Series III - Won't shift in to any gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:07 AM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

Series III - Won't shift in to any gears

I have a Series III that has been a great runner the past 3 years. Today I went to take it for a drive and got a block from my house and wasn't able to shift it. Won't drive forward or reverse. Had to push it back home.

Checked the clutch fluid reservoir and it was full. Looked underneath and didn't see anything obviously disconnected

I need help from the forum to figure out where I should start the troubleshooting process to identify the problem.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2016, 11:15 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Can't tell what is happening with your vehicle by the poor description.
Saying it won't shift means you can't move the gear shift leaver to put it in any gear and not sure that's what's happening.
How do you expect help when you don't accurately describe the symptoms?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2016, 12:11 PM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

Thanks Robert.

I just went out to troubleshoot to provide the forum with more details.

All troubleshooting was done at the side of my house. I didn't want to get too far and have to push it home.

1. As recently as yesterday it used to shift into gear (1st, 2nd, 3rd...) very easily. Now I need to let the clutch up and work the main gear lever into first gear.
2. The vehicle will move forward with the transfer gear lever (red) forward (high) and backwards (low).
3. The vehicle will not move backwards while in reverse with the transfer gear lever (red) in forward (high) or backwards (low). Feels like the rear brakes are preventing it from moving. The vehicle shifts into reverse but won't move even with the RPMs high.
4. Pulling the transfer gear lever (red) back and then forward does not appear to release the 4-wheel drive control lever (yellow). It stays down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2016, 07:35 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Much better, J.
If it's an 88 try the following and report back, please.
Put it in neutral main gearbox and T case.
Then can you push the vehicle backwards? yes or no.
Did you recently add new rear brake shoes?
If it's a 109, let us know...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old July 24th, 2016, 09:29 AM
LRColorado
John
1973 Series III (Petrol)

Registry
Could it be a seized transmission brake?
Old July 24th, 2016, 10:17 AM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

It is an 88
Yes, it rolls backwards with it in neutral main gearbox and neutral T case
I haven't touched the brakes since purchasing the vehicle 3 yrs ago
I thought it could be the transmission brake (hand brake) so hit the drum a few times with a hammer and backed off the square adjustment bolt and no affect. The vehicle will roll backwards a foot to 3 feet then stops abruptly. Maybe I need to take off the prop and see what might be amiss with the transmission brake's pads, springs, etc. All the linkage looks okay when move the hand brake and observe it from below the truck and from through the driver's seat opening.
Old July 24th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

You pushed it home but now it only moves one to three feet before it stops abruptly. Three feet would be almost half a revolution of a tire which would be about two revolutions of the driveshaft and park brake. I doubt it is the park brake or driveshaft. Could be a broken Axel with something jamming after half a revolution.
The first description about it not getting any movement in any gear was poor but didn't rule out a broken drive shaft.
Old July 24th, 2016, 06:39 PM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

Hi Greg,
It will drive forward. I only have the issue in reverse.

When driving the vehicle forward, I am driving forward 15 ft, not a great distance. When I put it in reverse it will roll back a foot or two, but then stop abruptly. If after attempting driving it in reverse once I try a second time, it won't move an inch backwards. It feels like I have a rock behind the tires and wont move in reverse at all.

Do you still think the axle could be the issue?
Old July 25th, 2016, 05:48 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Why not pull the axles and troubleshoot your truck for the obvious stuff. Good practice for trail fixes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 25th, 2016, 10:25 AM
RFD110
Rob Dennis
D90, D90, D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesIII View Post
Hi Greg,
It will drive forward. I only have the issue in reverse.

When driving the vehicle forward, I am driving forward 15 ft, not a great distance. When I put it in reverse it will roll back a foot or two, but then stop abruptly. If after attempting driving it in reverse once I try a second time, it won't move an inch backwards. It feels like I have a rock behind the tires and wont move in reverse at all.

Do you still think the axle could be the issue?
Sounds like the parking brake shoe may be loose and binding. Or possibly a brake shoe on the wheel. I have had this happen before with the parking brake.

You might try putting the transfer in neutral and then try using the gearbox in forward and reverse to see if it seems to work properly without the rest of the drivetrain disconnected.
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:10 AM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

Is there a quick test to see if a half shaft is broken before pulling it out to look at it?
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:34 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Is this correct?
88 will shift into all gears.
Will drive forward.
When in reverse it will move backwards some of the time for a short distance and other times not at all.

Old July 25th, 2016, 11:48 AM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

- 88 - Yes

- will shift into all gears. - Yes, but I have only driven it forward in first because I need to put it in neutral and push it pack to where I park it.

- Will drive forward. - Yes, but I have only driven it 15+ feet forward.

-When in reverse it will move backwards some of the time for a short distance and other times not at all. - No, it wont move backwards when it is in reverse. Feels like it has wheel chocks behind the wheels. I can get it to roll backwards one to 2 feet before it comes to a dead stop.
Old July 25th, 2016, 12:29 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Check the rear brake shoes.
There is the chance that the trailing shoe is hanging on the drum when moving backwards.
Recently had a similar issue with an 88 and adding a second return spring solved the issue.

Old July 25th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Check the rear brake shoes.
There is the chance that the shoe is hanging on the drum when moving backwards.
Recently had a similar issue with an 88 and adding a second return spring solved the issue.

x2

I was going to type the same thing.......I literally just had a very similar issue.
Old July 29th, 2016, 09:12 AM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

Update:

I pulled off both rear tires and drums and didn't see any obvious issues with the pads, springs, etc.

I jacked up each of the rear wheels independent of one another, so the opposite rear wheel was on the ground. I put the vehicle's transfer case and main gear lever in neutral. Released the hand brake/transmission brake. The wheel spun in reverse randomly.

Here are two YouTube videos I took of the wheels seizing up.

I think the issue is with the transmission brake. Thoughts?

Sorry for the poor video quality and the wind in the mic.

v=sPzSWTOMsDA

Old July 29th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

That is so strange.
As others have said, lets pull the driveshafts out and make sure they are still in one piece. If so, time to drain the rear diff. If no metal chunks from rear diff, I think you've cleared the rear end of blame (unless you want to open it up anyway for a look see).
So its time to drain the Transfer box and hunt for metal chunks.
Old July 29th, 2016, 10:38 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I still think it's the rear brakes.
Pulling drums and inspecting won'd do anything.
Read the post further up regarding the extra return spring before you rule out rear brakes.

Old July 29th, 2016, 10:46 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

You could pull the drive flanges off the rear wheels and rotate them, that way they are isolated from the rest of the drive train. If it still does it then the problem is as Robert has stated.
Old July 29th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Just leave the drums of to rule out the rear brakes.

If you think it is the parking brake, back off the adjuster.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series, series iii