T-Case gear ratios 1.53:1 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
T-Case gear ratios 1.53:1

Im Installing a om617 Benz into my 109 and am wanting to run a set of 3.54 axles I have. With the current 3.54 ratios I need to lower the final drive to get the Benz motor into its sweet spot at 60 ish. I could go with the stock 4.7 ratio and run a OD or High ratio t-case gears and be in good shape. But i have a set of stage one axles and the rear is a Sals so im wanting the extra strenght. Any ways the 109 military and forward Control I think came with these ratios. Any help on where to get the gears to do a swap would be great.

Cheers Ed

here is a neet ratio calculator I have been using "kinda fun to play with"

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I think what you are looking for is the 1 ton transfer case. Regular MOD trucks used the 1 ton chassis but had the same tcase gearing as regular Series

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:31 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
I think what you are looking for is the 1 ton transfer case. Regular MOD trucks used the 1 ton chassis but had the same tcase gearing as regular Series

Aw thanks for that, do you know if there is any strenght differences? And or what years they where available.

Thanks Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Series

1 Ton

The 1 Ton 109" - produced from 1968 to approx 1977, covering late IIA and early series III Models. It was basically a Series IIB Forward Control built with a standard 109" body, featuring 2.6 litre petrol engine, lower ratio gearbox, ENV front and rear axles, (Salisbury front and rear on later Series IIIs) though some late IIAs were fitted with ENV axles in front and Salisbury on the rear. The chassis frame was unique to the model and featured drop-shackle suspension similar to the military series Land Rovers. 900x16 tyres were a standard feature and these machines were commonly used by utility companies and breakdown/recovery firms. Only 170 IIa and 275 (approx) Series IIIs (1 Ton) were built for the home market.
[edit]

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Aw thanks for that, do you know if there is any strenght differences? And or what years they where available.

Thanks Ed
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:24 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Looks like i might be after a rare bird ? Has anyone out there swapped just the gears to lower the final drive? I know everyone trys to raise it due to the stock gearing.

Thanks Ed

Old December 8th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
in thinking about this, it would be easier to find the 4.7 gears. that would give you much better off-road performance. and you can get rid of the weak factory 3.54 rover r&p in the front. while you are at it, have the diff pegged.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
in thinking about this, it would be easier to find the 4.7 gears. that would give you much better off-road performance. and you can get rid of the weak factory 3.54 rover r&p in the front. while you are at it, have the diff pegged.

So the 3.54 gears are weaker than the 4.7s in a rover? I maybe on the wrong track then I have allways thought the lower the ratio the weaker the gear set. I have the 4.7 front but would need to source the 4.7s for the sals.

So I need to do a little more research on the gear strenghts and weaknesses of rover axles.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers Ed

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Get the good aftermarket 4.7s for the front. They will be stronger than the factory 3.5s. Use the factory 4.7gear set for the rear. No need to worry about the factory salisbury gears AFAIK.

ratio has less to do with it than toothe **** and profile. at least that is my understanding.

what size tires are you planning to run?

Quote:
So the 3.54 gears are weaker than the 4.7s in a rover? I maybe on the wrong track then I have allways thought the lower the ratio the weaker the gear set. I have the 4.7 front but would need to source the 4.7s for the sals.

So I need to do a little more research on the gear strenghts and weaknesses of rover axles.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers Ed
------ Follow up post added December 8th, 2011 02:26 PM ------

holy typo batman...

TOOTH COUNT
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
That was quite a typo, DB.
Old February 25th, 2013, 06:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Digging up an old thread here.

As part of my EV build I am looking to go direct drive to the transfer case and this 1 Ton 109 transfer case with 4.7 gears in the diffs would give me a final ratio of 7.19:1 which is damn near perfect for my needs.

So how hard are these to find? 445 sounds like a pretty low number but I'd love to get my hands on one.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Series

1 Ton

The 1 Ton 109" - produced from 1968 to approx 1977, covering late IIA and early series III Models. It was basically a Series IIB Forward Control built with a standard 109" body, featuring 2.6 litre petrol engine, lower ratio gearbox, ENV front and rear axles, (Salisbury front and rear on later Series IIIs) though some late IIAs were fitted with ENV axles in front and Salisbury on the rear. The chassis frame was unique to the model and featured drop-shackle suspension similar to the military series Land Rovers. 900x16 tyres were a standard feature and these machines were commonly used by utility companies and breakdown/recovery firms. Only 170 IIa and 275 (approx) Series IIIs (1 Ton) were built for the home market.
[edit]
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:07 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

KAM ratios

KAM in UK offers a 3.8 gear ratio among others.
They have ones for both the salisbury and the stock banjo style units.
That may give you what you're looking for.

