Window - Rubber Strips - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old March 11th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Window - Rubber Strips

I recently had my removable door tops repainted.

A couple of weeks ago the shop let me know that there were some additional parts that needed to be picked up.

When I got there they had some rubber strips of about 12" that they said were inside the window channels. I can't figure out where they go or how they fit and still let the windows open.

I've also noticed that the retaining strip that holds the sliding glass in place lets water in below the front rivet. Would these strips solve it?

I've looked through all the door-top water ingress topics that I can find but haven't seen the answer (apologies if I'm missing the obvious).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2015, 10:56 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Garrison Outfitters sells the kit for re-insulating these windows and keep them from rattling. If you are sure that you have all your parts, then you just need to try to get ahold of the installation instructions from a kit. It may even be posted on their website. But yes, those rubber strips are most likely the lower gaskets that act as the guide channels for your window panes. They are "u" shaped, right?
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Yes they are. Would they work with the garrison kit? I just installed the GO kit and love it but still have the leak at the front of the retaining strip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Here's a photo of the rubber strips
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:56 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
When you say "Let's water in below the front rivet?" Where are you referring? You don't mean the front stud, do you? Also, you say that you have already installed the GO kit? This was done after you had the shop repaint the door top window frames, no doubt. I'm guessing then that the shop took you door tops apart for you and later handed you these extra strips? But by that time, you had already installed the GO.

I have read the instructions for the GO kit, just to get an idea of what I'd be in for when installing them, but I have yet to do it myself. It was my understanding that the kit is a replacement for all components of the window, save that of the squeegee piece between the panes in the middle. If that's correct, then the parts the shop handed you have already been replaced by the GO kit's parts. Did the lower "u" channel rubber not fully seat during your installation? Or am I getting something wrong.

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2015 08:59 PM ------

Just saw the photo. I was already blabbing while you were posting. That's how long? It looks like the piece that sits in the outboard channel behind the outer forward pane.

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2015 09:00 PM ------

But I'm doing this just from memory.
Old March 12th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

So would that be below the sliding parts of the window panes? I think I have four of them. Attached is the full length photo but it's about 12".

The GO parts replace the felt in the upper horizontal part of the frame.

Old March 12th, 2015, 02:58 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Sorry, it took me a bit to figure this out as I had to do it from my memory of the door top's construction. Also, the GO kit replaces both channels in the upper horizontal as well as the forward outer channel and the trailing inner channel.

I'll bet that those are the rubber inserts that fill the channels not replaced by the GO kit. My thinking is that everything was removed by the paint shop, and then you installed the GO kit. Therefore, you'll be missing these pieces, one of which goes in the forward slanted vertical channel of door top in the channel parallel to the one that got the GO epmd flocked insert. Another goes on the trailing track parallel to the other New GO insert. The top of the door top doesn't get these because the GO kit's inserts go in both channels there. Obviously, repeat the process for the other door top and all your extra pieces will be accounted for.
Old March 12th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Great. Thanks you. I'll give that a go and see if it works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
rubber, trip, window