Defender Source Forum banner

Series I II IIa III Heystee disc brake conversion kit

19K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  TeriAnn 
#1 ·
Heystee Automotive Components conversion kit - Formally T.I. Console.
Pre-2010 disc brake conversion kits are based upon the disc brakes that come on the Spanish built Santana PS10 (Iveco Massif). The PS10 is basically a Land Rover clone so is in the same weight range as a Series LR. The brake calipers are made by Girling. The front disc brakes are a 2 piston vented system. The rear system has the same wheel hubs but slightly thinner discs (non ventilated) and smaller calipers. This is also a straight fit without modifications just like the front ventilated system.
A custom back plate is bolted onto the swivel housing in place of the drum brake back plate and the PS10 Girling brakes bolt to the plate. There are no grinding or modifications of existing components required. Wheel spacers are required to fit the Series wheel though
As the Santana (Massif) is not available in North America, North American's would need to source replacement parts directly from Heystee Automotive Components or an IVECO dealer. Santana has been taken over by IVECO and the Santana PS10 has been renamed the " IVECO Massif". Americans can usually have pads & rotors shipped by air to them from Europe in less than a week. Alternatively, if quick repairs are important, one can keep a backup set of pads and rotors on the shelf. IVECO has ceased production of the disc brake componets used in this conversion so this kit is NLA.

2010 and newer Heystee disc brake conversions have a new custom swivel housing and hub which allows the use of off the shelf Land Rover Defender disc brake components without an adaptor plate. When IVECO ceased production of the disc brakes for the Santana (Massif) Heystee Automotive set about developing a custom conversion that would make use of easily obtained Defender brake components. Fortunatly this kit allows North Americans to source consumable brake components locally.

"All parts mount onto the Series Land Rover axle without any modification or adaptors. All threads, seals and gaskets are identical to the original Land Rover units. The original wheels fit without any spacer or modification. With this system all maintenance parts are Land Rover, no need to source brake pads, caliper parts of odd-ball vehicles or modify "alien" rotor discs. Just contact your local Land Rover parts dealer when you need replacement." Quote from Heystee Automotive Components web site.​

Castings for the Heystee Automotive front disc brake conversion.
In the Heystee disc brake conversion kit you get the castings shown above, 2 venttilated Defender rotors, 2 Defender Calipers plus all the bolts and washers required to mount the rotors and calipers.​

:new Paul (owner of Heystee) is now taking pre orders for the next hub and swivel run, Place your orders now. Tell him Keven Kullberg sent you.
Thanks

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#3 ·
When you "borrow" a large chunk of one of my web pages I would appreciate a note saying what was borrowed and from whom. A link back to my site would be nice as well. :cool: I am glad to read that Paul is putting together another production run of his well designed high quality brake conversion.

If anyone is planning on doing a disc brake conversion but still has manual brakes, I am working on a major update on my power brake conversion web page. The current draft is on line. If anyone decides to get Paul's conversion kit you might look into the servo unit he offers as an upgrade to the Series III servo for even better braking.

Below is from my overview of available disc brake conversion for Series web page:

Heystee Automotive Components conversion kit - Formally T.I. Console.
Pre-2010 disc brake conversion kits are based upon the disc brakes that come on the Spanish built Santana PS10 (Iveco Massif). The PS10 is basically a Land Rover clone so is in the same weight range as a Series LR. The brake calipers are made by Girling. The front disc brakes are a 2 piston vented system. The rear system has the same wheel hubs but slightly thinner discs (non ventilated) and smaller calipers. This is also a straight fit without modifications just like the front ventilated system.
A custom back plate is bolted onto the swivel housing in place of the drum brake back plate and the PS10 Girling brakes bolt to the plate. There are no grinding or modifications of existing components required. Wheel spacers are required to fit the Series wheel though
As the Santana (Massif) is not available in North America, North American's would need to source replacement parts directly from Heystee Automotive Components or an IVECO dealer. Santana has been taken over by IVECO and the Santana PS10 has been renamed the " IVECO Massif". Americans can usually have pads & rotors shipped by air to them from Europe in less than a week. Alternatively, if quick repairs are important, one can keep a backup set of pads and rotors on the shelf. IVECO has ceased production of the disc brake componets used in this conversion so this kit is NLA.

