series rear axle housing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:06 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

series rear axle housing

i was thinking of redoing my rear axle housing with new seals bearing etc. and powder coating it along with the brake pieces. since i couldnt seem to get rid of it like it is. would there be any interest in this after i rebuild and make it look all pretty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Larry, I would not waste my time or money powdercoating it. Black paint is best for axle housings. Most people don't need one as they are quite robust. Occasionlaly though someone will bend one or one will rust through. Also nice to have if one wants to do a toyota conversion or similar without alot fo downtime for the vehicle. Hang onto it, someone will need one eventually. I usually end up giving them away if i really want to get rid of them as they are not exactly rare, and are difficult to ship. BTW, is this for an 88 or a 109?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionpco View Post
i was thinking of redoing my rear axle housing with new seals bearing etc. and powder coating it along with the brake pieces. since i couldnt seem to get rid of it like it is. would there be any interest in this after i rebuild and make it look all pretty.
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

it is off of a 88' though maybe it would appeal to some one if a re-did all the seals and stuff. im just one of those guys who doesnt have storage space and i will you tell after tearing down a burnt d-90 and one rrc its easy to end up with a large amount of good parts. im looking at another d-90 to part out. i seem to have a problem watching them sit and rot. when ever i find one thats being left out to suffer its like finding a stray puppy that needs a home. and im thinking of rebuilding a few here and there to sell. i love the idea of building one or two hybrids a year to sell. let me know if this doesnt sound sane. it looks like for what i have seen hybrids sell for i could build a v8/5speed/coiler using a freshly rebuilt v8& trans and gone over disco axles. and if i work this chassis stuff out it seems like a winner. i have the fab/metal coating process in the bag. while i have rebuilt many engines i believe i would use d&d fab to supply the engine (love that guy, great engine man) and ashcroft trans.... now comes the chassis if i am able to do the chassis part right it solves so many problems ie power steering suspension and the crossmember placement etc. i am not wanting a a full time enterprise, but i few extra dollars a year doing stuff i like. sad to admit it but i make a better income wearing a shirt and tie rather then gloves and jeans even though i feel right at home with grease smeared across my face. boy do i ramble. thanks for all your input guys who knew buying a rover was a first class ticket into a great group of people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2010, 06:45 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hey there

If you get the chassis stuff going you might consider setting it up to accept a p38 steering box instead if d90 box. Just my thoughts. Hope this happens.

Thanks

Daniel
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

explain the steering box difference. i havent seen a p38 box yet.
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
P38 box does not require moving the front crossmember of the series chassis as it mounts outboard of the chassis rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionpco View Post
explain the steering box difference. i havent seen a p38 box yet.
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Ren is correct. It bolts to the outside of the chassis and the box would sit just above the frame rail. I hope to have mine installed on the 88" in the very near future and will post pics when that happens. I have a piece of 1/2" plate that I will drill and tap. It will be welded to the outside of the frame and the box will bolt to it. I have pics somewhere of a few p38 installs done by Timm Cooper that I can post too If you are making a custom chassis I would think it would be relatively easy to accommodate this box.

Daniel
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

anyone have a p38 box that i could purchase so i can mock up chassis to fit that stayle. im stuck with 2 defender boxes.

p.s. will the defender axles work with the p38 box?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, series