Series II or Series III door hinges which ones to run - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2011, 01:58 AM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Series II or Series III door hinges which ones to run

Im putting togather a 67 Series 109 and am not going original on the build and was wondering if there was a reason i should switch to the later style hinges. I am running early Defender doors with roll up windows a 5cyl. Mercedes Turbo diesel etc. so not OG. Is there any reason other than looks to change to the later hinges ? . I am getting ready to buy hinge pin kits and mounting hardware and was thinking i would or could just buy the later hinges.

Thanks
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
III hinges:
Can use defender mirrors
Not rebuildable
Cause damage to door pillar if door opens too far
Modern 1970's appearance

IIa hinges:
More difficult to fit defender mirrors
But easier to fit early mirrors. SIII style mirrors give good functionality
Rebuildable
Do not damage door pillar
Quaint 1950's agrarian appearance.

Rebel

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
And, with take apart hinges, you can easily remove the doors.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
SIII hinges have less slop and hinge pins do not have to be periodically tightened. Nor have bronze bushings that need replacing. They give the door a more solid feel when you close them. I switched over about a year ago and am happy that I did.

Old December 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

In the summer I don't even bother fitting the spring, lock washer and nut on the SIIA style. It lets me remove or refit the doors in just a couple of minutes depending on the weather.
If you never, or rarely, remove your doors and keep the stop rod fitted, then the SIII type might be preferred.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The S2 hinges allow the door to open 180. Usually its not an issue, but if you use it for camping etc it is nice to be able to open the door all the way. From an aesthetic standpoint I like the industrial shaped-with-a-purpose look of the S2 hinges.

-Jeff

Thanks to everyone who awnsered, JSBriggs the 180 deg. to open door is something i over looked, I am setting this up as a camper and will need the rear doors to open over 90 degs. So looks like Ill be keeping the IIa hinges and rebuilding them.

When ordering the IIa rebuild kits is there any better than others rebuild kits? Some are proline some are allmakes etc.

Thanks Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old December 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post

When ordering the IIa rebuild kits is there any better than others rebuild kits? Some are proline some are allmakes etc.
Proline is The Rovers North generic house brand. Anything they buy that is not genuine Land Rover gets labeled as proline regardless of where RM purchases it from. Rovers North does buy from Allmakes. So it is possible that you are comparing Allmakes with Allmakes sold by Rovers North.

Old December 14th, 2011, 06:05 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
Proline is The Rovers North generic house brand. Anything they buy that is not genuine Land Rover gets labeled as proline regardless of where RM purchases it from. Rovers North does buy from Allmakes. So it is possible that you are comparing Allmakes with Allmakes sold by Rovers North.

Thanks TeriAnn

I wont be to concerned on which to buy if im not buying genuine

Hey TeriAnn

Im converting my 109 to a expo type camper and have spent alot of time on your page and its links. Im looking for a site or thread that has pics of what some have done to convert there 5 doors to a camper. Any help would be great.

Ed

Old December 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
Hey TeriAnn

Im converting my 109 to a expo type camper and have spent alot of time on your page and its links. Im looking for a site or thread that has pics of what some have done to convert there 5 doors to a camper. Any help would be great.

Ed
Not a whole lot of help there as my primary focus has been on 109 regular & dormobiles. The best non Dormobile or Carawagon 109 station wagon expedition conversion was done by Herbert Zipkin. I have a web page covering his truck.

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/G_HerbZipkin.htm

You might find some ideas in my Dormobile & Carawagon pages.

Most long distance travel set ups I have seen in 109 station wagons where people camped primarily inside included putting furniture across one or both rear doors.

It is important to first identify your needs. Like how many people would be camping. Do you do mostly base camp traveling or camp in a different location most nights? For base camp situations you are best off setting up camp outside. You might consider a side awning with detachable walls as a tent alternative. There is really no place for beds in a 109 station wagon that does not have a lifting top unless you remove the rear row of seats.

A nice set up would be a side awning with swing out arms as is common in South Africa. A chuck box that can hand on the side of the truck from the rain gutter, cots & a fold up table. A 109 size side awning provides a LOT more space than the inside of the truck and if your gear does not live inside the truck the truck remains versital of other uses. Just a thought. Even a 109 regular is very crowded for more than one person camping in back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BadgerKitchen.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	44780  

Old December 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Thanks TeriAnn

Ill check it out.

Ed

Old December 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

SII hinges and pack the bronze/brass ball with anti sieze.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
door, series, series iii