Towing behind an RV - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Landerley
Larry
1969 Land Rover IIA Dormobile

Registry
Towing behind an RV

Has anyone flat towed a Series 109 or even an 88 behind an RV?

I did it with my 4 door JK with no problems and without disconnecting the axles. Actually that is probably the most commonly towed vehicle you see. But I have never seen a Defender or Series towed behind an RV. My concern would be how the narrow wheel base and turning radius would react. But since it would be behind a 35' RV I can't see the turning radius being an issue.

On a related question, the front has MAP locking hubs so it would be easy to just unlock those and have only the wheels spinning. Could I install locking hubs on the rear to do the same? I asked a friend about this and he said that it can be done and was not an uncommon mod to flat tow other kind of 4wd, especially older Jeeps.

I know I could always do a trailer but the weight and inconvenience of dealing with a trailer make that undesirable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2015, 07:10 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I have flat towed my 88" behind a pickup with a large slide-in camper with no issues. I had lockout hubs on the rear as well as the front and used clip on tail/signal lights on the rear of The Rover. It was great to pull in a campground somewhere and unhook and use the Rover to explore. No issues ever except every once in awhile I would stop just to see if it was still there as I didn't have a rear view camera at the time and couldn't see it in the mirrors. Oh the whole rig won't back worth a damn while hooked together. I have a new RV and I intend to tow the 88" behind it again.
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:26 AM
Landerley
Larry
1969 Land Rover IIA Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover View Post
I have flat towed my 88" behind a pickup with a large slide-in camper with no issues. I had lockout hubs on the rear as well as the front and used clip on tail/signal lights on the rear of The Rover. It was great to pull in a campground somewhere and unhook and use the Rover to explore. No issues ever except every once in awhile I would stop just to see if it was still there as I didn't have a rear view camera at the time and couldn't see it in the mirrors. Oh the whole rig won't back worth a damn while hooked together. I have a new RV and I intend to tow the 88" behind it again.
Great info. Any problems with installing the hubs on the rear? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the rear axle is already full floating (unlike most other small 4wd) so the conversion should be straight forward bolt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2015, 07:38 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
rear hubs just like front hubs.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 25th, 2015, 06:52 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

A car hauler is much easier and less risky especially if you somehow leave the t-case in low range like I did.
Miles later when someone came along side and motioned for me to look in the sideview mirror, there was a very smoking D90.
The trans, t-case and underdrive all showed 500 degrees plus with an IR thermometer.
Fortunately we were only 300 miles from Rob Dassler.
Very expensive lesson. Bought a car hauler (which you can back up with) after that.
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I pulled my 59 behind various things, but not an RV. I put Warn M11 free wheel hubs on the rear and front. The only trick was I had to grind off the nubs on the ends of the axles to make them fit. It is a lot of unbraked weight so a car hauler is better of course, but it was fine.
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:33 AM
Cr4evr
Roland
1995 Defender 90 soft top

I have flat towed my 95 NAS D90 ST from California to Alaska, Alaska to Boston and Boston to Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Behind my 40 foot RV using a tow bar and nothing but smooth sailing
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Just A Number
MP
1984 SIII Lightweight

Technical question for the headshed...

There are numerous threads discussing the fact that the hubs need to be regularly locked in to make the oil splash around in there. How does this jibe with flat towing for a 1000 miles? I'd love to flat tow my lightweight places but I'm a little nervous about no oil splashy.
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:36 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Pack with grease b4 trip.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
If you pull the driveshafts,, no need to lock or unlock hubs and no need to worry about proper lubrication as it will be just as if the car was driving.

Locking the hubs once in a while is more of thing with Series trucks where you need the u-joint to spin and throw lube to the upper kingpin and its bushing or bearing. Theoretically that would be a factor for a coil sprung vehicle fitted with freewheel hubs up front. But you would have to rack up a ton of miles to notice a difference.
Old February 26th, 2015, 04:10 PM
WildBoar
Derek Borror
109 withdrawals filled by a 110

Registry
To ease a lot of my angst for all these reasons I just used a double-axle flat-bed car hauler from uHaul. Towed my 109 from Florida to NC behind my 29 ft RV. No worries at all until the ice storm hit.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:45 AM
mgyip
Matthew
1972/Series 3 88"

Granted, using locking hubs on both axles will effectively disconnect the wheels from the drivetrain but that's not necessary so long as the transfer case is in Neutral. This was the biggest boon for part-time 4WD owners - towing by simply moving a lever rather than having to disconnect axles or use a dolly/trailer.

I'm hoping to take my Series from the Washington DC area to the Outer Banks this year behind my venerable pickup truck. The prospect of a 3000# unbraked "trailer" isn't too exciting but virtually all towing problems stem from a lack of common sense. The narrow track and short wheelbase shouldn't be an issue when towing, especially since the "trailer" has four wheels, each at the outer corner of the "trailer's footprint.

Any suggestions on a good tow-bar?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
wing