T-Case gear ratios 1.53:1 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Ron I think you are on to something here.

But first, we can leave the LT77 out of it - the whole idea is to skip the transmission. If I wasn't skipping the transmission then getting this right wouldn't be that important - I could use the gears to pick the best ratio while driving

I had no idea the was a part time 4wd kit for the LT230. And a 1.6 and 4.7 gears in the diffs gets me a 7.8:1 ratio which may just work (I need to noodle this some).

What I like about this plan is I could even do it in two phases as well if I wanted to - phase 1 would be just use a 1.6 LT230, and phase 2 would be to convert to part time 4wd and add the freewheeling hubs once I know the ratios are good and I feel like I need the improved efficiency.

As I was looking up the part time kit, I saw people mention that doing this can cause more stress on the transfer case and rear diff with reduced handling and minimal fuel economy gains so it's got me wondering how big of a difference running 2wd would make anyway?

I'm assuming an LT230 is quieter than a series transfer case too.

Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
How about a 1.6 LT230 and the AVM part time 4wd kit for it with an LT77? You are using a range rover frame so this will bolt in.

Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Yup to all points. Since you are running RRC axles, I would run without the part time kit. You should be able to get a 1.6 lt230 cheap enough as people pull them to run 1.4 or 1.2 with tdi and V8. They came in four cylinder NA diesel 110s. Robert Davis just mentioned pulling his out and he is in Virginia. It would be quieter and stronger and other than a front driveshaft (any NAS disco 1 or d90 and 87-88 RRC will fit) and one mount (maybe I forget it could be the trans mount that is different) it will bolt into your LWB chassis and allow you to reuse your stock rear lwb driveshaft assuming you are not stretching the wheelbase.

*not legal advice*
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:27 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Thanks. I browsed your build thread on Expo - nicely done!

I have a question for you on it though. Do you have any good side profile pictures? I noticed you stretched your wheelbase to 110 and would like to see how it looks. I will be doing the opposite (shrinking 1") and think this might be a fair comparison of the 1" difference.

Charles thanks

I really don't have any good side photos so here is what I have, Notice me under the rig not even 4 hours into the trip!! new master cylinder failed, had a pore or a pit in the bore caused it to pick up air after about the 30th clutch cycle.

I moved the rear axle back 1" to center it in the wheel well, I never liked the look of the series rear wheel well.

I did move the front axle a 1/2 forward to help with the oil pan clearance, If you need any other pics let me know and Ill get them for you.

Cheers Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3625.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	67083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3440.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	67084  

Click image for larger version

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	67085   Click image for larger version

Name:	176.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	67086  

95 D90 SW 4.6 ARBs 8274 37" BFGs Gigglepin twin motor 8274
94 D90 ST R380 constine green stock
85 D110 3.5 3 DR
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions