Series III Cam Timing ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 30th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Steve Bossong
1973 Series III 88 PU
Series III Cam Timing ...

Hi took apart my Series III motor to install a 2.5l cam and turner head ... I'm in re-assembly mode and am stuck on setting the cam timing. I've done my Series IIA a while back .... it has an inspection plate where I was able to set the crank to "Exhaust Peak" (via Flywheel markings) and easily match with the #1 exhaust cam lobe peak via my dial-indicator.

No such luck on my Seiries III. The Cam Sprocket has the two timing marks as indicated in the Haynes manual ... but those appear to set the cam at the peak of the exhaust stroke (Exhaust Vlave just closing .... Intake about to open). I've found a few links indictaing that the Haynes manual is wrong ....

Has anyone rebuilt/re-cam'ed a later 2.25 (without the flywheel inspection plate? Any tips on find "EP" ....

Thanks, Steve B.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

series, series iii