Defender Source Forum banner

Series III 109 SW conversion to a ST

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  evilfij 
#1 ·
My father owns a 109 Series III station wagon that is in great shape down in Florida. He recently visited me and loved the open air feel of my NAS ST and decided he wants to remove the hard top and install a canvas or surrey top for protection from the sun (melanoma survivor). Do you know if the windows on a Series III are removable? Are the doors two piece? Do they even make/sell two piece series III rear and front doors?

I figure he will need some sort of tailgate to replace the rear door as well as some sort of internal frame to support the canvas top.

Looking to keep the fabrication to a minimum, but I would think it would end up resembling a very crude ECR Beachrunner when all was said and done.

Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 ·
It is doable. Middle station doors that split are rare. But the sticks that you need for the canvas, gutter kit, and the canvas itself can be bought as a kit if you want. I think badger has a kit, and another in the UK does sell a kit named All Wheel Trim.

#3 ·
I believe there is a kit in the UK to make a 109SW a soft top. No cage, but I know I have seen one for a 110 and I believe they make one for a 109SW too.

Here is the 110 one:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/100.html

All you need is a tailgate to run the softtop (maybe some tie down stuff too). To run a tailgate on a 109SW you will probably need two brackets on the cross member ($12 from RDS each) and two antiluce pins ($11 from rovahfarm).

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.