pretty nice and it's built to last a lifetime. Mine has the doser on it, which I don't really like. I got the doser because I had the intention to buy an espresso machine, and I still may. But I don't really like the doser.

I don't have a favorite coffee, I drink all kinds. But we've always got a verity of coffee on hand.

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive read about this mocha-master, the reviews have been somewhat of a letdown at this pricepoint. Temperature is critical, I have had good luck with BUNN's and a KRUP's most recently. Thanks for posting this review.
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Yikes, that thing is expensive for what it does. Thanks for the review. Yep, unless you're running a shop, doserless is the way to go. Here's a pic of my setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	40199  

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Must be nice to have the counter space to store/support all this stuff! I'm just glad my new apt has enough counter space for a dishwasher underneath! One of these set-ups would take up any remaining space I have up top.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Must be nice to have the counter space to store/support all this stuff! I'm just glad my new apt has enough counter space for a dishwasher underneath! One of these set-ups would take up any remaining space I have up top.
The space is newly acquired and much appreciated. You could do what I did for many years prior: I had everything on a wheeled kitchen cart in the breakfast room.

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:43 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
now thats a machine!!
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
Yikes, that thing is expensive for what it does. Thanks for the review. Yep, unless you're running a shop, doserless is the way to go. Here's a pic of my setup:
What about the "Café Amélie" pic on the wall ?
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
now thats a machine!!
Thanks! She suits my needs and been rock solid for the past 5+ years.

------ Follow up post added July 14th, 2011 02:01 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
What about the "Café Amélie" pic on the wall ?
Some friends were recently down in New Orleans, and took a picture of that particular cafe sign as one of our Newfs is named Amélie. Figured that was as good a place as any to hang it up.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
coffee
John Oates
1993 NAS Defender 110 #367/500

Registry
handpresso has some great travel espresso makers. Great for camping. http://www.handpresso.com/produit-1-...o_e_s_e_.html#
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yikes thats an old thread! lol!
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

yeah I didnt remember it either, being the coffee freak that I am!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner