SIIA transfer case water ingress - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2010, 02:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
SIIA transfer case water ingress

I changed the fluids on my SIIA for the first time last night and the transfer case oil was very milky. I am hoping it's just from a recent power washing, but am wondering how the water got in there. I have not driven it in any water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I have not driven it in any water.
Maybe the P.O. did.
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I'll ask him. But lets say it was driven in deep water - where could it enter from? I seems to have a decent leak on the front output shaft seal - can water come in the seals that easily? I don't know how much water it takes to make the oil milky, but it was very white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2010, 02:33 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

I could be wrong about this, but isn't there a vent on top of the case?
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
could enter through the breather in the top of the gearbox, or anywhere seal or gasket that is not making a good seal. without the raised breathers as on the later vehicles, the series gearcases do tend to take on water.

water from powerwashing that does get inside (and it does) typically does not tend to emulsify unless you run the vehicle. In my experience small amounts of water like that can often be drained just by cracking the drain plug enough to let the water out. Since it is heavier than the oil it will sit at the bottom.

Quote:
I'll ask him. But lets say it was driven in deep water - where could it enter from? I seems to have a decent leak on the front output shaft seal - can water come in the seals that easily? I don't know how much water it takes to make the oil milky, but it was very white.
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:43 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok I'll check the breather and it's likely from the power washing. I have run it since the powerwashing - maybe a tank or gas or so. I'll keep an eye on it via the filler plug.

Another related question - I noticed after filling the diffs that there are also plugs on the 3rd member (i used the plugs on the housing). The ones on the 3rd member might be slightly higher - should I be using those?

Oh I guess one more. Is using one-shot grease in the swivels common for series trucks? I was a bit surprised to find it instead of oil.
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
my understanding is that you are supposed to use the fill plug on the housing for the front diff. And on the 3rd member for the rear diff. I never had a rover rear axle on a series truck that came with a fill plug on the diff housing. they were all on the 3rd member. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

one shot seems to have gained a following. a bandwagon I have yet to jump on. seem like its better to use that than to use oil and have it all drain out after a week or so.

Quote:
Ok I'll check the breather and it's likely from the power washing. I have run it since the powerwashing - maybe a tank or gas or so. I'll keep an eye on it via the filler plug.

Another related question - I noticed after filling the diffs that there are also plugs on the 3rd member (i used the plugs on the housing). The ones on the 3rd member might be slightly higher - should I be using those?

Oh I guess one more. Is using one-shot grease in the swivels common for series trucks? I was a bit surprised to find it instead of oil.
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ren is right on all points. Not that really needs to be confirmed.
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yup, Bobi knows his Series stuff for sure.

It looks like the rear diff cover has been replaced so that explains why it has a fill plug there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case, water