Series III Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM
CMS3900
Morgan
1974 SIII 109

Series III Questions

Hi all, My name is Morgan and I have been checking out the forum for the last couple of weeks and have run into a few questions I am having a hard time figureing out on my own.
I've posted this on LRonly and they said to come here.
I am in the middle of a body off resto/hybrid of a run of the mill Ex Mod Series III 109. What I am looking to do is turn it into a Series III 130 HCPU double cab or figure a way to put the SW B pillars on and then attach the 109 bed to them for a long bed wagon. I am figureing on making the hard top from scratch tropical style either way.
I have the parts books and the manuals but I need the experience from someone who knows more about how these are put together then me. to me it looks like if you took a 109 bed, drilled the spot welds from the panel that the striker plate is on and then respot the B pillar assembly on it. Then make a panel to fill the angled void in the B pillar assembly.

Any help would be great guys.

Morgan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Hey there:

Check out this truck on copart to get an idea of how they go together.

http://www.copart.com/c2/individualL...Type=onSaleNow

This link shows the double cab 110 parts. Notice the lower bulkhead piece to close up the sw bed below the rear truck cab glass.

http://www.safarirover.com/used-defe...rear-body.html

You would need to make your own roof that would attach to the series windscreen because I dont believe a series double cab roof was ever made by the factory. You would have to stretch your frame too obviously. Other than that and drive line issues you could mostly just buy parts and put it together.

Daniel
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
CMS3900
Morgan
1974 SIII 109

Thanks man, the Safarirover pic seems to think I am right about the spot welds. I am trying to dwindle my list of "essential" parts as small as I can get it. Im having a hell of a time finding any series sheetmetal in my area for a decent price. So it looks like just doors and the B pillars is all thats really nessesary. The floor and firewall can be braked out of sheet.
I had heard about the differences in tops, with people switching to defender style windscreens. The frame stretch will occur once I have sheetmetal to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM
CMS3900
Morgan
1974 SIII 109

Well sorta. This is what I've figured out.
The Tawayama safari truck is a modded crew cab. They basically used front doors to make the second row of seats bigger for more leg room, which is a option to me but..
I'm trying to make it like this pic from Dividing Creek Imports site. This is my first choice, the second being a normal 130 double cab with a separate bed, which seems to be as simple as getting the B pillars and making a sheet bulkhead from the back and robbing some of the galvanized top caps off my tub.

The way I see it a normal 110/109 CSW is basically a modified 90/88 tub but I don't know this for sure. From the picture it looks like its a 110/109 rear tub that has been modified and attached to the B pillars like these that safari rovers has for sale and then the rear bulkhead is removed.

I looked at my rovers tub and the piece of metal that the door striker and door weatherstrip is attached to is spot welded to the rear quarters. It seems that the wagon B pillar bit at the top of where it connects to the tub is made to replace it, then the angled panel bit fits in the bottom and completes the quarter. So theoretically I could remove the part on my 109 tub and put the SW B pillar part on it, remove the rear bulkhead and have the 130 wagon.

Keep in mind, I didn't make it all clear in the first post, I am mostly doing this because I need a bit more room for drive line length. I plan to use it for camping and daily driver use, so the wagon will probably more useful. That, and I could always leave the rear bulkhead in and make it a crew cab truck if I wanted too later.

Thanks,
Morgan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series, series iii