Defender Source Forum banner

what's it worth? 1959 109 series 2, pick up cab

Tags
109 95 series
3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  o2batsea 
#1 ·
if this isnt the right place for this, apologies and please move it, mods :)

I went to look at a 1959 series 2 109 with pick up cab/petrol, for sale. It is a much older restoration-- 1995 on a galv frame with engine rebuild.

Paint is a bit mismatched, and there is some tearing in the AL body, around the doors.

It has a capstan winch and PTO.

It hasnt been used/driven much since the resto. 2-3k miles, and long periods of sitting.

It was stored "indoors", but not in climate controlled conditions etc. There is now some rust, just above the door hinges [on the body], which is bubbling/cracking the paint and the screen hinges are very rusty. The heater doesnt seem to work [no fan] and there are quite a few other electrical issues.

There is a hoop, but no canvas, and some non stock "soft" top

It drives okay, with a bit of a misfire. the muffler is blowing, although it is supposed to be stainless. First gear has a very loud whine-- is that because it is straight cut, or it might be an issue? It has a solex carb.

the cab top is dinged/bumpy.

it looks better in the photos than in person.

I know it's tricky, but any ideas of its "ball park" value, comments, advice etc, very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
not wanting to came along as an ahole but is is almost worth what you are willing to pay.
a real p/u truck is rare this side of the pond. consider the dificulty of body pannels (rovers north) the rest of the parts are very much the same as any model.
are you planning on doing major work your self or subletting to a shop?
how is the bulk head? I have heard it is a major undertaking if it needs replacing.
what about under carriage rust and frame rust.
consider all of these caviats in making and offer, I would suggest a 2500 to 3000 ball park to begin then negotiate with the seller.

#6 ·
Its got a galvanized chassis and been stored indoors. Tough to think they would put a rotten bulkhead back on it when doing a frame swap.
ok that tips the balance to the seller as he has some peace of mind to offer.
so being that it may have been worked over when it received the galvi. frame I would say 3k and up.
I have yet to see a vehicle break down for lack of paint or body work, keep in mind mechanical and rust decay will be your biggest barganing tool.
paint hell use brush....lol.

#8 ·
If the frame and bulkhead are solid, transmission, brakes, clutch, all work, electrics not a total clusterfuck, then easily 6k, possibly more depending on the overall quality of the work.

I would say that from the pics and your description that if the price is below 5k and you really want a 109, buy it. Although I do all my own work so my opinion is colored by the reduced cost associated with that. If you have to pay someone to replace or weld up the bulkhead, or rebuild the transmission, etc., then it might get expensive.

#10 ·
If that was mine and I was selling it I cant imagine listing it for less than $7k-8k. Would I pay that much? I dont know, but I'm cheap and still have that I can fix it thing going on. The pics look good and the interior doesn't look buggered up. Even has the ashtray! It looks like it would be a great starting point and with the galv. frame swap done you cant go too wrong. Are you guys even in the same ballpark on price? Good luck with it!

Daniel

#12 ·
I'd agree 6k to 8k. Series trucks seem to have finally started to increase in value a little. I think the big question would be are you looking for in a Series truck? If you really want an older pickup, I would definately go for this one unless the price is wrong.

#15 ·
sorry for the lack of follow up

this landy was well and thoroughly restored in 1995, but in some respects I think certain upgrades would have been better than "authentic/original". eg, imho, an overdrive would have been better than the pto, maybe an SIII synchro box as part of the rebuild etc,

however, the biggest problem for me, was that it really had not been maintained, driven or stored correctly in the 16 yrs since, and frankly it showed. :eek: and was a crying shame

I was concerned about potential issues from this-- I've experienced [$$$] problems before with low mileage, cosmetically good vehicles, that have sufferred terribly from lack of use/maintenance.

and.... he was asking $22k.

when I went to see it, he came down to $17k.

at or around that sort of price I had expected it to be absolutely minty, "better than new" if you will, and it just wasn't even close

so I passed.

but, the good news is, I definitely want one now :)

just cant find one! :angry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.