What Have I Done!?---1956 Series I 88" - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old April 20th, 2016, 01:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

A couple cans of PB blaster, a box of zip lock bags, a thing of sticky notes and a sharpie to write down what goes in each bag, a camera to take a million pictures, and a couple years of your life later and a lot of money and it will be perfect.

Given that it is a Series I, I would try to make it as correct as possible down to using the correct original bolts in as many places as you can. It looks pretty complete and straight which will be a great boon to your restoration -- frankly the original frame and bulkhead look pretty good too so maybe there is some resale money there for you too.

I highly suggest finding a copy of the original series one by James Taylor and a copy of the SI green bible and SI parts manual and reviewing them carefully.

Happy to chat about the project if you need help/guidance.
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 02:31 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks Ron. I will definitely take you up on that offer. The body panels are pretty straight. The hood is in better shape than my 1983 110. There are some fillers on the wings that I will have to figure out how to get off because I like to take the panels apart before painting. I hate seeing paint fill in the cracks. As you can see someone tried to remove the blue paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6664.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	147739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6665.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	147740  

Name:	DSCN6667.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	147741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6668.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	147742  

Name:	DSCN6672.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	147743   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6674.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	147744  

Name:	DSCN6676.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	147745   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6685.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	147746  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 20th, 2016, 05:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Propane torch and a putty knife removes old filler like butter (do it outside with a respirator).

Aircraft stripper should take off the paint (wrap it in plastic to make it more effective).

It looks like a really good base for a restoration. Give me a ring anytime. I will PM you my cell.
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 07:48 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So I have to start cataloging what I have and what I need. Looks like I am missing the bulkhead vent mechanisms. A quick search and it seems I will be spending quite a bit for Series I parts! Anyone know a good vendor for Series I parts?

I started reading the Series I user manual and will be going through the WSM next. I am so stoked. Now I have to find garage space!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 20th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

The Series 1 vent mechanisms were a pain in the ass to find and one of the most expensive parts (for what they are) I bought for mine.

Ike is going to be your best resource in the US. There are others, but he has more than anyone I have come across. The S1 club is the best international resource.

If it were mine, I would get it driving and then change out non original parts for original parts as they come along.....in other words, improvise when you need too. Otherwise, you might be waiting for parts for years. Get it driving make it a rolling restoration.
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Score of the century for sure. Start with Ike.
Old April 21st, 2016, 08:38 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Very cool brass or bronze plate on the passenger seat box. Anyone familiar with "Wheelers" in Newbury?

I wonder if this is the same family: Wheelers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN6682.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	147806  

Old April 21st, 2016, 09:27 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

It's waaaytoo easy to buy parts from LRSOC if Ike doesn't have it. Jealous
Old April 23rd, 2016, 08:29 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So unlike other girls in my life, this bitch drew first blood! I don't even have a name for her yet

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	147942

Old April 24th, 2016, 03:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Bloody Mary sounds as good a name as any. :-)
Old April 24th, 2016, 09:05 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Bloody Mary sounds as good a name as any. :-)

That's a good one. I am positive there will be more blood, sweat, and tears!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series one