Good info from Dave (including the typo).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:22 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hey Robert

With a standard series transfer case (high ratio 1.15:1) I would need 6.2 gears in the diffs to get this ratio (1.15x6.2=7.13)

Good thinking though. I have tried all the common combinations I can think of, but feel pretty certain I need a series transfer case in high range so it's just rear wheel drive normally and I want to get a 7:1 or at most an 8:1 final ratio. One of these one ton's would do it!
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:35 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

3.8 with OM617 series...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Hey Robert

With a standard series transfer case (high ratio 1.15:1) I would need 6.2 gears in the diffs to get this ratio (1.15x6.2=7.13)

Good thinking though. I have tried all the common combinations I can think of, but feel pretty certain I need a series transfer case in high range so it's just rear wheel drive normally and I want to get a 7:1 or at most an 8:1 final ratio. One of these one ton's would do it!
Oh, was thinking the 3.8 ratio might complement the standard series transfer case with the OM617 in high range that Ed asked about. The 3.8 was a good match for the 3.0 liter GM 4 cylinder I built for years so thought it wold be a good match for the OM617 because the performance is similar with the exception of being slightly slower off the line until the turbo spins up.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old February 25th, 2013, 08:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sorry it was probably a bad idea to piggy back off this thread. The 1.53:1 gears are exactly what i was looking for when searching. I'll start a new thread to see if anyone has a 1 ton transfer case
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:26 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

No Problem

Not a problem... with multiple posts, it's sometimes hard to follow exactly what "path" the thread has taken and if a reply is to the last post or an earlier post.

Over the weekend I stated a scenario backwards under misc chit chat and had to explain my mistake twice before it caught on, so it sure does happen... am always careful about too much "high jacking", but am guilty as most of us myself, so no worries!

Old February 25th, 2013, 09:57 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Don't worry about high jacking this thread, I have my OM617 done and running down the road.

I went with the 4.75s a 255/85/16 tires and a over drive to try and help with low power before turbo spool.

I found myself useing low range on the real hilly areas as even with 4.75s it was hard to get my 6200 lb 109 moving.

Ed

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Alaskantinbender
jim
63 series 2A 109 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Don't worry about high jacking this thread, I have my OM617 done and running down the road.

I went with the 4.75s a 255/85/16 tires and a over drive to try and help with low power before turbo spool.

I found myself useing low range on the real hilly areas as even with 4.75s it was hard to get my 6200 lb 109 moving.

Ed

Hello ed.

Have you tried a rolling shift of the transfer case from low range to high? It might not be a good idea to even try.
I have that ashcroft high ratio T case that I'm trying to get used to.
1st gear in high range is just a little high to get rolling sometimes. Its great cruising on the highway at 60 to 65 though.

regards

Jim
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

How about a 1.6 LT230 and the AVM part time 4wd kit for it with an LT77? You are using a range rover frame so this will bolt in.
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:51 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskantinbender View Post
Hello ed.

Have you tried a rolling shift of the transfer case from low range to high? It might not be a good idea to even try.
I have that ashcroft high ratio T case that I'm trying to get used to.
1st gear in high range is just a little high to get rolling sometimes. Its great cruising on the highway at 60 to 65 though.

regards

Jim

Hey Jim

I Have done a low to high range shift but a very low speed under 5 mph and it falls right in. The ashcroft T-case is a bit much I feel for a heavy rig with low HP. I think they work well in a 88 due to its light weight.

I did manage to find a suffix B transfer case with the larger inter. shaft with the 2.89.1 low range .

Jim thats a nice 109 you bought I talked to the owner 4-5 months ago and sounds like he has poured some time and money into it.

Look me up sometime im whatif on MAT-SU OHV and Alaska 4x4 network.

Cheers Ed

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Thanks. I browsed your build thread on Expo - nicely done!

I have a question for you on it though. Do you have any good side profile pictures? I noticed you stretched your wheelbase to 110 and would like to see how it looks. I will be doing the opposite (shrinking 1") and think this might be a fair comparison of the 1" difference.

thanks,
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions