Timm Cooper disc brake conversion available again! - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:43 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Hey Brian,

Is your series 3 red by chance?

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

John,

Keep in mind that the 101 hubs on your machine are much larger diameter than series or coiler parts and a stock wheel will not physically fit over the center of the hub. Modifying a wheel to fit would greatly reduce its strength unless it was done very carefully. I think Wolfs or other rims could be made to fit as the center is much thicker - I am planning on making a set of custom Wolfs for my project.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Thats a good point...there is nothing wrong with the rims I have now except i really like the stock look. Check out the ones on Timms truck..

http://roamoffroad.com/wheels.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Me too. It is one of the downsides of using a 101 front axle. Everything is super beefy, but, the again, everything is super BIG .
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I actually have .DXF I made of the Jackman center for a 101 hub and a 17 inch wheel, rover pattern. I was going to get the centers CNC water jet cut and weld them into a set of 17 inch shells, for a set of period looking wheels. I find that 37s on 17 inch rims look totally stock from a distance.
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:57 PM
shoefnik
Brian Horner
SIII 6.0L Vortec/4L65-E/Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macker View Post
Hey Brian,

Is your series 3 red by chance?

Mack
Yes sir it is!
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefnik View Post
Yes sir it is!

I believe I saw it in Timm's garage when I visited his place a few months ago. That is a unique and beautiful looking truck you are building.
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:06 PM
shoefnik
Brian Horner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Brian Id like to get a set of your wheels but Timm mentioned they wouldnt clear the calipers on the 101. Can something be done about this?
Well... we're not 100% sure to be honest. You have possible caliper clearance issues and the fact that your drive flange hubs are bigger than the bore on a standard wheel. Now I figure we can bore the center hole on the wheel to fit your hub but we're just not sure about the caliper clearance. The BEST thing to do would be to source an old Rover wheel, roughly die grind or torch out the center to clear your hub and then slide it on to evaluate the caliper clearance issue. There may be no issues or it may be so subtle that we just need to trim a smidge off the wheel. If it's major then you'd need to consider adding a spacer. The rear axle is a snap - just add the ROAM rear-only disc conversion and the wheels will fit perfectly.

Let me know if you decide to push forward with the experiment and we'll assist from our side.

Thanks,
Brian
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefnik View Post
Gonzo is my SIII 88" that Timm is working on. I drove gonzo for years in stock form and decided to hand it over to Timm when I found out that this would be one of his last builds. It's running a Vortec 6.0L V8, Timm's custom transfer case, 4L65E transmission (auto), SOA, PS, 4-wheel ROAM disc brakes, Salisbury front with 35 spline ROAM shafts and a HO72 Eaton rear running massive custom 30 spline shafts. The front frame horns have been extended and it has rear 88" springs up front and rear 109" springs in the rear for better articulation which has also added the extra bonus of increasing the wheelbase to around 96". ARB front and rear and is presently loaded with 35" tires on ROAM wheels. A lot of focus has gone into keeping it looking clean and somewhat stock. Hopefully it'll be road/trail worthy in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to post some pictures when it's done.
Brian
Brian, my memory of the Gonzo going GONZO spec. vers. 1.0 is that Gonzo was going to get Defender style coil springs up front and retain leafs in back. What caused that part of the design specification to change to the older long leaf spring up front standard that people have been doing for a decade plus????

Glad to hear it is almost done though. I know you have been waiting forever to get the truck back.

Now that the snow is 95% off the ground and the north facing cement driveway surface is getting above freezing during the day I have been getting to those odds & end maintenance things I've been putting off during the winter. Next project is to replumb the fuel line to remove the low pressure canister type fuel filter that gets hot enough to cause vapour lock after 3 or 4 hours of driving in 90 plus degree ambient temperatures.

Once I have the new pump & fuel filter placement figured out and plumbed I'll be free to head out on hotter days.

Looking forward to the day I can crawl under your truck & see the visible changes to the new GONZO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
shoefnik
Brian Horner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Brian, my memory of the Gonzo going GONZO spec. vers. 1.0 is that Gonzo was going to get Defender style coil springs up front and retain leafs in back. What caused that part of the design specification to change to the older long leaf spring up front standard that people have been doing for a decade plus????.
Nope, I was always wanting to retain the leafs in Gonzo. It was the Catahula rig that got the linked front setup. In my eyes leafs are a large part of the Series Land Rover soul and a genuine part of the experience when driving them. Of course, that's just my personal preference today and maybe I'll change my mind and install coils if I reach the limits of what the leafs can deliver one day Ė but I doubt it. Itís funny how that moral line you draw for modifying your Rover changes as your needs change.

Brian
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
AdvenJack
Jack
FOR SALE: Timm Cooper Series III

If anyone has a good contact number for Timm Cooper I could use it. I own one of his Great Trucks and want to ask a question about it. The phone number I have is out of date. Thanks guys! I am at: shootistjack@gmail.com

Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Well look who has surfaced! Welcome back.. Hows the rig? Nice to have another owner of a Cooper rig back on the board. Send me a pm and Ill give you his email address.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
Glad to see you back Jack , you drive a very well built ( Timm Cooper ) vehicle .
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
I have his contact info. Ill send it over.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old February 10th, 2013, 01:13 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Well I have about 10k miles in 3 months on my disc brake kit and I can say its been a blessing to have. I have had two occasions that these have saved my butt. On two occasions I had someone pull out in front of me while I was doing 45 mph and these brakes stopped my 6200 lb 109 with just inches to spare . Having driven series rigs for the last 15+ years I know for a fact the stock brakes wouldn't have cut it. So for anyone thinking about this kit it has performed as intended. Just thought I would let everyone know my experience with the ROAM kit.

Cheers Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old February 10th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Very cool...I wish I could throw one in my 109", instead I've been messing with stupid drum brakes and cylinders for the last weeks and haven't finished yet!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Jim-ME
Jim Ecker
1964 Series 2/2a bitsa

I recently had the front conversion on an 88 installed. Al I can say is what a difference they make. I don't feel like I have to plan ahead for every stop anymore. No more pump twice and pray. An excellent kit all the way around. We did run into some fitment issues with 15" wheels but nothing a grinder couldn't take care of. Can't wait til I can afford to do the rears.
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:55 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

No, the caliper hit the inside of the rim. Apparently there are two differing 15" wheel types (I seem to have an abundance of the wrong kind) combined with the less than stellar rip off casting used by the manufacturers of the "proline" calipers led to a slight interference between the wheel and the brake.
This is not a common issue. With genuine calipers (Girling) and the correct wheels it is an excellent kit.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 12th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Jim-ME
Jim Ecker
1964 Series 2/2a bitsa

I was extremely lucky that I had Matt do the installation especially since I contacted ROAM to make sure that their conversion would fit a 15" rim which I know the Torrel kit does not. I had no clue that there were different 15" rims. If it were not for Matt's knowledge and abilities I would have been totally screwed. With that being said, I'm planning on doing the rears down the road and will move up to 16" rims once my current tires wear out or when I can score a set of Wolf rims. That should permit me to be able to rotate tires which right now I'm not sure I can do. Bottom line, I can not say enough good about Matt Browne period. At this point I'm not sure in which order I will do the rears. New wheels and tires or new disc brakes. If I do the rear brakes before tires and wheels I do know they will be genuine calipers but neither will happen until I talk to Matt first.
Jim
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:19 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Not sure how to follow that up as my last few attempts at walking on water were dismal failures.

Bottom line is that Roam makes an excellent, well designed and beautifully crafted product that is very well suited to a competent backyard mechanic as well as an opportunity for small businesses such as my own to be able to offer some pretty sweet upgrades for a very reasonable price. Hats off to (Roam) for having the balls to go out there and do this.

OK enough arse kissing. I have to go over to Pirate for a minute and get my head straight.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, conversion