what to do with a Series I - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2016, 07:17 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

what to do with a Series I

I have a Series I that I am probably going to buy from a friend. It is in excellent condition cosmetically and very good condition mechanically. The original 2 litre is a dog though, and, it stops like an old rover....

I know some of you have added disk brakes, new motors, and Salsbury rear axles, etc....

I am looking for ideas as to changing the motor and drivetrain, any one care to offer some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2016, 07:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
I have a Series I that I am probably going to buy from a friend. It is in excellent condition cosmetically and very good condition mechanically. The original 2 litre is a dog though, and, it stops like an old rover....

I know some of you have added disk brakes, new motors, and Salsbury rear axles, etc....

I am looking for ideas as to changing the motor and drivetrain, any one care to offer some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
I would sell it and buy a later Series. It'd be a shame to do that to an original Series I
Old April 26th, 2016, 07:41 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
....I am looking for ideas as to changing the motor and drivetrain, any one care to offer some suggestions?
Chuck,

There is an article in Land Rover World April 2002 where Timm Cooper and Michael Slade took a Series 1 and put Disco and Range Rover axles under it and slapped a Chevy V8 in it. It is a very nice conversion. I have the article and can scan it if you want.

I would keep it original but if you decide to change the motor and drive train please keep me in mind. I am starting my Series 1 restoration soon and can use any extra parts I can find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2016, 07:59 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Chuck although I drive a heavily modified Timm Cooper built series 1 I have to agree with Jimmy (maybe the first time ever)

if you have a very original S1 id consider keeping it that way and look for one that is more of a basket case to modify. You can PM me and i can send you a scanned copy of the LRO article on my truck as well if you'd like.
Old April 26th, 2016, 08:05 PM
tpond
Toby Pond

Lets see some pics of the S1! What year/wheelbase is it?
Old April 26th, 2016, 08:15 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
If the motor bothers you too much put a 2.25 petrol in it, and keep the 2L on the shelf for when you want to be a purist again.
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:05 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I wheeled with Slade and his S-I in Moab years ago- super cool rig. But these days, I would encourage keeping it orig as there are lots of cheap disposable Rovers to wheel/modify. Not too many originals left..

Old April 26th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I had a Series 1 with a 3.9/LT95 conversion and it was bad ass, the only truck I truly regret getting rid of. Honestly the stupidest thing I have ever done………that said, I would never do that conversion if I had an original S1.

If you want a truck with more juice scoop up a nice S3 and convert it. Keep that S1 original…….please.
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
The Serious One
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	148172  

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 26th, 2016, 10:19 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I can only dream about owning a Series I, but keeping it original or as original as possible would be my goal. Even if it takes machining and fabricating parts that are identical or near identical. There can't be that many parts anyways.

As for acceleration and stopping, I would be happy with 30-40hp and drum brakes. I wouldn't use the Series I for anything but local road cruising. Trips to the store, etc.

If you're dead set on changing the axles or drivetrain, I would keep the original frame at the very least. Galvanize that sucker.

If you need a daily or need to drive on the highway, take something else...
Old April 26th, 2016, 10:44 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Consider that LR has now sold all 25 of these to be restored $100k Series Is and there is a strong argument for preservation.

Land Rover to produce 'new' Series 1*
Old April 26th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
It would be sad to see a nice Series 1 devalued by chopping it up into a Frankin Rover trail rig. Kind of like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari - but worse.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:19 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old April 27th, 2016, 06:40 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Hillarious!! Thanks for posting video

Old April 27th, 2016, 03:49 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

PM me your address and I'll send someone to pick it up.

Echoing others...leave it be...it's just slightly more advanced than an old tractor and should really stay that way if it's remotely original.

...edit...oh, and it really should be pretty zippy under 40. My buddy with several AusinHealy-s ? says he's amazed how well my '53 drives.
Old April 27th, 2016, 04:10 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
For some reason, none of the pictures in that thread are visible? maybe just the computer I'm on?
Old April 27th, 2016, 04:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Rebuild on a 2L is not for the faint of heart or light of wallet. If the 2L is really sick (it could just need a tune up and decoke of the head and valve adjustment -- ie deferred maintenance) would run a merc diesel four cylinder like Ike did with his 80in. They are approaching free used and parts are readily available and they have ok power and good reliability. Best option is to keep the 2L if you can and in no event should you let it go even if you pull it.

The brakes can be made to work quite well. I would just fix them.

The other question is what SI? Is it an 80, 86, 88, 107, 109? All can be fitted with a 2.25 petrol and associated trans/t-case although finding a trans out of a S1 diesel with the mechanical linkage or making that work with what you have is not easy and I don't like the conversion on anything other than the 88 and 109.

Also, post some pics.
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:21 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I have to agree with everyone else. If it's original, then certainly it didn't survive unmolested for 60 years or so for someone to jack with it now. If you don't like it the way it is, sell it on and find one (like mine) that has already been bastardized. And then you can bastardize it some more without any guilt.
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:59 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
I had overhauled a 2.0L IOE engine from a 1956 86 and it was surprizing peppy.

Don't under estimate the value of a fresh engine. I think its imporatnt to consider fresh engine performance vs how old and tired an engine is; before you decide to go to bigger engin and all the costly side effects from that option.

Years ago at a buddies shop, we dyno'd a series 2 with a 2.25 in it. Odo turned over at least once, and belived to be original engine and internals. 6 pulls and best peaked at 21 wheel HP.... IIRC first pull was 16 peak WHP.

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series