Series III Salisbury - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 17th, 2008, 08:28 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Series III Salisbury

I have put a mercedes 3.0L diesel in my series III and I was thinking of swaping the series axles for RRC axles but would like to keep the Salisbury from the series. I know the track is wider on the RRC axle front axle. The reason I am contemplating this swap is the 3.54s will be a better gearing situation for the low reving merc diesel plus I want to upgrade to disks. I am planning on keeping the leaf spring suspension and modifying the axles to take the leaf set up.

Can I change the stub axles on the salisbury so that it is the same width as the later RRC axles or would I be better of just swaping out the Salisbury for the rover type rear?
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Why not just re-gear your Series axles with 3.54 ring and pinions. Works for both the Rover type and the Salisbury rear. Re-gear the rear and drop in a used pre-1993 Range Rover front diff and you are done.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

If I put the RRC axles under the truck then I can go to the R380/zf4hp22 + LT230 set up if I want to (at a later date) plus I get the discs to boot. My series gearbox/Tcase is getting old and I can get a later version for cheaper than the series version (like $300).
Advertisement

Old December 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
or you can convert the lt230 to part time and put on a set of Tim Cooper's disc brakes. Autobox in a series?? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
If I put the RRC axles under the truck then I can go to the R380/zf4hp22 + LT230 set up if I want to (at a later date) plus I get the discs to boot. My series gearbox/Tcase is getting old and I can get a later version for cheaper than the series version (like $300).
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I have a 5 speed in my 110 and an autobox in my RRC. There are many wheeling situations where I find the clutch to be a pain in the rump. Like really steep uphill climbs, large rocks, any place where rolling backwards is not a good thing. Plus I am getting older and I like an auto gearbox when I am in line to pick up my son from school.
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yeah I've grown to like the autbox in the rr too. But I don't think I'd want one in a series. Oh well, its your truck!

Quote:
I have a 5 speed in my 110 and an autobox in my RRC. There are many wheeling situations where I find the clutch to be a pain in the rump. Like really steep uphill climbs, large rocks, any place where rolling backwards is not a good thing. Plus I am getting older and I like an auto gearbox when I am in line to pick up my son from school.
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

You can do Dsic's in the back of the 109 using parts off a RR (pre 89) axle. Hub's using FTC 3306 brackets for the calipers, the RRC calipers (there might be some bolt issues with the calipers might need to drill out the holes in the caliper) RRC hubs and Later Salisbury stubs (I should have some)

The only question would be axle length.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old December 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Keith,

This whole thing is snowballing out of control. I am now considering (daydreaming) modifying a 108" RR frame and doing the whole coil conversion and frame swap with a V8/zf/lt230 with the Series III body on top. In a few days I will probably come full circle and just drive it like it is. You know how it goes.
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Keith,

This whole thing is snowballing out of control. I am now considering (daydreaming) modifying a 108" RR frame and doing the whole coil conversion and frame swap with a V8/zf/lt230 with the Series III body on top. In a few days I will probably come full circle and just drive it like it is. You know how it goes.
Boy do I know that feeling!

I will refrain from further mind twisting outbursts. There are so many days I just want a clean 88" hard top in stock condition to just drive...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series, series iii