Series I - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Series I

Tell me why I'm crazy for wanting to buy a series I.

I have really been considering it, looking at one in the southwest. Very little rust, needs a resto but nothing major.
Is this just a bad idea in terms of parts availability? school me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I think that's a perfectly sane thing to do.
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Engine parts are hard to come by and expensive. All the little stuff is much harder to find and much more expensive.

They are slower than SII and up.

They are smaller than SII and up.

Otherwise, they are really cool.
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
On the plus side, a properly driven stock 80" will go just about anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Engine parts are hard to come by and expensive. All the little stuff is much harder to find and much more expensive.

Old June 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM
D90user
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I think that's a perfectly sane thing to do.
Fueling the fire...good

------ Follow up post added June 4th, 2010 01:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

I'm looking at a 1955 86"

The size I like. The speed does concern me but Its not like I would be driving it much.

It seems like many bits can be ordered from the UK. I know it is blasphemy are the mounts different for a 2.25 and a series 3 tranny? I could keep to 2.0 for originality and do a swap for drivability.
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Putting a 2.25 in a series one (other than an 88 or 109 SI) ruins it for me and is not that easy. Also, things like the brake master cylinder (through the floor, not through the bulkhead, 3 bolts on the flange, not 2) and clutch (mechanical not hydraulic) make the swap harder in addition to fouling of the oil pan on the front axle (I know people have done the swap on 80in and 86/107in, but I would not trust it).

BTW the 2.0 litre is a decent engine, and, other than keeping the valves adjusted, is pretty stout. Two of them made it from london to singapore and back with essentially no mechanical break downs in the late 50s.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Get one. They are a lot of fun, and you'll never be the same.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerman View Post
get one. They are a lot of fun, and you'll never be the same.
x2
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:58 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Steve:

Have you seen the grey series one in Berkeley? It belongs to Mehdi. He and Timm Cooper put it together and it is beautiful. Its powered with a rover 6 cylinder engine, has disc brakes all around, with p38 power steering setup and hydroboost brakes and series 3 transmission. I've driven it and its awesome. Its parked at/near the Lanesplitter fairly often.

Daniel

ps- I'd say go for it just for the record!
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:12 AM
D90user
steve

Daniel- Funny, Jeff and I were just talking about that truck. Beautiful truck.
The one I'm looking at is nothing like that, but with a lot of work it could be... maybe.

How is the coiler coming? We should have a east bay rover night.

Everyone- lots of instigators here...
I've pretty much decided I'm going to get one, jut not sure if this one is the one.

Anyone know of any SI's for sale?
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:31 AM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
let me know when we have an east bay night. I still want to see the ambu
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Steve:

I'll happily host it at the Berkeley Lanesplitter. I'll figure out a date in the next few days and post something up here and on the mendo list too. Pizza and beer on me!

My 109 coiler project is currently not making any progress. I've been super busy trying to get the new restaurant in Emeryville open. I think we are about two weeks out and then I can hopefully dedicate some time to it. I've got the body on the chassis, found a salisbury for the rear, Timm is almost done with the new transfer case, so I need to find my engine and transmission next. I think I'm going to settle for a 5.3 vortec/ 4l60e transmission but I really want the 6.0l lq9 engine. We'll see.

The other thing is that I'm going to do a soa on my 88" with 95 rrc axles and I'm going to put a 5cylinder atlas (Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon) engine in it and modify a Scotty's adapter to attach it to the stock series transmission.

I've decided to do this before the 109. I've got all the stuff together except the engine for this project too. Hopefully this summer I'll get to go back to playing with my toys instead of working so much.

Anyway I'll try to set up a Sunday afternoon gathering at the Lanesplitter in Berkeley in the next few weeks.

Daniel

ps- check Dallas craigslist. He's been trying to sell it for about a year now.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1774799691.html
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I got to spend about twenty minutes behind the wheel of a Series One a couple of years ago - driving around the owners property and running some trails. Really neat truck and extremely capable and I'd always thought I'd wanted one (the 54 S1 I owned back in the eighties never ran).

But - and a very big but - there is a tremendous amount of development evident between the S1 and the SII and the SII (especially the SIIA) and the later truck is much easier to live with. The S1's are definitely "old technology - old school" vehicles and drive like an old - make that very old car. Neat for a short time but for something you can actually use the SIIA is a more satisfying and usable vehicle.

The drivers compartment is really cramped and the through the floor pedals are awkward. The ride is best described as "abrupt". Driving the Series One really made me appreciate the SIIA even more if that makes any sense. Land Rover did a great job going from a vehicle that would have a very limited appeal to one that could actually be used as an everyday vehicle. There is almost as big a step from the S1 to the SII as there was from the Series trucks to the first Range Rovers.

It made me appreciate the guys from Oxford and Cambridge who did the First Overland trip even more. I guess I'm really getting soft in my old age....
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

What ever happened to the Series One garage that was on MSN a couple of years ago?
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Steve is that the one you were looking at? Looks awesome. One day.....
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

I did a search and it looks like they all moved over to the Series One Club forum.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
D90user
steve

Thanks for the input everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
Steve:

I'll happily host it at the Berkeley Lanesplitter. I'll figure out a date in the next few days and post something up here and on the mendo list too. Pizza and beer on me!

ps- check Dallas craigslist. He's been trying to sell it for about a year now.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1774799691.html
Awesome. Lets have a rover night.

I saw that one in Texas, looks like a great project. But I really want LHD, and from my understanding the swap is difficult (any input here?). Is it just bulkhead or are there frame issues?

I also requested pictures of the bulkhead rust described in the add so we will see...
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:40 PM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post

I saw that one in Texas, looks like a great project. But I really want LHD, and from my understanding the swap is difficult (any input here?). Is it just bulkhead or are there frame issues?

I also requested pictures of the bulkhead rust described in the add so we will see...
I'm not sure about this but iirc all the chassis are the same with holes for the steering relay on both sides. Not sure about the pedal through the floor bit though. Definitely easier to just find one that doesnt need to be converted.

I'll get my act together on a rover night date and time in the next few days.

Daniel
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:23 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post

Replacement frames are almost always universal LHD or RHD, factory ones you need to cut a hole in the front crossmember and weld in a piece of pipe to make it LHD. You will also need a front axle, a steering box and a heater for the conversion. I know people who fit SII-SIII axles (slightly wider) so the axle should not be a big deal (I have a LHD 109 front axle -- bigger brakes) you can have for cheap. Also, the steering box can be flipped or you can just fit an SII/SIIa box. I am not sure on the brake and clutch pedals whether they are handed or not. I can't recall right now and my SI parts are buried at the moment. Anyway, much less of a big deal to convert an SI-SIIa than an SIII or defender. It would not stop me if the truck was otherwise solid.
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:58 AM
1962siia88
Daniel Rogers
1962siia88

Registry
SF east bay get together/happy hour is on! Hope folks can make it. If the date doesn't work we can change it.

Daniel

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25926

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Series Technical Discussions

Tags
series