Series Information Crash Course - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2008, 11:48 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Series Information Crash Course

I have been trying to learn more about Series trucks and was hoping that you guys had links/info for me. I am looking into the history of them, the difference between the models, features (or lack thereof), etc.

I am considering getting one and want to udnerstand more about them before I start looking.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2008, 11:50 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

The whole LR FAQ website has great information, here's a good spot to begin with vehicle identification- http://www.lrfaq.org/FAQ.2.main.html ..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There is plenty of good information printed on dead trees, I guess a thread of LR book reviews would be really worthwhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

I agree with Ryan and would also add the following site:

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

Teri-Ann, over the years, has compiled a good set of info on stock rover parts as well as modifications
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
I have been trying to learn more about Series trucks and was hoping that you guys had links/info for me. I am looking into the history of them, the difference between the models, features (or lack thereof), etc.

I am considering getting one and want to udnerstand more about them before I start looking.

Thanks,
Alex
Just get the history of Land Rover. Rovers North and Amazon carry it. aGoes from inception to early 90's I think.

EwS
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

having owned and restored a 67 Series IIa, I'll give you my crash course... the series III offered a more contemporary configuration in terms of lights mounted on the fenders (the IIa had them mounted on the radiator bulkhead which made for night time visibility issues), fully synchro trans, and a 12v electrical system with negative ground. Any Series truck before that had no synchro in first gear and although that's not a big deal, it can be a consideration for some. Also, it's tough to keep up with traffic with the engines that were in them, plus they had drum brakes all around...plus leaf springs...the more you look at them (if you want to run errands with the truck or take it to work and so on) the more you realize a Defender makes the most sense in modern street and xway traffic (to my mind). In addition to being so slow you create a crowd of irrate boy racers behind you the petrol 4 banger doesn't get great mileage...I think I was getting around 12mpg...in short, all reasons why I decided on a D-90...That being said, they're lots of fun and easy as pie to work on...for off road and reasonable local errands they're a cheap way to get into a Rover...others use them all the time and I salute them, I just decided not to.
hope this helps
George
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

I've owned and driven a Series IIa for about 11 years and have no complaints. It does lack sycrhos on first and second gear but it's relatively easy to get used to with a good "double clutch" shifting technique. If kept in good operating condition it's a fine daily driver but then again my daily commute is pretty short and does not include any major high speed roads. Simple, easy to maintain, and very reliable, but it's also noisy, rides like an old leaf spring truck (surprise), and is no speed demon. I used to drive an old diesel VW Rabbit so I was already used to speed thing. I prefer the looks of the early IIa trucks with the headlights in the breakfast but that a personal thing.
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:13 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Series Trucks

I have had a Series II 88" as a daily driver for many years. I would recommend a mid to late Series IIA. Parts are most readily available.
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Oh, and one final piece of info to consider the vehicles need leaded petrol due to the valve train not being able to use unleaded gas...so, unless the head has been upgraded you won't be able to just pull up to any gas pump with out having a bottle of additive (don't know if they even still sell that kind of thing anymore)...
George
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
...you won't be able to just pull up to any gas pump with out having a bottle of additive (don't know if they even still sell that kind of thing anymore)...
George
Yes; they still do. (on the West Coast, anyway - don't know about parts east....)
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Oh, and one final piece of info to consider the vehicles need leaded petrol due to the valve train not being able to use unleaded gas...so, unless the head has been upgraded you won't be able to just pull up to any gas pump with out having a bottle of additive (don't know if they even still sell that kind of thing anymore)...
George
Its readily available. My local gas station has it. Most have already been converted to run on unleaded. It's the valves, not the head that need changing. Stellite are the ones you need to look for. But at that point it's easier to consider doing a head job while your their.

EwS
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:47 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
George
They run just fine on unleaded. And there's no need to make a special effort to install valve seats. Just drive it until it needs them, and then do it. They'll go for a long time on unleaded petrol. People flip out because leaded isn't available (there was a ton of frantic people worry about their rovers when leaded petrol was taken off the market).

As for slow, I cruised along at 60-70 all day in my Air Portable when it was a 2.25 petrol.
109's are more sluggish.
Series rovers were my daily drivers from '74 to 2001..I never had an issue with them driving like trucks.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series