series v8 build help - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old July 6th, 2010, 06:49 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
He has a short shaft R380, not the V8 R380. I think it should fit (V8 R380 would require the defender front end). The V8 and the short shaft R380 with the adaptors is not much longer than the stock drivetrain.

Ron
I got that from the start. Trust me that combination is quite a bit longer than stock. The 2.25 with the short bellhousing R380 is 4" longer than stock. I can't remember how much longer the V8 is than the 2.25 but if the bellhousing mating surface remains the constant the Radiator will need to be moved forward pretty much as far as it can be,(in the Series housing), and the t-case will need to be moved back 4". Thats from doing it, not thinking about it. No need for the Defender front end but a later IIA or SIII front end is very helpfull if you like to retain mechanical fan. If IIA front end is used the headlights will eat up a little room and you may have to go electric.
There are a couple of other issues also like having to angle the t-case a bit more toward the rear diff as the rear driveshaft becomes very short and even with a high angle UJ (not to be confused with the double cardan that will not help here) the angles become somewhat less than ideal. Also the motor will need to be checked for clearance with the sump / crankshaft pulley. I think moving the motor up about an inch over where Milner's adapter kit mountings locate it is safer.

I'll measure all the bits today if I remember and get some actual numbers for length.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

oh i should mention that i will be relocating the range rover engine mounts or using custom mounts instead of the relocation type mounts in the kit. i figure it will be easier to adress placement and exhaust issues this way. if you have any input on this part of the project im all ears. you guys make rover life alot easier, with your advice and knowledge.
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Just to add to the semi usefull knowledge base

4cyl 2.25l petrol, clutch housing face to front of 4 blade fan = 28.75 inches
SII transmission = 16.25
SII T- case from split to face of rear output flange= 10.50
R380 (short bellhousing) = 19.375
LT 230 from split to face of rear output= 11.625
V8 3.9 l from rear of block to face of viscous unit and fan= 31.75
R380 to SIIA T-case adaptor= .625
V8 to 4 cyl adaptor= 1.0625

total length standard SIIA drivetrain = 55.50
4 cyl 2.25l + R380 + adaptor + SIIA T case= 59.25 (+3.75)
8cyl 3.9l + adaptor + R380 + adaptor + SIIA t-case 63.3125 (+ 7.8125)

Measurements for comparison and discussion only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2010, 09:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

One other tidbit, it you run into room with the headlight buckets, the new bucketless set up sold by land rover is only ~1.5in deep so you can get as close to the front as the headlight with connector will permit.
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

sweet. That extra inch will get you in past the used part.

Had not heard of the "new bucketless" version yet. Might make a big change for some jobs. Part #?..........figures that I just bought a pile of the plastic, what must now be the old version.

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I will look for the PNs when I get home. The bags from the are still in my living room.

The plastic you mean WIPACs? God I hated installing those things. Fine -- perfect for series but making them fit a defender is a bit of work.
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

its good having you guys around. wondering if you could help me with a ride height issue. right now my truck runs on a set of parabolic leafs and roughly 31.5 inch tires (265/75/16).

i would like to run on the same size or slightly taller tires. would the stock springs from the rrc(1988) support this tall of a tire or would i need to get taller coil springs?

just incase i havent been clear im putting the rrc axles on my s2a chassis.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij

STC1613 for the bucketless bucket. There are hardware kits but they are just the normal stuff and RN wants $16 each! $32 down the drain for those. The buckets were ~$20 each (funny how the reasonably priced stuff I don't remember, but when I spend $16 for a few screws and clips I remember!).

Ron

PS stock RRC springs should be close to fitting those, but if you have a coil chassis with coil axles, I would run 5in SI - early SIIa wheels and 7.50 x 16s so they tuck and don't stick out from the fenders.
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:33 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

getting real close to the suspension set up being done. as far as the trans tunnel go would a defender tunnel work in this situation?
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:47 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I dont know why not, but if you are using the Series T-Case you can modify the Series tunnel a bit and it will all fit in there. If using the Lt230 an early 110 tunnel will work very well. With any Defender substitution you will also need to modify, or obtain the parts that connect to the firewall and seatbox.

Old July 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
I dont know why not, but if you are using the Series T-Case you can modify the Series tunnel a bit and it will all fit in there. If using the Lt230 an early 110 tunnel will work very well. With any Defender substitution you will also need to modify, or obtain the parts that connect to the firewall and seatbox.
Biggest issue is where he puts the transmission. If he moves it back, the shifter moves back too. Especially an issue if he uses an LT230.
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

If the transmission is moved back (4") the shifter will be in the right spot. If a Series T-case is used the lincage mounts need to be extended (4"). If an LT230 is used a DII cable shifter will be usefull.

Old July 18th, 2010, 10:11 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

working on the bulkhead

strarted stripping the bulkhead this weekend needs some attention but not too bad.

i was lucky enough to have two experts show up to help me. my two little step daughters handed me the various scrapers involved in removing about 4 layers of paint. thank you girls for being so sweet.

i figure another day or two of paint removal and off the the body shop for the needed alterations.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series, v8