Truck Stopped Running - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old August 5th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Albersj51
jason
1967 2a

if your oil smells like gas, it may be a good idea to change your oil so that you know it's not too thin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
djrover
Dave Johnson
'91 RRC

if it doesnt already have one, you may want to consider a cheap, see-through inline filter from your local parts store right before the carb - just to monitor the condition of the fuel...at least temporarily until you figure it out. I chased a similar intermittent problem for a long time and with a lot of parts. Put a glass filter in and started to see very fine sand like particles accumulating in the filter. Hole in the draw tube screen and a lot of crap at the bottom of the tank, occasionally blocking enough fuel to stall it. Good luck.
'01 RR 4.6 HSE - Gone!
'00 Disco 2 - Gone!
'95 Disco 5-Spd - Gone!
'92 RR County SWB - Gone!
'63 2A SWB - Gone!
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yeah, been there, had the glass filter, had the engine fire...didn't get the t-shirt.

though, I'm off petrol LR's these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrover View Post
if it doesnt already have one, you may want to consider a cheap, see-through inline filter from your local parts store right before the carb - just to monitor the condition of the fuel...at least temporarily until you figure it out. I chased a similar intermittent problem for a long time and with a lot of parts. Put a glass filter in and started to see very fine sand like particles accumulating in the filter. Hole in the draw tube screen and a lot of crap at the bottom of the tank, occasionally blocking enough fuel to stall it. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Good and Bad News!!!

The good new is that I was able to replace my fuel pump, in-line filter and fuel hose. See pictures.

Drove the truck around town, did some errands and even attended the monthly club meeting, Charles even drove my truck.

The bad news is that something went very wrong with the electrical system...

When I was about to head back home, the hi-beam switch started smoking... Charles was seeing the lights dim and flicker. I was able to figure that the hi-beam foot switch was shorting.

Then something started to make a grinding noise and I could not figure what the hell what was the sound (I was driving at the moment). I shut the truck off and kept hearing it. Turns out it was the starter... Now the truck will not start with it. I was able to use the hand crank to start it.

Will see the extent of the damage when it stops raining.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0493.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	41132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0496.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	41133  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0497.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	41134  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Could the starter have remained engaged the last time you started the truck and then been spum considerably faster than it was designed to until it self destructed.
Pull the starter motor and have a look.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery first or you might end up doing some 12 volt arc welding.
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Could the starter have remained engaged the last time you started the truck and then been spum considerably faster than it was designed to until it self destructed.
Pull the starter motor and have a look.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery first or you might end up doing some 12 volt arc welding.
That's my initial guess too. The book I have is not that great, I'm waiting for the "green Bible". Maybe the starter relay/solenoid burned with all the rushing current and the starter is OK. (wishful thinking $35 vs $300)

Once I stopped the truck, the starter ran for a minute or so... I was trying to get my tools out to disconnect the battery. But it was too late, the starter stopped on its own (or seize up).

When I turn the key to start the vehicle... nothing, not even a click. I was able to start the engine with the hand crank (got to love that).

Old August 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
bump start can be your friend as well.... you frigging amateur.
let it roll forward down hill or a small incline, shift into second gear, turn ignition switch to "on".... as you have gathered speed you pop the clutch it wil jerk and then come to life... mash the throtle and keep on going nevr look back.
do I have to explain the facts of life as well as the birds and the bees too.
geez wiz
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:11 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
bump start can be your friend as well.... you frigging amateur.
let it roll forward down hill or a small incline, shift into second gear, turn ignition switch to "on".... as you have gathered speed you pop the clutch it wil jerk and then come to life... mash the throtle and keep on going nevr look back.
do I have to explain the facts of life as well as the birds and the bees too.
geez wiz
Funny you mention this... I told Charles that from now on I was parking at the top of the hill. LOL

To my luck the starter is fine. I by-passed the starter solenoid, hooked it directky to the battery and the truck started on the first try.

I will ne getting a new solenoid and will post back.

Old August 16th, 2011, 12:23 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Lucky you.
Old August 16th, 2011, 06:47 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Lucky you.
I know

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Before you install that new solonoid I would strongly recommend, if you have not done so already, that you make absolutely sure that there is not a short in the primary wiring or melted wire insulation that will become a short.
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Experience "The Land Rover Experience at your local Land Rover distributor".
now it makes sense what they mean by that slogan on those commercials, haa, haaaa...
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Winter Project in Late Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Before you install that new solonoid I would strongly recommend, if you have not done so already, that you make absolutely sure that there is not a short in the primary wiring or melted wire insulation that will become a short.
Yes indeed. There's all sort off melting... I'm lucky that the truck did not burst into flames.

The high-beam lead wire was shorting and all hell broke loose. I've traced and replaced most of the melted wires.

I'm relocating the low/high-beam to a more dry/rust free area. I will change to a SPDT toggle switch on the dash.

I was planning to do the wiring as a Winter Project... Guess Santa came early this year and will be doing it as a Late Summer Project.

I guess that someone before me read this

http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html
Attached Images

Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I'm picking up the new solenoid and will install it tonight.

Also, I found several wires melted and replaced all of the lamps wiring.

I'm hand-cranking the truck and been driving the truck around town... so far so good.

Thanks for the help/support.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions