Steering geometry question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2010, 10:46 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Steering geometry question

Hey all

Does anyone know the camber angle of coiler swivel pins? I'm trying to make a high steering set up for my soa swap on my 88". I'm using 95 rrc axles and think I will be able to use series steering arms and bolt them on top of the rrc swivel housing.

I need to do some geometry to get the arms in the correct place.

Any info appreciated.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
It will take some doing to get them bolted up as the series arm uses a four bolt pattern vs the two bolt pattern of the coiler setup. Also I think the pins are a different size. Though I suppose if you have the first problem licked then pressing in a different pin shouldn't be much of an issue.

You could try to get a set of the pendant style arms from the series II, but you will find they put the tie rod and drag link in more or less the same place as the later style.

So, are you going to put the steering arm on upside down? The taper will going the wrong way then. Wouldn't it be easier to just fab up a new arm? That certainly has been done more than a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
Hey all

Does anyone know the camber angle of coiler swivel pins? I'm trying to make a high steering set up for my soa swap on my 88". I'm using 95 rrc axles and think I will be able to use series steering arms and bolt them on top of the rrc swivel housing.

I need to do some geometry to get the arms in the correct place.

Any info appreciated.

Daniel
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hey there

I'm actually intending to use the arms right side up. The plan is to weld up the holes on the series arms and re drill them to the pattern of the top coiler swivel pin and bolt them over the swivel pin. I will also mahine off the pins on the series arms. They are exactly the height I need to get my track rod and drag link over the springs and I believe are very close to the Ackerman geometry I'd need. I just want to confirm on paper where the track rod ends need to be and then drill my mounting hole in the right place. I will also reinforce the arms. If all else fails I will just make some or pay someone to make them.

Thanks.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Had to look up ackerman geometry. Based on the observation that LR doesn't change the geometry at all between various wheelbases, it isn't that precise of an art form. So probably just putting them on to replicate the angle of the factory coiler geometry would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
Hey there

I'm actually intending to use the arms right side up. The plan is to weld up the holes on the series arms and re drill them to the pattern of the top coiler swivel pin and bolt them over the swivel pin. I will also mahine off the pins on the series arms. They are exactly the height I need to get my track rod and drag link over the springs and I believe are very close to the Ackerman geometry I'd need. I just want to confirm on paper where the track rod ends need to be and then drill my mounting hole in the right place. I will also reinforce the arms. If all else fails I will just make some or pay someone to make them.

Thanks.

Daniel
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I hope you are planning on adding some additional bolts to the coiler swivel housing. It's pretty marginal using two 10MM bolts to take the forces of the steering.

Just my $.2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:56 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Thanks for the input. I haven't figured out this part yet but do intend to reinforce the arms so they have more than just the two bolts. I was thinking of adding some steel that will go from the arms straight down and attach to the steering stop bolt. I will look in to adding more bolt holes at the top also.

Thanks again.

Daniel
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:33 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

how would a soa using defender axles and power steering gear box work out??
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hopefully its going to work well! I'm copying stuff that Timm Cooper has done before many times and he has been very generous with advice along the way, so I'm fairly confident. The spring over part of the job is done. Now I just need to work out my steering, shocks, brakes, and engine. Im using a p38 steering box.

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/n...roverfront.jpg

Daniel
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

you mentioned using the series steering arms why not use whats on the rrc axles already?
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
I want the track rod and drag link to be above the springs for protection. I've been doing some more measuring this afternoon and I think the series arms aren't going fit behind stock series wheels. I intend to use a set of jackman wheels on this rig with 35"s, but probably want to come up with something that will fit behind either set of wheels.

Back to the drawing board.

Daniel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions