Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 20th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
I approach my camping setup based on requirements. I find it a much better way to plan for equipment then the haphazard collection of random cool stuff, hoping it works.

for my collective kit, my requirement is in 15 min, from time I pull into a campsite in the dark, to have tent setup, cooking kit and food out, and burner on, ready to cook in 15 minutes total.

if you think about, on a typical weekend, car camping or overland trip, one usually leaves in the AM, drives all day with maybe some stops, and then usually pulls into a campsight in early evening between 5-7pm starving and ready to eat. if you get held up, or your pace ends up slower then expected, you may pull in after dark. KISS. Camping should not be alot of work. it sucks the fun and relaxation out of it.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I'm shopping for something to use on some longer trips. I am leaning towards this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any experience good or bad?
What are you using?

I have that and can't say that I would recommend it. I haven't had any issues with it, but it is pretty cheaply made. My biggest complaint is that the lowest setting isn't low enough and the highest setting is pretty much unusable. I've had my cast iron griddle glowing red with that unit. I'm thinking of switching to a single burner and then just getting a grate to put over a fire.
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2016, 05:22 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I have the Partner 2 burner - great quality, heat, etc...
the only issue with it is, its a pain to clean if stuff falls between the burners since the grid is welded in place and you basically have burners with open space in there.

that said - being open means you CAN clean it or just turn it over and dump out what ever fall in there, or power wash it inside and out...

I just bought a small 1 Burner Snowpeak for use with their gas canisters, has 2 legs with the canister forming the 3rd. The plan is that will be the solo camp cook rig or used for coffee and the like when the partner is in use.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
I have the Partner 2 burner - great quality, heat, etc...
the only issue with it is, its a pain to clean if stuff falls between the burners since the grid is welded in place and you basically have burners with open space in there.

that said - being open means you CAN clean it or just turn it over and dump out what ever fall in there, or power wash it inside and out...

I just bought a small 1 Burner Snowpeak for use with their gas canisters, has 2 legs with the canister forming the 3rd. The plan is that will be the solo camp cook rig or used for coffee and the like when the partner is in use.
Rob, seriously? The thing is a breeze to clean. The grill and burners pop out as one unit

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:54 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Huh? Really ?
Shit .... then I have been doing it the special way then..

Oops, I'll try it when I get her me from the beach

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Being single I use a Snowpeak single for some cooking as it takes up less space and burns clean. Sometimes I use my Kelly Kettle if I just need to heat water for drinking or freeze dried meals(Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, etc). I found an old Coleman 2 burner on Craaigslist for $10 which I refurbished for going with more than 1 person. On my motorcycle or bikepacking I use a MSR Whisperlight International multi fuel that way I can share fuel between the bike and the stove. That liter of unleaded for the stove once got me to a gas station!
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 21st, 2016, 08:16 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I approach my camping setup based on requirements. I find it a much better way to plan for equipment then the haphazard collection of random cool stuff, hoping it works.

for my collective kit, my requirement is in 15 min, from time I pull into a campsite in the dark, to have tent setup, cooking kit and food out, and burner on, ready to cook in 15 minutes total.

if you think about, on a typical weekend, car camping or overland trip, one usually leaves in the AM, drives all day with maybe some stops, and then usually pulls into a campsight in early evening between 5-7pm starving and ready to eat. if you get held up, or your pace ends up slower then expected, you may pull in after dark. KISS. Camping should not be alot of work. it sucks the fun and relaxation out of it.
This is similar to our thinking and our old Coleman 2 burner propane has done the job flawlessly. We enjoy cooking & will take the time to make nice meals while camping.... but we always have a couple of precooked (heat & serve) meals for late arrivals or after long hikes. Stews or curries are great for this.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:30 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

You get what you pay for. I borrowed that Everest stove you're looking at and it's just ok. Some of the cheaper stoves don't work well at lower settings so forget trying to simmer. I had the Snow Peak dual burner stove which I really liked by at 22,000 BTU's it flew through disposable canisters like there's no tomorrow. So I sold that one and bought a 22" partner cook stove and a propane canister. Support the fellas in Idaho and buy yourself an all American Cook Partner stove that will last several lifetimes.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:42 AM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

I am a believer in the buy once, cry once theory so the price doesn't scare me with the Partner cookers. How long is the hose?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:09 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I own eight camp stoves, including some ultra-expense Snow Peak models. Without a doubt, my #1 favorite of them all--my go-to stove--is my 1964 Coleman 413G, bought off eBay for $25.

It works at any temperature and has never let me down. Holds a ton of gas internally.

Here's mine making a pot of coffee at 5 degrees Fahrenheit in Northern Idaho in the winter:

1964 Coleman 413G by Chris, on Flickr

Steaks on the cast iron on a mountaintop in the Nevada desert:

1964 Coleman by Chris, on Flickr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old September 22nd, 2016, 01:37 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Propane/butane stoves are absolutely worthless in sub-freezing temperatures. White gas works no-matter-what, is cheap and available at almost any small town convenience store, and easily stored in the MSR screw top bottles. One MSR bottle will last you quite a few meals. I like white gas stoves because they're so efficient that I can make slow-cooker dishes like pozole on it and not worry about running out of fuel.

Seriously, switching to white gas was a revolution for me for long-trip cooking.

/
/
/
/
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:36 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

If you're having problems simmering, add a heat diffuser to your cooking kit. Cheap & only takes up a tiny space. Just an example.

Those Partner Stoves look nice. Couldn't find a price or purchase option on their site.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I own eight camp stoves, including some ultra-expense Snow Peak models. Without a doubt, my #1 favorite of them all--my go-to stove--is my 1964 Coleman 413G, bought off eBay for $25.

It works at any temperature and has never let me down. Holds a ton of gas internally.

I've thought about those, but they are just so damn big and space is at a premium in a D90 (as you know). Does anyone make a smaller white gas stove?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:44 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
The MSR dragonfly mentioned earlier is pretty small and will run on white gas.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:12 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Doesn't get much smaller than the Coleman until you look into a backpacking stove like a MSR or similar.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:47 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Optimus makes a single burner that looks nice but it's pricey.... about 180 on Amazon.
https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/...mus-hiker-plus
I would find space for the Coleman because two burners make cooking much more enjoyable unless you're just boiling water. Or combine the single burner with a folding grill for a fire then it might work for you.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I don't want a backpacking stove. I was thinking of just getting a single burner unit and getting one of those folding grates to put over a fire. I have a Jetboil for boiling water.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 09:48 AM
JSBriggs
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I don't want a backpacking stove. I was thinking of just getting a single burner unit and getting one of those folding grates to put over a fire. I have a Jetboil for boiling water.
I know its not *Snow Peak....

-Jeff
Old September 22nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC

I second the coleman 2-burner white gas stove. We have two, one that lives in the drawer in the D90, and both over 10 years, maybe 20 years + old. I have had to maintain them a little, such as redoing where the adjustment knob goes in, but these just keep going and going and going...
Old September 22nd, 2016, 10:08 AM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

My only concern about the white gas is carrying and storing it inside the vehicle.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Cooking Corner