2010 and newer Heystee disc brake conversions have a new custom swivel housing and hub which allows the use of off the shelf Land Rover Defender disc brake components without an adaptor plate. When IVECO ceased production of the disc brakes for the Santana (Massif) Heystee Automotive set about developing a custom conversion that would make use of easily obtained Defender brake components. Fortunatly this kit allows North Americans to source consumable brake components locally.

"All parts mount onto the Series Land Rover axle without any modification or adaptors. All threads, seals and gaskets are identical to the original Land Rover units. The original wheels fit without any spacer or modification. With this system all maintenance parts are Land Rover, no need to source brake pads, caliper parts of odd-ball vehicles or modify "alien" rotor discs. Just contact your local Land Rover parts dealer when you need replacement." Quote from Heystee Automotive Components web site.​

Castings for the Heystee Automotive front disc brake conversion.
In the Heystee disc brake conversion kit you get the castings shown above, 2 venttilated Defender rotors, 2 Defender Calipers plus all the bolts and washers required to mount the rotors and calipers.​

:new Paul (owner of Heystee) is now taking pre orders for the next hub and swivel run, Place your orders now.

#5 ·
Wow, since we are doing unsolicited advertising in TWO places...

I recommend buying our ROAM OFFROAD disc brake conversion (innovated by Timm Cooper) instead because it is the original conversion that uses off-the-shelf Land Rover Defender brake components. There is a reason our design is being knocked-off and that is because it works far better than any of the other brake conversions being produced. ROAM products are made in the USA under close supervision using the finest materials and manufacturing methods. Timm slowly evolved the design over 10 years to get it right where it is today. Our conversion is available for purchase right now and I'm happy to put you in touch with customers that have been happily using our brake conversion for years. Pre-orders are a suckers game - don't pay until products are available and ready to ship.

Dude, I hope Paul is giving you a free conversion for your efforts. ;o)

Thanks!

Brian

#9 ·
I recommend buying our ROAM OFFROAD disc brake conversion (innovated by Timm Cooper) instead because it is the original conversion that uses off-the-shelf Land Rover Defender brake components. There is a reason our design is being knocked-off and that is because it works far better than any of the other brake conversions being produced.
I hate this when I know and like all parties involved. But Brian I think you are being a little harsh on Paul. Granted, Timm's design evolved from using Wilwood brake parts to using Land Rover brake parts before Paul switched from Santana disc brake parts to using Land Rover disc brake parts.

I'm convinced that Paul did his own engineering to design his swivel housing, which is very different from Timm's swivel housing. And you realize the since form follows function that the two housings have to look similar. The big difference being that Timm has a casting that can be machined for either left or right side and Paul's castings are specifically right and left side without the extra casting bits.

Our conversion is available for purchase right now and I'm happy to put you in touch with customers that have been happily using our brake conversion for years. Pre-orders are a suckers game - don't pay until products are available and ready to ship.
Granted there is money to make ROAM products up front and have them on the shelf for immediate purchase and immediate gratification.

Unfortunately when Paul got divorced his wife got half the business assets leaving Paul without a whole lot of operating funds & the recession seems to be hitting Europe harder. So Paul is forced to get orders & have a run made to orders.

I have not used either product so can not judge which is better but since they both use Land Rover calipers & rotors I gather the braking experience would be identical.

My truck has the Torrel conversion which is an improvement over front drum brakes on a 109. I have no idea how it compares to the conversions using Land Rover brake components.

#8 ·
Hi Jim,

Yes, we recently added a Rear Only conversion to our website that is intended for vehicles that have discs up front but not in the rear. It is also an ideal solution for D110 owners. Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to discuss.

Thanks!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.