Series III - Won't shift in to any gears - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2016, 10:48 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
After all that work!

Can you fill in more details? Like how would you trouble shoot this so it can be quickly found and avoid 2 1/2 months of down time?

Mike & Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesIII View Post
Just wanted to share an update. Turns out my issue was a 59 cent lock washer on the rear main shaft. Took 10 minutes to replace the washer and I am back on the road.
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:11 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
After all that work!

Can you fill in more details? Like how would you trouble shoot this so it can be quickly found and avoid 2 1/2 months of down time?

Mike & Carrie
It is a well known and common problem with Series gearboxes.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:23 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Not to sound argumentative, but if this problem is well known, why wasn't it brought up 2.5 months ago?

Carrie wants to buy a Series so I'm just trying to educate myself.

Mike & Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is a well known and common problem with Series gearboxes.
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:29 AM
SeriesIII
J
1973 Series III

I am learning so much from other more experienced Land Rover owners. Each project I get more insight on my vehicle.

I try to share updates, pics and videos so others can search the internet and find solutions to their problems.

I got to give credit to the guys on "Guns and Rovers" for identifying this solution.

My issue came on with no warning signs (noise, vibrations, etc.) so if your vehicle abruptly stops driving in reverse I would remove the middle seat of your Series so you can access the inspection plate. Unscrew the four nuts on the inspection plate of the transfer case and see if the nut has backed off and is pressed against the bearing housing.

Attached is...

1. Pic of the broken lock washer on my vehicle
2. Pic of the nut backed off of the main shaft. If after removing the inspection plate you see this you know your issue. I got this pic from Mark on Guns and Rovers. Wanted to share it because it clearly shows the nut pressed against the bearing housing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock washer.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	158881

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nut in the transfer case.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	158882

Quote:
After all that work!

Mike & Carrie
Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Not to sound argumentative, but if this problem is well known, why wasn't it brought up 2.5 months ago? Carrie wants to buy a Series so I'm just trying to educate myself. Mike & Carrie
He was given advice that would allow the cause to be isolated to which main component. Once it was shown to be the gearbox, step one would be to look at the mainshaft nut.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:45 PM
HAWKER748
Nick Wilson
Rapier 127

Registry
Excellent news! Well done..
Old October 2nd, 2016, 01:16 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Excellent summary! Exactly what I needed to know.

Mike &C arrie

Quote:
I am learning so much from other more experienced Land Rover owners. Each project I get more insight on my vehicle.

I try to share updates, pics and videos so others can search the internet and find solutions to their problems.

I got to give credit to the guys on "Guns and Rovers" for identifying this solution.

My issue came on with no warning signs (noise, vibrations, etc.) so if your vehicle abruptly stops driving in reverse I would remove the middle seat of your Series so you can access the inspection plate. Unscrew the four nuts on the inspection plate of the transfer case and see if the nut has backed off and is pressed against the bearing housing.

Attached is...

1. Pic of the broken lock washer on my vehicle
2. Pic of the nut backed off of the main shaft. If after removing the inspection plate you see this you know your issue. I got this pic from Mark on Guns and Rovers. Wanted to share it because it clearly shows the nut pressed against the bearing housing.

Attachment 158881

Attachment 158882
------ Follow up post added October 3rd, 2016 04:22 AM ------

One more 'how it works' question.

If this sudden "can't reverse" situation happens, will you harm anything by driving it home using only forward gears?

Thanks,

Mike & Carrie
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:55 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

To reiterate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Too many cooks in the kitchen.
When 10 people on the internet tell you to go in 10 different directions for diagnosis, it's easy for it to become a wild goose chase.
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:31 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Hi John,
Thanks for the followup interest. No, I am still troubleshooting.

My rear brake shoes and drums were oil soaked and very worn, so I replaced the drums, shoes, two springs and the wheel cylinder on each of the rear wheels. Didn't fix the problem, but feel good that the vehicle now has new rear brakes.

I think my next step will be to pull the rear axles to see how they look. Any other recommendations?
Did you repair the oil leak or are those just sacrificial parts? I can't tell you how many owner repaired brakes I replace every year because the actual problem (hub seals, loose wheel bearings) was never repaired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series, series iii