Defender Source Forum banner

Series I '53

Tags
series
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  CDNRover 
#1 ·
Anyone can give infos about buying a Series I '53? I came upon on for sale via a father's friend. Seems to be a '53, I guess it's a 86inch with the 2 litres petrol. What should I be looking for (frame, bulkhead I already knows..) as hard to get pieces?

Jeff

#3 ·
Rust, of course, is your main enemy. Be sure the check the frame under the brake resivior, easy to over look as it is under the passenger seat.
Almost everything is kind of hard to get if you want to keep it original.
LRSOC is the place to get info and parts if you are needing anything. 86" can be easier and cheaper to find parts for, 80" can be very very difficult if you want to keep it original. That said it is a much different story than a series 2.

If it is a 53 it is an 80" ... 54=86"

Quick way to tell is the doors, if they slant in the rear it is an 80 in. Or look at a picture of the bulkhead, they are very different.

#4 ·
I will take a look at the vehicle on Friday. I will get pictures. The owner said it ran perfectly, but now doesn't start.. It seems the gas doesn't get to the carburetor. Hopefully it's only the fuel pump.. Anyone as the workshop manual for Series I? I try to find it on the web with to avail. I have every other one, except the Series I.. I heard stuff about the steering box as being hard to work on and harder to replace?

Thanks lads!

#8 ·
80in are worth more than 86in although 86in are easier to deal with and a bit more practical.

You can retrofit a SII/SIIA steering box, I suppose you could do SIII too if you did not mind the ugly plastic SIII wheel.

Rust is the killer and 80in bulkheads are not that easy to repair (more curved panels than later trucks).

Engines are also very expensive to rebuild.

#9 ·
The first post has a 80" in blue. Later in the thread there is a tan 86" (not the lightweight)
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28010&referrerid=1097

Series 2 boxes can be fit but the might need to be shorted, your preference. My 86"'s box was in great shape inside. Needed new seals only.

They are a fun project, very basic in a really cool way. I'm putting a 200tdi in mine with 2a axles and an overdrive but other than that totally stock.

80" are worth more for sure, But I think the series 1'b' in 86" soft top or 107/109 pickup are my favorite rovers ever.
buy it and post up some pictures:)

#10 ·
When it's too beauty full it's not true.. The owner told me it's a '62.. So keep it.. I thought it was a series I.. I don't have time for another project but a series I is something else.. It's close to a religion.. Like real antic.. Darn it.. I shall wait.. Thanks anyway lads for your support! I keep on working on my 110. Maybe when I have build my garage I will seek for another project.
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.